Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 1000

Thread: 2009 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 4th edition

  1. #31
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: 2009 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 4th edition

    Memphis: No proof ex-player cheated
    ESPN.com news services

    MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Memphis was unable to find proof that a former player cheated on his SAT exam in its internal investigation of NCAA allegations against the men's basketball team.

    The investigation report, released to The Associated Press and other news outlets Tuesday under a public records request, details Memphis' internal investigation into allegations that a former player allowed a stand-in to take his SAT test and of grade tampering.

    Memphis was first notified by the NCAA by e-mail in May 2008, one month after the Tigers lost to Kansas in the national championship game, that star freshman point guard Derrick Rose had an invalidated standardized test score the previous year at Chicago's Simeon High School, multiple sources with direct knowledge of an e-mail told ESPN.com

    Most names in the report released Tuesday were redacted by Memphis because of privacy concerns, but an attorney for Rose has acknowledged that Rose cooperated with an investigation of similar allegations while still a student.

    Memphis will present its findings to the NCAA Committee on Infractions on Saturday.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4224139

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,419

    Re: 2009 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 4th edition

    So how did these allegations come to the NCAA's attention? Will we ever know?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  4. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: 2009 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 4th edition

    And if this is indeed the case, will public opinion change from "Calipari is slimy" to "Calipari was wrong"? By all accounts (aside from Forde, who knows a thing or two about obfuscating), Calipari knew nothing about the Rose/SAT debacle. But public opinion doesn't need proof to denigrate nor evidence to sermonize.

    In this case, IMO, Pandora's Box has been opened, for good or ill. Calipari will always be seen as guilty, if not caught.

    I wonder how, though, he can't get away with it, but Coach K and Roy Williams can? Pitino, too, for that matter. What's the difference in the coaches? K's program has been caught three different times in the past fifteen years or so and Williams' KU program was also saddled with sanctions. Pitino got caught early in his career, much like Calipari, but nothing came of it and he's widely regarded as fairly clean.

    How are those coaches (and others) looked over and other villified?

    I could see Knight, as there never was, IIRC, a whiff of an NCAA problem on his watch. Same with a select few like him-- Dean Smith, John Thompson, John Wooden-- none had the NCAA sniffing around them ever (though, to be fair, many former UCLA players have confirmed $100 handshakes and other bonuses to play for Wooden's Bruins in the early 70's, among them, Bill Walton).

    You could argue the program, but that doesn't wash with Kentucky and Pitino, as UK is among the most penalized in NCAA history. Same thing with IU and Sampson.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  5. #34
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: 2009 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 4th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    And if this is indeed the case, will public opinion change from "Calipari is slimy" to "Calipari was wrong"? By all accounts (aside from Forde, who knows a thing or two about obfuscating), Calipari knew nothing about the Rose/SAT debacle. But public opinion doesn't need proof to denigrate nor evidence to sermonize.

    In this case, IMO, Pandora's Box has been opened, for good or ill. Calipari will always be seen as guilty, if not caught.

    I wonder how, though, he can't get away with it, but Coach K and Roy Williams can? Pitino, too, for that matter. What's the difference in the coaches? K's program has been caught three different times in the past fifteen years or so and Williams' KU program was also saddled with sanctions. Pitino got caught early in his career, much like Calipari, but nothing came of it and he's widely regarded as fairly clean.

    How are those coaches (and others) looked over and other villified?

    I could see Knight, as there never was, IIRC, a whiff of an NCAA problem on his watch. Same with a select few like him-- Dean Smith, John Thompson, John Wooden-- none had the NCAA sniffing around them ever (though, to be fair, many former UCLA players have confirmed $100 handshakes and other bonuses to play for Wooden's Bruins in the early 70's, among them, Bill Walton).

    You could argue the program, but that doesn't wash with Kentucky and Pitino, as UK is among the most penalized in NCAA history. Same thing with IU and Sampson.
    Calipari didn't "get caught" doing ANYTHING improper at UMASS.

    Coach Cal has never been personally implicated in any improprieties.

