Turn Off Ads?
Page 42 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 4th edition

Re: 2009 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 4th edition

Gotta love KSR:

Rick Pitino comment's (this is obviously fake):

“Here we are on this, the day of Columbus—intrepid pioneer of the Americas, fortifier of man, breath of hope to the breathless—and you guys want to talk about a minor transgression involving two of my players? I realize we live in a world where news gets reported and everything, but to take away from the accomplishments of a man like Sir Christopher Columbus is not only a gross disservice to the Columbus family, but to each and every one of us fortunate enough to call this land, ‘our land.’ This is a non-issue and one that will be handled internally…
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

A bar fight, according to the news, at a UofL alumni function, with Smith allegedly getting tasered.

Man, Louisville's karma is in serious need of polishing. Has any university had a worse last four months?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    A bar fight, according to the news, at a UofL alumni function, with Smith allegedly getting tasered. Man, Louisville's karma is in serious need of polishing. Has any university had a worse last four months?
    Their primary competition for that honor would be Memphis.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

A bar fight, according to the news, at a UofL alumni function, with Smith allegedly getting tasered.

Man, Louisville's karma is in serious need of polishing. Has any university had a worse last four months?
    I think you may have mis-quoted the news story (or they mis-told it). First, Jennings was tasered not Smith. Second, Kye's is not a bar but a relatively high-profile reception/special event hall. It is very popular for wedding receptions or events like the alumni event. Third, Jennings may have been drinking (the full story hasn't come out) but if he was a charge will be added for underage drinking since he is only 20. I haven't heard anything regarding that.

They were both charged with a misdemeanor for resisting arrest because apparently one of the guys involved was an off-duty cop. All of the speculation I've seen suggests that the charges will be dropped because nothing of consequence really happened. Basically, Jennings lost has cool, got agitated, the cop tried to pull him away and was unsuccessful so he tased him.

I will agree, however, that in light of all of the bad news UofL has had, it certainly doesn't help to have your senior captain and starting center arrested regardless of the severity of their crime.

This is the article in the C-J:
    University of Louisville basketball players Jerry Smith and Terrence Jennings were released from a Southern Indiana jail on Sunday morning after being arrested the night before on misdemeanor charges stemming from an altercation at an alumni homecoming party, according to a university official.

U of L spokesman Kenny Klein said he did not have complete details of the incident but confirmed that Smith and Jennings were released from the Clark County jail Sunday morning.

Klein said Jennings and Smith were attending the UofL alumni homecoming party at Kye's in Jeffersonville when the altercation occurred late Saturday night. Jennings was arrested and hit with a police Taser in the process, Klein said.

He said the two were jailed on misdemeanor charges of resisting arrest.

Further details about the incident were unavailable. Calls made to a Jeffersonville police spokesman by The Courier-Journal were not immediately returned.
    Last edited by joshnky; 10-13-2009 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I don't think he will have any energy after delivering all those presents, hiding all those Easter eggs, and putting all those quarters under kids' pillows.

Now he's morphed into the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy as well? The kid can do it all.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post

Now he's morphed into the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy as well? The kid can do it all.
    You guys will be getting your own Santa soon when Kyr...

woops, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    I think you may have mis-quoted the news story (or they mis-told it). First, Jennings was tasered not Smith. Second, Kye's is not a bar but a relatively high-profile reception/special event hall. It is very popular for wedding receptions or events like the alumni event. Third, Jennings may have been drinking (the full story hasn't come out) but if he was a charge will be added for underage drinking since he is only 20. I haven't heard anything regarding that.
    The story, from WHAS 11, stated Smith was tasered. Too, while it did mention Kyle's, it also mentioned that Jennings was at the bar (of the restaurant, I suppose, as they showed it on television) when the fight took place. It didn't say he was drinking, but I can see where I wasn't real clear with my word choice there.

I agree that it's much ado about nothing, but it's bad PR for a program and university that needs something-- anything-- to go right.

