Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hanigan ROY?

Hanigan ROY?

Yes, I know it's early. I'm pretty sure he's eligible. He only had 85 ABs last year and I don't think he was on the roster 45 days. Or is it 45 days prior to 9/1?

Anyway, where is his NL ROY competition? Do you think he'll get enough ABs for consideration?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hanigan ROY?

He wont have enough playing time to warrant the award.

There's only two NL rookies currently qualified for the batting title. Colby Rasmus and Jordan Schafer. They're hitting .229 and .204 respectively. Pitching doesn't look much better.

But that's from the ESPN site and they don't even list Hanigan in the unqualified rookies.

Danny Ray Herrera would be a fun one, wouldn't he? He has been dominating and although he probably will not even be remotely considered it is a fun discussion point.

Here are some key stats for Dr. H

ERA- 1.74 in 22 games (20.2IP)
    25 Ks
    ERA+ of a whopping 261

Thoughts? I know this is impossible, btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Hannigan was called up at the beginning of august last year which means he had between 45 and sixty consecutive days on the club last year. He is ineligible. Same thing for Dickerson. Herrera is eligible though.

Eligibility requirements were set forth in 1971 - a rookie is formally defined as a player with less than 130 at-bats, a pitcher with less than 50 innings pitched, or anyone with less than 45 days on any Major League roster.
    Hanigan had 95 total ABs in the majors prior to this year.

2007 - 10
    2008 - 85

Hanigan is a rookie. But the only way he gets any serious consideration for ROY is if Hernandez is playing first all of the time because Votto is not there,or Hernandez goes into such a tailspin that Hanigan becomes the starting catcher getting most of the playing time.

I don't think we want either of those things to happen.

I stand corrected. Hanigan has never been on a major league roster for 45 consecutive days before September 1st which is what the rule states. I was somewhat upset tonight. The annoucers were making a big deal out of the fact that two of the four hits tonight were home runs. They neglected to mention that Hanigan had the other two hits. I am also upset that the reds refuse to promote this guy. He has the second highest BA and OBP in the National league. He is the only catcher that has more caught stealing than stolen bases. he is also the Reds only .300 hitter. He has one of the highest fielding percentages Calling him a back-up is wrong since he now has caught more games than Hernandez. One of the Reds announcers was touting Russel Martin as one of the guys he would build a club around.

Well, since the Reds won't promote this guy, I guess it is up to the fans. No disrespect to Herrera, but Hanigan should be Rookie of the Year. He probably should be on the All-Star team also.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I'll say it again: Hanigan has really impressed me and he looks a lot to me like Jason Kendall was when Kendall was an All-Star catcher. Minus the speed to steal a base of course, but the approach and the hitting. Very simple and quiet approach, good contact hitter, a lot of singles. Love this guy.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I stand corrected. Hanigan has never been on a major league roster for 45 consecutive days before September 1st which is what the rule states. I was somewhat upset tonight. The annoucers were making a big deal out of the fact that two of the four hits tonight were home runs. They neglected to mention that Hanigan had the other two hits. I am also upset that the reds refuse to promote this guy. He has the second highest BA and OBP in the National league. He is the only catcher that has more caught stealing than stolen bases. he is also the Reds only .300 hitter. He has one of the highest fielding percentages Calling him a back-up is wrong since he now has caught more games than Hernandez. One of the Reds announcers was touting Russel Martin as one of the guys he would build a club around.

Well, since the Reds won't promote this guy, I guess it is up to the fans. No disrespect to Herrera, but Hanigan should be Rookie of the Year. He probably should be on the All-Star team also.
    until dusty moves him up in the lineup from the 7/8 hole it's not gonna happen. having bruce/gonzo/jhj etc and their .300obp ahead of him he has no opportunities for rbi's.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Danny Ray Herrera would be a fun one, wouldn't he? He has been dominating and although he probably will not even be remotely considered it is a fun discussion point.

Here are some key stats for Dr. H

ERA- 1.74 in 22 games (20.2IP)
    25 Ks
    ERA+ of a whopping 261

Thoughts? I know this is impossible, btw.
    Why is it impossible?

And the #2 spot in the lineup is supposed to be the guy that gets hits right, why not put Hanigan in the 2 hole cause he's the only guy consistently hitting right now.

Gonna be hard to justify ROY consideration if he becomes a part-time player.

I just checked. Against the Phillies this year Hanigan went 3-6 with 2 walks. He hit his only home run. He had one error, but he also picked a runner off first. He gave up two stolen bases. So he performed well in front of Manuel, who will be picking the reserves for the AS team.

Hanigan will never get the playing time once Votto returns. Blame the manager for refusing to play the better player once again.

Per John Fay: "He hit .271 in 31 games with the Reds last season, but because he didn't have 130 AB (he had 126) or appear on the active roster for 45 days, he retained his rookie status."

He's definitely a rookie, as a couple of you have stated. He has thrown out 10 of 22 runners trying to steal, which LEADS THE MAJORS among catchers with 20 or more chances. He is batting .325 with a .411 OBP. He is without a doubt deserving of playing time once Votto comes back and of the ROY.

Turn Off Ads?