Turn Off Ads?

Thread: MLB voids Nationals' return of Rule 5 pitcher to Reds

MLB voids Nationals' return of Rule 5 pitcher to Reds

From the Washington Post's Nationals blog:

Two weeks ago, the Nationals returned Terrell Young, their Rule 5 draft pick, to the Cincinnati Reds. But once Young reported, he complained of shoulder tendinitis -- with symptoms similar to those that held him out of spring training, while with Washington. Because of that injury, Major League Baseball has voided Young's return, meaning that the reliever is back on Washington's 40-man roster. And back on the 15-day disabled list. On Thursday, orthopedist James Andrews will perform exploratory surgery on Young's right shoulder.

I'll let acting GM Mike Rizzo elaborate...

"The situation is, we sent him back to Cincinnati as part of the Rule 5 return policy. And when we sent him back there, he was throwing successfully and pain-free. When the Reds got him, he discovered he had a little tendinitis in his shoulder. So they contacted us, and we asked them to bring him back to us and have our doctors see him again... We did find a continuation of the tendinitis, and Dr. [James] Andrews recommended we do an exploratory surgery to see what, if anything, is going on."

Asked about whether Young was healthy at the time of his return to Cinci, Rizzo said, "Well, he went on his throwing program, so we ramped him up to game speed. He pitched in one game for us and said he felt great, everything was good, so we deemed him healthy and we sent him back to the Reds."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB voids Nationals' return of Rule 5 pitcher to Reds

This is ridiculous. The Nats would never send us a pitcher with a pre-existing injury.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'm willing to take the hit in warning points..

Wtf?
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Asked about whether Young was healthy at the time of his return to Cinci, Rizzo said, "Well, he went on his throwing program, so we ramped him up to game speed. He pitched in one game for us and said he felt great, everything was good, so we deemed him healthy and we sent him back to the Reds."
    So that's why so many National pitchers get hurt. Their idea of monitoring their health is to ask them how they feel, and trust that. Do they even have a team doctor?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    So that's why so many National pitchers get hurt. Their idea of monitoring their health is to ask them how they feel, and trust that. Do they even have a team doctor?
    Yes, they do. It is called "the other team's doctor".

Too bad that the Reds couldn't have sent 'The Magic Man' back to the Nats.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    I'm willing to take the hit in warning points..

Wtf?
    Make that two of us. The Nationals/Reds situation is almost hysterical.

So....Let's see if I understand this straight.
    The Nat's draft the guy, pay the fee to take a looksee and he gets hurt.
    They rehab him, decide he's not worth a year long slot on their 40 man roster and return him to the reds.
    On coming back to the reds, the dude decides he's still hurt. He goes back to the Nats.
    Who decide that yes indeed he is hurt. We will operate on him and stash him on the DL for the rest of the season and he will stay our property.

If the nats docs had any indication that he was hurt, they would have kept him on the DL to begin with. That's odd. Sounds like the dude wants to stay with the pitching poor nationals.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    So....Let's see if I understand this straight.
    The Nat's draft the guy, pay the fee to take a looksee and he gets hurt.
    They rehab him, decide he's not worth a year long slot on their 40 man roster and return him to the reds.
    On coming back to the reds, the dude decides he's still hurt. He goes back to the Nats.
    Who decide that yes indeed he is hurt. We will operate on him and stash him on the DL for the rest of the season and he will stay our property.

If the nats docs had any indication that he was hurt, they would have kept him on the DL to begin with. That's odd. Sounds like the dude wants to stay with the pitching poor nationals.
    But he'll have to spend a full season length on the their roster after he comes off the DL or be returned to us. They changed this rule a few years ago (I think after we had Luke Prokopec from the Dodgers).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?