Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ramon Hernandez Appreciation Thread

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

The Ramon Hernandez Appreciation Thread

I can't believe there isn't more love in RZ for Ramon Hernandez. I think he has been a great acquisition for the Reds, especially in light of his willingness to play first with Votto out.

Before this season he had played a total of 20 innings at 1B. This year he has played 110.2. He also was willing to play 3B for an inning in a time of need. And he has thrown out 37% of runners attempting to steal while catching.

After a poor April at the plate, .246/.303/.344, he rebounded nicely in May, .312/.383/.419.

Just imagine where the team would be with the Bako or Valentin instead.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: The Ramon Hernandez Appreciation Thread

Up to this point, he's the best catcher in the National League. He should get an All Star bid IMO. Once you take his defense into account, it's not really even close I think.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Much more versatile than anyone knew. Plays a very good 1b. Has been a definite plus for the 09 Reds. Good move by Jocketty.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

I believe broadcasters have been pointing out that Hernandez regularly plays first base in winter ball to save his legs.

I was initially unimpressed with his range at first, but he's made some nice plays there lately so I may have just jumped the gun.

Getting this guy for the remnants of Ryan Freel was a steal.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I do believe that Ramon ENJOYS playing 1B. He has played there quite a bit in the winter seasons in Venezuela.

And this website's name suggests that Ramon isn't that fond of catching!

http://www.ramonhernandezputdownthegun.com/
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Tremendous upgrade for the Reds. Hernandez is a much more highly skilled player than I realized. Professional hitter. Superb trade by Jocketty and Co.

I think Baker's going to have to be careful to get him days off here and there. I know it's tough now with Votto gone, but Hernandez is not young and his body will wear down in the heat as the season progresses.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

How about some love for his partner in crime Ryan Hanigan too? Take a look at what the Reds are getting from the catcher position:

2009 Reds: .309/.379/.410
    2009 NL Average: .262/.343/.404

And compare that to what happened last year for the Reds at catcher: .234/.330/.351

Hernandez and Hanigan are doing an awesome job.

Love Hernandez. I think he might lead the team in Batting Average in Low Leverage Situations. Reminds me of Bo Diaz in his knack for coming up with clutch two-out hits.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    I believe broadcasters have been pointing out that Hernandez regularly plays first base in winter ball to save his legs.

I was initially unimpressed with his range at first, but he's made some nice plays there lately so I may have just jumped the gun.

Getting this guy for the remnants of Ryan Freel was a steal.
    Don't forget, we also had to part with Brandon Waring and Justin Turner too. And they're both playing very well. So I won't go so far as saying it was a steal. A good trade though.
    2014 predictions:
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    How about some love for his partner in crime Ryan Hanigan too? Take a look at what the Reds are getting from the catcher position:

2009 Reds: .309/.379/.410
    2009 NL Average: .262/.343/.404

And compare that to what happened last year for the Reds at catcher: .234/.330/.351

Hernandez and Hanigan are doing an awesome job.
    Only Atlanta and Philadelphia have had more production at C in the NL this year. Great addition in Hernandez, major upgrade in Hanigan as the backup.
    Suck it up cupcake.

I get the feeling that Hernandez is a leader on this team and one of the players who may help get them through this tough injury period. No basis for this except my observation at a couple of games and watching the team on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Don't forget, we also had to part with Brandon Waring and Justin Turner too. And they're both playing very well. So I won't go so far as saying it was a steal. A good trade though.
    imo it was an absolute steal. remember - we were going to pay Freel millions of dollars to stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    imo it was an absolute steal. remember - we were going to pay Freel millions of dollars to stink.
    Don't get me wrong, I was happy to see Freel go along with his ridiculous contract, but Hernandez's wasn't a very good contract either. Money-wise it was close to a wash. Basically I look at it as the improvement of Ramon's production over Freel's production traded for those 2 prospects. We won the trade IMO without a doubt, but depending upon how Waring and Turner fair...I wouldn't call it a steal quite yet. If they bomb...and Ramon keeps it up, big time theft. :O)
    2014 predictions:
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    I believe Farney stayed and has assisted Ramon with his playing of multiple positions.

Brandon Waring at high A this season.....(.291 avg/.368 obp/.520 slg/.887 ops) 21 bb / 45 k's (his walk/k ratio was his biggest downside when he was with us)

Justin Turner in AAA this season..... (.296 / .355 / .375 / .730)

Like I said, they're both doing QUITE well. Too early to call this trade either way yet.
    2014 predictions:
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Turn Off Ads?