PS: Anyone want to bet on the NCAA reversing their decision on Memphis? I'm guessing they'll re-allow the wins. But common sense has never been the NCAA's strong suit, so who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    You guys will be getting your own Santa soon when Kyr...

woops, my bad.
    Not all championship teams have a Santa Claus on the roster. Nor is it a necessity. Losing Kyrie definitely stung though.

The story, from WHAS 11, stated Smith was tasered. Too, while it did mention Kyle's, it also mentioned that Jennings was at the bar (of the restaurant, I suppose, as they showed it on television) when the fight took place. It didn't say he was drinking, but I can see where I wasn't real clear with my word choice there. I agree that it's much ado about nothing, but it's bad PR for a program and university that needs something-- anything-- to go right. PS: Anyone want to bet on the NCAA reversing their decision on Memphis? I'm guessing they'll re-allow the wins. But common sense has never been the NCAA's strong suit, so who knows?
    So Memphis should be allowed to keep wins in which they played an ineligible player? You guys would be all over this if it had been UNC or IU or Louisville. The posts on the Jennings/Smith situation prove that.

Wrong. Scrap is just employing common sense. He's not even a UK fan, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Wrong. Scrap is just employing common sense. He's not even a UK fan, by the way.
    Common sense says it is ok to ignore what Rose did?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    So Memphis should be allowed to keep wins in which they played an ineligible player? You guys would be all over this if it had been UNC or IU or Louisville. The posts on the Jennings/Smith situation prove that.
    IMO,it's moronic to strip any teams of wins after the fact. The games did happen. You can never take them away. If a player was deemed ineligible after the fact then just put an asterisk in the record books stating that after the season a player(s) for Team X was ruled ineligible. If anything the school should give back the $$$ they received for advancing in the NCAA tournament or in football, bowl game money. Stripping wins is just an easy way for the NCAA to punish schools but in all reality it does nothing at all.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

In past cases, the NCAA has given the university and coach a pass if they didn't know the player was ineligible. For example, Corey Maggette was, by definition, an ineligible player before he enrolled at Duke. (He signed with an agent at an AAU event before playing a game at the university.)

Because they (the NCAA) didn't catch it and verified his eligibility, the NCAA then agreed with Duke that neither the Duke coach nor the university should be held accountable for their error.

With Memphis, the opposite has happened.

Shouldn't happen both ways, but the NCAA isn't exactly a fair governing body, IMO, and certainly can't be considered partial, even by their most ardent supporter, so who really knows?

And, for what it's worth, I am a Western Kentucky Hilltopper fan, but am also a fan of good basketball and dynasties like the ones at Kentucky, North Carolina, UCLA, and Duke.

3 things. 1. Ncaa tourney appearance money goes to the conferences, not the school. 2. The Ncaa investigation of Duke and the Maggette situation is still open afaik. Is it shady as heck that the criminal justice system acted on that situation before the ncaa has? Yes. 3. Memphis is the 11th program to be forced to vacate a Final 4, including the Hilltoppers. It is how the ncaa deals with stuff like Rose. I don't know how folks can act surprised that's how they handled it.

So Memphis gets punished because the NCAA thinks Rose (or another alleged player) now cheated on his SAT, yet, at the time, the NCAA told that same team (after reviewing that same test, mind you) he was eligible?

Does that make sense to anyone?

This was done without the school, coach, or anyone else knowing. It was okayed by the same institution that now says it's not good.

Yet...

UCLA's transgressions are ignored as "ancient history" after Bill Walton and others confirm boosters gave them cash and other considerations while playing for John Wooden.

The closest example of a similar happening came from Kentucky, during the infamous Eddie Sutton era. (No surprise there, as Kentucky is one of the NCAA's whipping boys.) Sutton had a player who cheated on his entrance exam. (IIRC, Eric Manuel) Yet, though the probation for other infractions were severe (probation, money, lack of TV and scholarships, loss of players), the team never had to vacate wins (like Memphis).

So far, I see an institution that haphazardly enforces rules depending on everything but common sense. The university did no wrong (little wrong, as evidenced by the plane ticket/ money issue). The coach did no wrong.

Common sense says they shouldn't be punished.

Turn Off Ads?