Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saturday May 30th 5/30/09 Minor League Updates

Re: Saturday May 30th 5/30/09 Minor League Updates

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    good spot start by Parch, if you take Alonso away from Sarasota doesnt that leave them without much, keep things balanced and at least wait until after the draft, there's no hurry.
    I could not care less about Sarasota's needs as a team.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've thought all along that Alonso's time of Cincinnati arrival should be Spring 2010. I still think so and the uncertainty surrounding Joey Votto should now make that even clearer. Thus IMO they should get him to AA ASAP with the idea of getting him at least a month and half at Louisville. And any talk of trading him is, IMHO, ridiculous, now more than ever.

good spot start by Parch, if you take Alonso away from Sarasota doesnt that leave them without much, keep things balanced and at least wait until after the draft, there's no hurry.
    They would still have Neftali Soto and honestly, I would think long and hard about promoting Cody Puckett from Dayton.

Sure, Soto's overall numbers look bad but April was rough... While May looks like the rest of his professional career (.363/.400/.516 with 5BB/13K). Puckett is hitting the cover off of the ball in Dayton and isn't a young guy really. He has a 1.050 OPS with 15 doubles, a triple and 5 HR in May.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I could not care less about Sarasota's needs as a team.
    youre not the GM thank God

Any GM who's conducting his business in order to appease a high A affiliate the club intends to drop after this season ... well, incompetence doesn't begin to describe it.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I think its more along the lines of 'I don't care if they lose their best player because we want him getting more experience against better competition'.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Eymann: 2-for-4 two RBI, walk
    Wow, that's already Eymann's 15th walk this year. In 125 games, he had only 25 walks last year.

On Soto, his May is extremely impressive for the FSL. I'm not at all worried about his tough April. The kid's twenty, has put up a. 916 for May, and in a tough pitcher's league. I think the FO's going to have to start thinking about this kid's eventual position and sooner rather than later. Doug, you've probably thought more about this than anybody else, where do you see Soto playing finally? Does he have the defensive tools to play 3b? How's he compare there to Frazier?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    On Soto, his May is extremely impressive for the FSL. I'm not at all worried about his tough April. The kid's twenty, has put up a. 916 for May, and in a tough pitcher's league. I think the FO's going to have to start thinking about this kid's eventual position and sooner rather than later. Doug, you've probably thought more about this than anybody else, where do you see Soto playing finally? Does he have the defensive tools to play 3b? How's he compare there to Frazier?
    He has the ability to be an average 3B in the majors, but he has a ways to go to get there. Frazier was likely better, but he didn't play much 3B. It wouldn't surprise me if Soto wound up at another position though.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Any GM who's conducting his business in order to appease a high A affiliate the club intends to drop after this season ... well, incompetence doesn't begin to describe it.
    Thanks. Thought that was obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Thanks. Thought that was obvious.
    It was. All you were doing was making sense.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

It was. All you were doing was making sense.
    It makes sense to just stop the development of Parker and Eymann because Alonso's at .300, why stop there just send him to Louisville to take Dorn's spot, I know, I know I dont know nothing and you guys know everything, your right Im wrong, you win, I lose.

It makes sense to just stop the development of Parker and Eymann because Alonso's at .300, why stop there just send him to Louisville to take Dorn's spot, I know, I know I dont know nothing and you guys know everything, your right Im wrong, you win, I lose.
    I'm one of Parker's biggest fans and I like Dorn as well. But Alonso is a franchise player, those others are role players. They need to step aside if necessary.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm one of Parker's biggest fans and I like Dorn as well. But Alonso is a franchise player, those others are role players. They need to step aside if necessary.
    Bingo.

Plus, membengal was talking about there being no need for the Reds to consider Sarasota's chances of winning when making player decisions, though apparently that's now shifted to Parker and Eymann (and Dorn for that matter) should not be tampered with -- which is patently wrong-headed for the reasons you listed.

I could see the argument that Alonso is hitting well, but not so well that he couldn't benefit from more time in the FSL. Yet protecting Sarasota, Parker or Eymann (and I'm not even sure how Alonso's promotion would affect Eymann, who plays on the other side of the diamond) simply aren't viable concerns.
    Last edited by M2; 05-31-2009 at 04:17 PM.

Bingo.

Plus, membengal was talking about there being no need for the Reds to consider Sarasota's chances of winning when making player decisions, though apparently that's now shifted to Parker and Eymann (and Dorn for that matter) should not be tampered with -- which is patently wrong-headed for the reasons you listed.

I could see the argument that Alonso is hitting well, but not so well that he couldn't benefit from more time in the FSL. Yet protecting Sarasota, Parker or Eymann (and I'm not even sure how Alonso's promotion would affect Eymann, who plays on the other side of the diamond) simply aren't viable concerns.
    he (membengal) jumped in when I was responding to redhawk61's post and all I was saying is just because Alonso goes 2-2 no need for him to be in AAA, I understand membengal not caring about Sarasota, but he aint the GM and thats why you see the true GM not making moves because of guys having a great game, they make the adjustments IMO when someone at the big league level gets hurt, when someone in the minors ahead of Alonso gets hurt, after a draft, thats when you see those moves come because they try to keep things balanced (a couple of player at each position at each level), I know you guys like Alonso, I do too, but he aint moving until the GM has to make a move because of the draft and someone goes on the DL.

Turn Off Ads?