Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do violent games really lead to real world violence?

Re: Do violent games really lead to real world violence?

I don't think they cause otherwise non-violent people to become violent.

I do think that games and movies have desensitized us to violence, though. Things which would have been too horrific to even imagine back in the day are now just another scene in many movies and games.

We've completely lost our sense of outrage.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    However, I developed a taste for violent video games and am now a homicidal maniac. What is your address?
    I'm every Cubs fan in Chicago. Come and get me.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I don't think they cause otherwise non-violent people to become violent.

I do think that games and movies have desensitized us to violence, though. Things which would have been too horrific to even imagine back in the day are now just another scene in many movies and games.

We've completely lost our sense of outrage.
    I disagree. Real-world violence still puts our society on edge. Think back to the public reaction to the Columbine massacre, and to the 9/11 attacks.

I do believe that violent media can elicit violent behavior in some individuals, and can provide catharsis for other individuals. But I think the for the vast majority of people, real violence is still horrifying.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Nah. Although the two dozen heads in my deep freeze might disagree with me.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

An entire generation of kids raised on looney tunes seemed to surive just fine without blaming the rather violent cartoon for Ted Bundy & John Wayne Gacy.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

I did a research project on this freshmen year (I am in the 11th now)

Turns out that when you are watching a violent/scary movie, a certain type of aderline is released in the mind (name escapes me now). which gives you a little jump, which is why it is fun to watch those types of movies. typically that aderline lasts for just a few seconds, which is harmless. But sometimes, that aderline stays in there for minuets, hours, even days, which is where you get the killers. so don't say that "NO IT CAN NOT HAPPEN" because it can.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

http://www.sciencenewsforkids.org/ar...4/Feature1.asp

Nice Artical on this subject, it is from Science news for kids, so even people who disagree with me can understand it! LMAO, JK JK
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Turn Off Ads?