Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: If we were to redo our prospect rankings, who would you rank #1?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yonder Alonso

73 81.11%
  • Zach Cozart

0 0%
  • Matt Fairel

0 0%
  • Juan Francisco

0 0%
  • Todd Frazier

2 2.22%
  • Chris Heisey

4 4.44%
  • Matt Maloney

0 0%
  • Neftali Soto

1 1.11%
  • Zach Stewart

3 3.33%
  • Drew Stubbs

5 5.56%
  • Juan Carlos Sulbaran

0 0%
  • Travis Wood

1 1.11%
  • Other (name him)

1 1.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If we were to redo our prospect rankings, who would you rank #1?

If we were to redo our prospect rankings, who would you rank #1?

If we were to redo our prospect rankings today, who would you rank #1? Would Alonso still rank #1, or have you seen something in 50 games that changed your mind? I voted for Alonso back in October, but I would change my vote and it has nothing to do with Alonso. He's having a very good season...but...

I would have to vote for Chris Heisey at this point. He's hitting a robust .357/.442/.573 - 1.015 OPS in Double-A, with 15 doubles, 2 triples, and 6 homers in 171 atbats. He's also stolen nine bases in 10 attempts and has an impressive 24 BB/13 K ratio. He also plays an above average center field, which makes him all the more valuable.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 05-29-2009 at 02:19 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If we were to redo our prospect rankings, who would you rank #1?

id still go with Alonso.
    Heisey would be in my top 5 probably now though.

I would stick with Alonso. He hasn't done anything to lose his ranking. Heisey has obviously made a statement, but I would still take Alonso any day of the week.

The only players close to Alonso are Stewart and Stubbs IMO.

Yonder

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Yonder
    Me, too. There's not a single doubt in my mind either.

Maybe re-do it (or top 20?) at the All-Star break when the team has a couple days off, and the season is approximately half over. A mid-season review, sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Maybe re-do it (or top 20?) at the All-Star break when the team has a couple days off, and the season is approximately half over. A mid-season review, sort of.
    Great idea.

I consider Alonso entirely in a category by himself.

Still Yonder. In fact, I expect his numbers to jump once he gets to Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Great idea.
    After the draft would be a good time.

I agree with everyone about Alonso, Heisey close behind, Stubbs and Stewart but I'd jump Zach Cozart up into the top 10 or 12, too. His glove is golden and the kid is upping his OBP into respectable territory. Power has slipped from last year a bit but I worry less about that right now than getting on base and discipline. He's far from a sure thing but looking stronger all the time as a prospect. With his glove I'd take his numbers right now at the plate and quit worrying about SS for 5 or 6 years. Of course translating those numbers into similar stats as he progresses - yeah it's a question but an intriguing one.

Alonso easily for me.

Assuming Bailey, Dickerson, Hanigan, Rosales, Herrera and Fisher are no longer eligible, I'd follow with Stubbs (2), Stewart (3), Heisey (4) and then it gets dicey. I'd probably still go with Frazier (5) and Soto (6) next. Then I'd need to think a little.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Stewart, by a long shot. He has a good chance to be a 2/3 in the bigs. If he is a 2 then he is the top prospect at this point. Yonder can hit, but pitching trumps a bat anytime.

I still said Alonso, but I'll happily eat crow about Stubbs. I'd happily take a .375/.425 gold glove CF with speed right about now.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Stewart, by a long shot. He has a good chance to be a 2/3 in the bigs. If he is a 2 then he is the top prospect at this point. Yonder can hit, but pitching trumps a bat anytime.
    Not necessarily. Pitching may edge out hitting when you are comparing two players on a similar level, but Alonso is far more advanced than Stewart and has much better "projectability". While he has been dominant as a starter this season, he has only 11 IP at the AA level and more importantly only 53 innings as a starter while a professional. Stewart is a solid prospect for sure but we cannot count on him being a starting pitcher once he reaches the big leagues, he didn't even start in college. While he has a high ceiling, his floor is much lower than Alonso's.

Turn Off Ads?