Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo on the block???

Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo on the block???

Heyman was just on WFAN talking baseball with Mike Francesa. He felt that the Reds would probably wait a month before making a decision on whether or not to unload one of these guys or both. Heyman feels that teams like the Phillies would be interested in Harang if they don't snag their first choice like Peavy or Lee.

Should be an interesting summer of trade rumors.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo on the block???

IMO, if this team is even close to attention, they can't trade Harang. MAYBE Arroyo. But if we're 3 games back and this management pulls a mid 90's White Sox, the fan base will revolt. Maybe not all of the fans, but enough of the casual fans to make a difference at the gate. I think they'll really have to go on a slide in June for this to happen. Not saying it's impossible, but I don't expect it.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Heyman was just on WFAN talking baseball with Mike Francesa. He felt that the Reds would probably wait a month before making a decision on whether or not to unload one of these guys or both. Heyman feels that teams like the Phillies would be interested in Harang if they don't snag their first choice like Peavy or Lee.

Should be an interesting summer of trade rumors.
    You're talking about New York broadcasters. Other than the Yankees, Mets and probably the Red Sox, they think the other clubs are the farm system for the Big Three.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    You're talking about New York broadcasters. Other than the Yankees, Mets and probably the Red Sox, they think the other clubs are the farm system for the Big Three.
    Point taken, but most of the conversation centered on the Phillies who are pushing very hard for a pitcher to go along with Hammels in that rotation. The Philles feel they have a team built to win over the next year or two and want to go after another quality arm.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I dunno. The injury to Volquez has reminded me how nice it is to have depth at SP. What's more, pitchers like Harang and Arroyo take a lot of work (and a little luck) for small market teams like the Reds to acquire in the first place.

If Walt thinks he can acquire a blue chip pitching prospect and a young mainstay at a crucial position for the offense (a C, SS or CF) in the same deal, then he should really consider it. What I have in mind, though, is a Bedard-level return (Adam Jones, Chris Tillman, etc.) Otherwise I'm just not sure it makes sense for this team.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Francesca has been pining for Arroyo to the Yanks for three years.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

The only ways Bronson and Aaron are on the block are: 1. The Reds drop to about 10 games out or 2. Both Maloney and Bailey pitch lights out at the Major league level (with injuries they'll get or in Bailey's case, got, opportunities).

1. The Reds drop to about 10 games out or 2. Both Maloney and Bailey pitch lights out at the Major league level (with injuries they'll get or in Bailey's case, got, opportunities).
    As for #1: Don't see this happening, mainly because none of the Central opponents looks real strong right now, and I don't see the Reds going into a prolonged funk. Now, if the Cubs or Brewers get Peavy, they could get hot and leave others in the dust.

As for #2: Ain't happening.

The decision whether to deal Harang or Arroyo will be a tough one, I think. They may try to have it both ways -- deal the expensive pitcher while acquiring an expensive bat.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Harang can go to Philly as long as the package back is built around or includes Michael Taylor.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Harang can go to Philly as long as the package back is built around or includes Michael Taylor.
    Ya don't say, what's the 411 on Taylor mem?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

6'6" 250 pound OF. Easily onto Top 100 lists to start the year, and has been monstrous at AA Reading. He's 23. He was highly touted going to Stanford, I believe, they messed up his swing, he came to MLB after that with the shine off his star, and has since re-found his original swing and is a hitting machine. I am sure there are plenty of holes etc. once the minor league gurus weigh in, but I love his potential as well as what he is now, and he's the kind of player that would be a nice return:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=446345

Currently at .341/.398/.604 for a 1.001 OPS at Reading. 9 homers. 8 stolen bases.

The light came back on after his first year of Pro Ball:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=taylor010mic
    Last edited by membengal; 06-02-2009 at 05:35 PM.

Sure, the Phillies can have Harang for Dominic Brown/Michael Taylor, Kyle Drabek, and Carlos Carrasco or Lou Marson.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

I have no problem moving Bronson if the Reds fade. IF everyone was healthy the Reds are still just an above average team not really a World Series contender. with the injuries to EE, Votto & Volquez I just don't see the Reds making the playoffs this year.

If the Reds fall out of it, both Harang and Arroyo should be available for fairly significant deals. Marson, Jason Donald, Taylor, and Vance Worley should do it.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Absolutely.

I don't put much stock in this as a prediction. That the Reds might consider moving one of them in July is prediction that could easily have been made last December.

IMO, however, this is becoming increasingly unlikely as the season progresses. The Reds do have pitching depth in the minors, but none of them has proved that he can win in the majors yet. Further, the Reds are not so far away from putting a strong contender on the field that giving up starting pitching, a scarce commodity, for future prospects is warranted. A top SS prospect at AA or higher would be the only return that might be tempting. Other than that, let's play the hand the we have.

Turn Off Ads?