Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: End of May top 40

Re: End of May top 40

The Reds consider Miguel Rojas to be the top prospect among position players on the Dayton team, followed by Kevin Coddington. Sappelt would be limited to left field due to lack of arm strength and does not project well there due to lack of power. Puckett is hitting so well that he has to be opening some eyes but may have to move to left field. The Reds have too many guys throughout the system right now who can hit a little but project to be able to play only left field at the major league level. One high level member of the Reds player development staff commented that unfortunately, you can only play one guy at a time in left field. Rojas is the only position player on the Dayton club with a skill that projects to major league quality. They are hoping he can hit well enought to be a better Ray Olmedo. Defensively, he reminds me a little of how Alex Gonzalez looked in the Midwest League in the mid-90s.

I am surprised that Fairel has not gotten more attention on here.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    I am surprised that Fairel has not gotten more attention on here.
    What type of velocity does Fairel have? Kevin Goldstein says he's throwing at above average velocity. If that's true, he may be a top ten prospect in the Reds system.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Fairel is 87-89, similar to Horst. Fairel seems to have a little more deceptiveness in his delivery because he does throw fastballs past people at times. There are some comparisons to Horst because both are left handed and both have been very effective without throwing real hard. Horst has the one great pitch with the change-up, and Fairel does not have any single pitch as good as Horst is with his change-up. Fairel has pitched better than his 4-2, 2.40 numbers indicate and leads the entire organization in strikeouts. He was given 4-5 round money and if he had been a fourth round pick, I would think he would be getting more pub. Much better pitcher than Scott Carroll, taken in the 3rd round a year earlier. Fairel was drafted as a true sophomore out of Florida State but was eligible because he turned 21 within 30 days of the draft. I don't think Fairel is a top-10, but maybe in the low 20's with a chance to move into the high teens by the end of the season. Hard for me to say right now who is the better prospect between Fairel and Sulbaran.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I can see that. I was higher on Heisey than the board was and had him at number 12 over the winter so for me, it isn't as big a move. Many of the guys I had ahead of him are injured (Thompson and Lotzkar), having poor seasons (Dorn) or ineligible (Dickerson). I am also skeptical of Valaika (had him at number 16 over the winter) and to a lesser degree Frazier of being able to nail down a position at the major league level that the bat will justify. I've never liked the Todd Walker offense first model in the middle infield and I just don't know if they have the bats to carry a corner spot. Frazier seems to have gone a little nuts lately so that makes me feel a bit better. All three of Frazier, Soto and Valaika have some plate discipline issues with Frazier seeming to be the best of the three in that area. I moved Stubbs up to number two, but prefer Heisey at this point. I think Stubbs 1st round pedigree may give him more trade value, so he stays ahead of Heisey.

I can't ignore what the pitchers are doing and guys like Stewart, Smith, Maloney, Horst, Fairel, Sulbaran and Wood have made the biggest moves for me.
    I do recall your thoughts on Valaika. I am still on the fence with him as I am not yet convinced one way or the other about his ability to stick at SS. If I were then I'd have to agree with you about him. Frazier I'm holding firm on that he will eventually be the Reds 3B. I have no doubt he can play it, play it well and hit well enough to be above average overall. I sort of see him as a Mike Lowell type of player, a little rough around the edges at 1st but he should get better with age. But the reason I rate him so high is along with above average skills all the way around he is that fiery leader type we need to compliment Votto. I give Yonder the nod over him due to Yonder's bat being special. Soto is another who I think will be above average to potentially special with the bat. Those things all keep them at the top of my list until I see a definite issue arise.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?