Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 67 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 4th edition

Re: 2009 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 4th edition

Ask Western Kentucky, Xavier, or Dayton teams of the past 5-15 years if pre-season ranking doesn't matter. Each program proves, year in and year out, to be better than many ranked above them.

Each, however, has a much tougher road than they should because they aren't ranked early.

Easier to stay in the poll than get in the poll.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Ask Western Kentucky, Xavier, or Dayton teams of the past 5-15 years if pre-season ranking doesn't matter. Each program proves, year in and year out, to be better than many ranked above them.

Each, however, has a much tougher road than they should because they aren't ranked early.

Easier to stay in the poll than get in the poll.
    For mid-majors not necessarily for the big name schools in the premier conferences. And has been pointed out already, the polls are meaningless to the selection committee.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    For mid-majors not necessarily for the big name schools in the premier conferences. And has been pointed out already, the polls are meaningless to the selection committee.
    Exactly right. How many top 25 teams does WKU play a season? Especially during their conference schedule...

Hard to make up ground when you don't play anybody which makes getting an early ranking much more important.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

How many Top 25 teams did Kentucky play last season in the SEC?

One?

Two?

I don't think there's more than that.

UT was, I think, when Meeks torched them for 54. Was LSU when they got beat last second?
    -- Christy Matthewson
    -- Leo Durocher

How many Top 25 teams did Kentucky play last season in the SEC?

One?

Two?

I don't think there's more than that.

UT was, I think, when Meeks torched them for 54. Was LSU when they got beat last second?
    You're telling me the SEC was down last year? I had no idea.

I'm talking about the majority of the time.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Okay, how about this one from a few years ago:

Team One is ranked Top 20 pre-season and wins more than it loses (9-6) in a tough conference. (Conference ranked toughest in the nation that year.) They play a decent schedule (Top 20), lose 9 games, win 22. According to Sagarin, their RPI was 42. They were seeded #7.

Team Two, meanwhile, was nowhere near the Top 20 pre-season. In fact, they were expected to struggle. They went 9-6 also in a tough conference (ranked #2/3 overall), lost nine games, won 21. According to Sagarin, their RPI was 44 (outside conference SoS was 16th). Their seeding? #12.
    Last edited by Scrap Irony; 06-22-2009 at 02:23 AM.
    -- Christy Matthewson
    -- Leo Durocher

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Rumor going around regarding two former UK players on the NBA front:

Pistons get:
    PG-Rajon Rondo
    SG-Ray Allen

Celtics get-
    SF-Tayshaun Prince
    SG-Rip Hamilton

Gotta love that deal for the Celtics. Rondo has been getting the "me-first" label with the Celtics that he got at Kentucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

From everything I read, that deal was shot down, FWIW.

The latest rumor I've heard is Rondo + Scalabrine for Rudy Gay + Mike Conley.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    From everything I read, that deal was shot down, FWIW.

The latest rumor I've heard is Rondo + Scalabrine for Rudy Gay + Mike Conley.
    Yeah, I think Rodney Stuckey was in the deal as well. Can't say I blame the Pistons. Leave Stuckey out and its a fair deal.

No way the Memphis rumor happens. If it did though, could you imagine Rondo and Mayo on the same team? Wouldn't be enough basketballs to go around to keep those two happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

If I'm the Celtics, I take that deal all day and twice on Sundays. Gay is a solid, solid player and Conley, while slightly below average thus far, will at least distribute and hit the open three (40% from 3-point range).

Problem is, neither Conley nor Gay play any defense at all. And Rondo's press was great early in the playoffs. (He may have been the MVP of the First Round and was certainly among the best two or three players in the round.) Boston fans may see this as part of a rebuilding process and not improving the team.

And Rondo and Mayo would be fun to watch. Many would say both are selfish, but Rondo's proven himself unselish to the extreme in high school, college, and in the pro ranks. The Mayo/ Rondo guard duo for Memphis may not be the best shooting duo in the NBA, but they might be the most athletic. And certainly wuld be the best rebounding.
    Last edited by Scrap Irony; 06-24-2009 at 01:22 PM.
    -- Christy Matthewson
    -- Leo Durocher

Trade for Rondo, draft Thabeet, and pray to God that it works out.

Horrible deal for Memphis, which is precisely why it may come to fruition

Here's another Grizzlies rumor:

The #2 pick and Millicic to the Knicks for David Lee, Quentin Richardson and #8.

We will see.

I believe that the Grizzlies need a top-flight power forward more than another center--Marc Gasol isn't bad at all.

Back to Kentucky news..

It is rumored that Meeks has recieved at least an early second round commitment, presumably from the Nuggets or Pistons.

The scrimmages have been very intense. Eric Bledsoe in particular has been turning heads.

Have you been to the scrimmages, WilyMo? If so, I'd love some play-by-play, of a sort. Unfortunately for UK fans, Miller, Patterson, and Orton are all off-campus and should be until late July/ early August.

Lots of questions not yet answered in Lexington. Who's going to shoot? Neither Bledsoe nor Wall is known for his outside shot. Miller didn't shoot well last season either. Dodson is untested as well. Cousins was okay in high school, but that's just that-- high school. Patterson couldn't shoot at all outside of ten feet last year. Neither could anyone else on the Kentucky team. (In fact, you could argue that Stephenson is the best returning shooter on the team.)

Hood may be a good choice, but he's also a freshman and the least balleyhooed of the bunch. (He's only the 42nd best HS player in the nation, after all.) Not to mention he's, like, 140 lbs.
    -- Christy Matthewson
    -- Leo Durocher

No I haven't been to any scrimmages but I've read reports by those who have.

Miller actually shot very well from the perimeter towards the end of the season. He can be expected to contribute perimeter offense next season along with Dodson.

Perry is the best what??? I don't think he's anywhere close to being the best shooter on the team. Hell, Josh Harrellson can shoot better than Perry.

(It's spelled Stevenson, btw)

Turn Off Ads?