Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Double-Helix of Failure Returns

Re: The Double-Helix of Failure Returns

I guess we will have to tune in for tomorrow's episode to find out if they have what it takes to bounce back.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Time is the Revelator.

The 3-2 game was a 3-2 game. They lost a good, tough game.

Tonight, Harang just imploded. That happens.

Let's get em' tomorrow.
    Last edited by LvJ; 05-31-2009 at 12:48 AM.

Luke warm puke and an eye roll...sorry about your persacution complex...woe is FCB.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Luke warm puke and an eye roll...sorry about your persacution complex...woe is FCB.

Original post was humor.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post

Original post was humor.

Dying is easy, comedy is hard.
    ~ George Bernard Shaw

I thought it was funny stuff, personally.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

High five!

Does pollyanna have an antonym?

I thought the thread topic was referring to Mike Lincoln and Jared Burton.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Does pollyanna have an antonym?

eeyore
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I just don't get humor anymore. I'll read it again and see if it's funny...................no.

I've got a friend who works at the New Yorker. Maybe he'll be able to explain it to...wait...wait a second...double helix of failure...oh man, that is funny. Good stuff.

I can just see Will Ferrell's next movie "Talladega Nights: Double Helix of Failure".

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Failure is in this organization's genetic code. Full display this weekend--it's almost Gothic. Votto goes mad, like some Hawthorne character, Harang's doppelganger returns from the misty regions, broken bones, blown leads, Mike Lincoln.

So we stand at a crossroads--who are these Reds: the first two months of 2009 or 2001-2008 + this weekend? I'm betting on the latter.
    Well, you've always said how wonderful and amazing you think Walt is...so at this point, it's on him. He has plenty of players (in the minors) to trade for to get rentals or other players at this point.

Walt also signed Lincoln (to a 2 year deal no less).

Really, the Reds scored enough runs last night to win the game (especially with a pretty inadequate offense). Harang blew it last night.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 05-31-2009 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I just don't get humor anymore. I'll read it again and see if it's funny...................no.

I've got a friend who works at the New Yorker. Maybe he'll be able to explain it to...wait...wait a second...double helix of failure...oh man, that is funny. Good stuff.

I can just see Will Ferrell's next movie "Talladega Nights: Double Helix of Failure".

Now THAT really is funny.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Worth The Wait

I'll chime in here because I think it's an interesting topic--and (I think) I understand (and agree with) the general point FCB is trying to make.

There are two theories at play here:

1. The hex/goat/curse stuff: I think people use those terms mostly in a fun or literary way. I think very few people actually BELIEVE that there are mystical forces at work to keep certain teams from success.

2. The Losing Culture stuff: THIS, I firmly believe in.

When Steve Bartmann interferred with Moises Alou, I don't think it was a curse at work. But once he did that, I DO believe that EVERYONE on the Cubs, everyone on the Marlins, everyone in the stands, and everyone at home felt the tension and started to believe that the Cubs would lose. And if you don't believe that confidence/mental state doesn't play a role in the success or failure of athletes, you are nuts.

If you are attempting to do ANYTHING and lack confidence in doing it, things become much more difficult.

I believe that as an organization struggles year after year, everyone from the FO to the players to the fans become less confident and begin to believe that bad things will happen. Over time, I do believe this can become a self-fulfilling prophecy and factor into the failure of an organization.

Do I think the Reds lost Saturday night (or any individual game) because they have a losing culture? Of course not-- it's not nearly that black and white. But I do believe that a culture can be created (both good and bad) and once it's created, it is difficult to break.

The Reds are a poor organization...and "poor" might be putting it kindly. They make bad moves and then when they make good moves, they don't seem to be able to make them at the right times (finally get good pitching, but can't hit, etc..) and then you factor in some of the weird things like your best player going on the DL with "stress-related" issues and yes, I think a prevailing feeling of doom and failure can infect a clubhouse and ultimately affect results on the field.

I'm not even using the 2009 Reds as my example here...I like what we're doing and I have legit hope for the first time in awhile. I am trying to make my point in a broader, sports-wide sense.

I'll be the first to agree with the notion that the Reds are headed for choppier waters. That said, the Brewers are a good team capable of making an opponent look real bad.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'll be the first to agree with the notion that the Reds are headed for choppier waters. That said, the Brewers are a good team capable of making an opponent look real bad.
    The Cards' so-so pitching just came in and made mincemeat of the Brewers' offense before the Reds. The Brewers are good, but I think the Reds are just getting that bad streak going.

Other teams execute; the Reds fail to execute.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Well, you've always said how wonderful and amazing you think Walt is...so at this point, it's on him. He has plenty of players (in the minors) to trade for to get rentals or other players at this point.

Walt also signed Lincoln (to a 2 year deal no less).

Really, the Reds scored enough runs last night to win the game (especially with a pretty inadequate offense). Harang blew it last night.
    I'll admit, not trading Harang and Bailey in the offseason was probably a mistake on Walt's part. Definitely a "season too late" for trading them now.

Turn Off Ads?