    I'm not going to go into the specific violations by individuals, but the media, particularly idiots like Pat Forde, showed a disturbing amount of hypocritical reporting throughout this "story." But Forde is in bed with Pitino so it's not exactly difficult to figure out, in his case at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  6. #35
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,419

    Re: 2009 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 4th edition

    Carl Henry says his sons will play for Kansas and that the rumors of the last couple days are bunk.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  7. #36
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: 2009 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 4th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Carl Henry says his sons will play for Kansas and that the rumors of the last couple days are bunk.
    I'm shocked.

  8. #37
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,419

    Re: 2009 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 4th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I'm shocked.
    Stunned.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  9. #38
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: 2009 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 4th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Stunned.
    C'mon. You know you believed that rumor from the get-go.

  10. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: 2009 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 4th edition

    Okay, fine, WMR, the NCAA found a member of Calipari's team had signed with an agent without his knowledge. The question still stands. (And I really don't want this turned into a "jealousy" thing.)
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  11. #40
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: 2009 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 4th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Okay, fine, WMR, the NCAA found a member of Calipari's team had signed with an agent without his knowledge. The question still stands. (And I really don't want this turned into a "jealousy" thing.)
    Who's talking jealousy? That doesn't need to be part of this discussion at all. People like--or dislike--schools for a plethora of reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  12. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: 2009 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 4th edition

    Okay, I think you referred to "haters" who "feared" Kentucky's emerging dominance. Still, that's a side issue to the one posted above.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  13. #42
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: 2009 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 4th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Okay, I think you referred to "haters" who "feared" Kentucky's emerging dominance. Still, that's a side issue to the one posted above.
    There is certainly the hater contingent. That's obvious. It's only a story if you can somehow tie it to John Calipari or Kentucky. Otherwise, nobody cares.

    That's not really germane to the issue being discussed, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  14. #43
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: 2009 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 4th edition

    Coach Cal is leaving for China on Wednesday. He says that his itinerary is absolutely jam packed. That would be cool to have a stud Chinese player attend Kentucky. I'm sure they've got some sick prospects who perhaps aren't quite ready for the NBA. Plus this would be massive positive PR for China.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  15. #44
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: 2009 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 4th edition

    Dozier went to Memphis, not Georgia, because of SAT flap
    June 2, 2009
    By Gary Parrish
    CBSSports.com Senior Writer

    On the same day that the Memphis released its response to NCAA allegations that Derrick Rose had someone take his SAT for him, sources told CBSSports.com that Rose's former teammate, Robert Dozier, only played for the Tigers because Georgia declined to enroll the in-state product over concerns that he might've similarly had someone take his SAT.

    According to a source, Dozier took the SAT once before trying to enroll at Georgia, but that score was flagged after the school received a tip that the score might be "fishy." At the time, Georgia was still dealing with charges of academic fraud under Jim Harrick and determined to be extra careful with everything. So the school asked Dozier to take the SAT again, and a source with knowledge of the situation told CBSSports.com that the second score was "not enough to resolve the issue." Put another way, Georgia officials were not properly convinced the first test and second test were taken by the same person, which led to the end of Dozier's time as a Georgia recruit in August 2004.

    Dozier subsequently enrolled at Laurinburg Prep along with four other future Tigers (Antonio Anderson, Shawne Williams, Kareem Cooper and Roburt Sallie). About a month later, he committed to Memphis for a second time -- Dozier was actually committed to Memphis before he ever signed with Georgia -- and eventually helped the Tigers make the 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 NCAA tournaments under John Calipari while becoming the winningest Division I men's basketball player in history (along with Anderson and Chance McGrady).

    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...story/11813089

  16. #45
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: 2009 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 4th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Coach Cal is leaving for China on Wednesday. He says that his itinerary is absolutely jam packed. That would be cool to have a stud Chinese player attend Kentucky. I'm sure they've got some sick prospects who perhaps aren't quite ready for the NBA. Plus this would be massive positive PR for China.
    One of them I saw in an article on Yahoo earlier this week is about 7'9.

    It's going to be hard to get anybody exceptionally skilled because of the NBA.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25