Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Maloney has pitched better than Homer has in Louisville this year

Matt Maloney has pitched better than Homer has in Louisville this year

Stats don't lie.

http://louisville.bats.milb.com/milb...pbp&pid=456701

&

http://louisville.bats.milb.com/milb...pbp&pid=476011

It is pretty close overall...but the most notable stats are that Maloney has given up fewer jacks (3 compared to Homer's 9) and has gone longer in his stats than Homer has. He's also given up 5 walks on the year compared to Homer's 15. We're also talking a 1.15 WHIP for Maloney compared to Homer's 1.40.

If you want to say Bailey has the higher upside or best TOR potential, sure. But, Maloney has pitched better this year than Homer has as the stats show.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 05-16-2009 at 07:20 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Matt Maloney has pitched better than Homer has in Louisville this year

Is anyone arguing that? Other than that 15K gem, I think everyone expected a little more out of Homer so far this year
    Last edited by Superdude; 05-16-2009 at 08:24 PM.

Good. Bring him up. Reds need a long reliever.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Stats don't lie.

http://louisville.bats.milb.com/milb...pbp&pid=456701

&

http://louisville.bats.milb.com/milb...pbp&pid=476011

It is pretty close overall...but the most notable stats are that Maloney has given up fewer jacks (3 compared to Homer's 9) and has gone longer in his stats than Homer has. He's also given up 5 walks on the year compared to Homer's 15. We're also talking a 1.15 WHIP for Maloney compared to Homer's 1.40.

If you want to say Bailey has the higher upside or best TOR potential, sure. But, Maloney has pitched better this year than Homer has as the stats show.
    I've been very impressed with the K/BB ratio shown by Maloney this year, and equally perplexed as to why his production has not garnered a bit more attention. His FIP (2.77) is even more impressive, and indicative IMHO of just how well he's pitched.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I've been very impressed with the K/BB ratio shown by Maloney this year, and equally perplexed as to why his production has not garnered a bit more attention. His FIP (2.77) is even more impressive, and indicative IMHO of just how well he's pitched.
    Likely because his stuff just doesn't seem like it will translate to the majors well. So despite good numbers, no one is overly excited about him getting to Cincinnati where the expectations for him are likely a #4/5 type of pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Is anyone arguing that? Other than that 15K gem, I think everyone expected a little more out of Homer so far this year
    I think it's relevant to bring up since many posters here live and die by each one of Homer's starts. It's still early in the season, but I think there have been enough starts to at least throw it out there. Particularly since many people feel like Homer is a savior of sorts and Maloney is seen as a AAAA pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Likely because his stuff just doesn't seem like it will translate to the majors well. So despite good numbers, no one is overly excited about him getting to Cincinnati where the expectations for him are likely a #4/5 type of pitcher.
    I know he's not supposed to have overpowering stuff, or more specifically, really any 'out' pitches.

But the old saying is that AAA production is usually relatively indicative of Major League prospects, especially for strikeouts and walks. I don't think anyone would see Maloney as a top-of-the-rotation type of pitcher, but that kind of production at the major league level would be a heck of a 4/5 starter.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I know he's not supposed to have overpowering stuff, or more specifically, really any 'out' pitches.

But the old saying is that AAA production is usually relatively indicative of Major League prospects, especially for strikeouts and walks. I don't think anyone would see Maloney as a top-of-the-rotation type of pitcher, but that kind of production at the major league level would be a heck of a 4/5 starter.
    Sure, but he won't have that kind of production in the Majors... Maloney is a guy if he keeps his ERA in the majors under 5.00, I would take it. At least if he pitched half of his games in GABP. He doesn't have the stuff to miss bats in the majors on a consistent basis.

Sure, but he won't have that kind of production in the Majors... Maloney is a guy if he keeps his ERA in the majors under 5.00, I would tskr it. At least if he pitched half of his games in GABP. He doesn't have the stuff to miss bats in the majors on a consistent basis.
    I'm pretty sure they said the same about Jamie moyer too.

I think malony can be good, but he would need time and patience to adjust. About a year at MLB to see any type of quality results. I think he would struggle initially, just like he did in AAA.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    I'm pretty sure they said the same about Jamie moyer too.

I think malony can be good, but he would need time and patience to adjust. About a year at MLB to see any type of quality results. I think he would struggle initially, just like he did in AAA.
    Maybe so, but for every Moyer there are 500 soft tossers who couldn't get it done. I think if Maloney struggles initially at the MLB level he won't get another chance. He is already 25 years old and if he doesn't get to the majors this year, he will be 26 at the start of next year. The odds just aren't with guys who debut at that age and struggle initially.

I think at the very least...the Reds should be trying to move Maloney while he has value. His value is probably at an all time high right now. There are definitely teams that could and would insert him into their rotation right now.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I think at the very least...the Reds should be trying to move Maloney while he has value. His value is probably at an all time high right now. There are definitely teams that could and would insert him into their rotation right now.
    A team like San Diego or Seattle would benefit from adding him to their team. He could have a good run in a larger ballpark where his flyball tendencies and non strikeouts won't hurt him as much.

I'm excited about Maloney. Been banging that drum a long time.

But at this point there isn't a lot left to discuss about him. There is only one more question left about him and he can't answer it in AAA. Eventually he'll get his shot, whether here or somewhere else, and we'll see what happens. I tend to think he's not going to forget how to strike people out once he gets to the bigs - but I've been wrong before. We shall see.

For what it's worth, his brother in arms in the "great minor league numbers but supposedly not MLB-caliber stuff" club is Danny Herrera, and he's been excellent in the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    I'm excited about Maloney. Been banging that drum a long time.

But at this point there isn't a lot left to discuss about him. There is only one more question left about him and he can't answer it in AAA. Eventually he'll get his shot, whether here or somewhere else, and we'll see what happens. I tend to think he's not going to forget how to strike people out once he gets to the bigs - but I've been wrong before. We shall see.

For what it's worth, his brother in arms in the "great minor league numbers but supposedly not MLB-caliber stuff" club is Danny Herrera, and he's been excellent in the majors.
    Herrera can have the manager pick the spots where he faces favorable match ups. Starters don't get that luxury. Still, Herrera is rocking a career 1.61 WHIP as a reliever. I am not sure thats excellent. The strikeout numbers have been good though.

Really though, its not whether he will or won't forget how to strike batters out, its whether or not hitters can put his stuff in play more often.

Herrera can have the manager pick the spots where he faces favorable match ups. Starters don't get that luxury. Still, Herrera is rocking a career 1.61 WHIP as a reliever. I am not sure thats excellent. The strikeout numbers have been good though.

Really though, its not whether he will or won't forget how to strike batters out, its whether or not hitters can put his stuff in play more often.
    Herrera 2008 xFIP: 3.08
    Herrera 2009 xFIP: 3.77

You think Dusty's picking spots for Herrera? He's one of the lower relievers in Dusty's mind, he just sends him out there when he needs a low-leverage inning taken care of. I doubt his three inning stint last week when Arroyo got rocked was specially chosen as a spot where Herrera could succeed. I'm not concerned about his WHIP when he has faced 63 hitters this season and only two of them managed an extra base hit. You watch the games, how often does a guy hit the ball hard off of Herrera? Most hits against him are bloop singles. Hitters have a .676 OPS against him. He's been great.

Turn Off Ads?