Turn Off Ads?

Thread: any1 got crow recipes?

any1 got crow recipes?

It is def early in the season, and hope I dont jinx him with this, but I owe Hernandez an apology. I hounded him pretty hard after we signed him, and stated often even through ST that I felt he was our wink link on this team. I dont think it was totally unjustified, as i had watched him several times in Baltimore, was not impressed with his catching, and he simply played lazy, guess the change helped for the better, but at any rate, I have been pleasantly pleased with his performance so far this season!
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: any1 got crow recipes?

I would rather have Freel.....

Just kidding.......

Hernandez has exceeded my expectations too. He's almost as good as Hanigan. :-)

Sure we all did a collective yawn when he was signed.

But this season has been all about these guys outperforming their baseball cards. Who here thought goofy looking Rosales would ever contribute here? Or Gomes. Or Nix. Even Dickerson is coming around.

Point is, there is a lot of crow to eat now I guess if you want to look at it that way. But if eating crow means the Reds are heading to the playoffs, well then serve me up some:

"Mmm mmm, that crow is some good looking crow candy." - Jeff Brantley on the crow sandwich

I must admit that Hernandez has done all right. His attitude has been good, and he has performed well. Gomes and Nix have done well also.

What I will not eat crow on is that I still believe hannigan is a better catcher than Soto of the Cubs. if the Reds hadn't kept Hannigan down all last year i believe he would have been more deserving of the ROY award. He is a better catcher than Soto. I also believe that he is worthy of a spot on the all star team although he won't get it. Hernadez is also deserving 0f an all star slot. Just compare each of them to other catchers in the league. The Reds clearly have the best receivers. I was not nearly as upset about Freel as I was about losing Justin Turner

I figured Dickerson would come around. I unlike others believe an organization is only as good as its supporting parts. The Reds need to be able and be willing to utilize their rookies and unexperienced talented players. If there is one area the Reds could improve it would be to increase their coaching staffs at the minor league level.

Case in point. Jay Bruce is struggling right now because of two reasons.
    1. He swings at everything.
    2. He steps in the well continuously making it almost impossible to hit a pitch moving away from him.

He got away with those fallacies at a lower level because he was so talented. He had a rocket start because pitchers could figure him out because he swung at everything. But the Reds should have spotted the problem and corrected it a Single A not try to change his approach at the major league level.

I also have been impressed with with Hernandez. He's been a godsend to the Reds this season.

I don't want to overlook the job Ryan Hanigan has done, making Hernandez an easy option to cover for Votto at first. Hanigan has an impressive .333 average with an .823 OPS. He's sporting a lofty 2.75 BB/K ratio. If there's any knock on him, and I don't have many, it's that he's been poor in scoring opportunities this season (driving in only 11 percent of the runners on base when he comes to the plate and a .167 BA w/RISP).

In any event, the two have been terrific both offensively and defensively. They've been a treat.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

Bounty37H, the sercet indgerent is Hot Sauce, trust me on this one

Thanks voice. I do wat to add in that I think Hannigan is our future at catcher, and still think he might be a better behind the plate, but just thought I owed Hernandez a shot of credit I wasnt willing to give him earlier in the season. FDT was correct ^, this team does require all the players to play above their heads to succeed, I honestly did not think Ramon was capable, or cared, to try to do that, and that is what has impressed me the most so far this year, his attitude and effort.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

THIS guy had a bad attitude in Baltimore?

I think he's done a great job for us, and I give him a TON of credit for keeping us right in the race as of this point. Without his contributions, we wouldn't be where we are at right now.

I just hope the dog days of July/August don't wear him out too bad, but who knows how long he'll be at 1b as opposed to catching.

Turn Off Ads?