Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Volquez pitched Winter Ball and in the WBC against the Reds wishes

Volquez pitched Winter Ball and in the WBC against the Reds wishes

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...nletter-sports

ST. LOUIS -- Reds manager Dusty Baker said Tuesday that the news about Edinson Volquez could have been worse.

"Well, its not bad news," Baker said before Tuesday night's game against the Cardinals. " Its the best news it could be for bad news. Nothing structural, nothing in the joint."

Hes not supposed to pick up a ball for a week to 10 days.," Baker said. "Hes got some inflammation in there. The reason he had the tingling is the inflammation crowds the ulna nerve. Hes going to be fine.

Volquez never mentioned the problem until Monday.

He might have felt something and thought it was normal soreness," Baker said. "If every time you felt something you sat down, most of us would never play. He had never said anything to us about it."

The Reds have been concerned with Volquez. He pitched a career-high 196 innings last season and then pitched winter ball against the Reds' wishes.

"We were fearful of the workload with winter ball and getting ready for the WBC," Baker said. "We were very apprehensive about the whole thing.

Volquez made only one start and one relief appearance in winter ball. Why did he even do that?

To get ready for the WBC, I guess, Baker said. Thats the way guys used to do it. But its a new day. We werent crazy about him pitching at all. Thats the most innings he had. Im not saying thats the reason. But we were adamant.

Players from the Dominican faced tremendous pressure within their country to pitch in the WBC.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Volquez pitched Winter Ball and in the WBC against the Reds wishes

Thats why I hated the WBC and its format, not that it is def whats wrong, but doubt its helping either.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Thats why I hated the WBC and its format, not that it is def whats wrong, but doubt its helping either.
    It's stupid and nobody could care less about the WBC.

Pitchers used to pitch far more innings than that routinely. Japanese pitchers still pitch year round and put in extra bullpen sessions on their non-starting days. I don't buy the higher workload as the problem for one second. A lot of folks in this country have an irrational desire to kill the WBC...I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that we are getting shown up by other countries, right?

I commend Volquez for pitching for his country. Having been in other countries during international events, I must say I am embarrassed by Americans' lack of passion for things like the WBC and World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed the WBC and have several friends who did also. It needs some tweaking on a few issues, but I think it's great to see baseball talent from all over the world come together every couple of years.

It's also very important to many of the other countries who participate.

If Volquez's problems are because of a few innings pitched in the WBC, which I don't think is even close to being accurate, then he has bigger problems.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Pitchers used to pitch far more innings than that routinely. Japanese pitchers still pitch year round and put in extra bullpen sessions on their non-starting days. I don't buy the higher workload as the problem for one second. A lot of folks in this country have an irrational desire to kill the WBC...I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that we are getting shown up by other countries, right?

I commend Volquez for pitching for his country. Having been in other countries during international events, I must say I am embarrassed by Americans' lack of passion for things like the WBC and World Cup.
    Well said.

Why did pitching 3 innings in the WBC require Edinson to pitch in winter ball?
    While i could see that the Reds could not prohibit him from pitching in the WBC, don't thay have the right to prohibit him from pitching in winter ball?

This is an issue. In basketball we have been seeing that players who play for their national team in the offeason are more injury prone. Manu Ginobili is a good example. It isn't so much the extra innings worked. The problem is that to be in "game shape" during the offseason means that you really have no offseason. The body needs rest. No athlete can stay in game shape year round. That is why all sports, that I know of, have an offseason or rest period to allow the body to rest and heal.

Especially for a guy like Volquez who threw more innings last year than he ever has, and was showing signs of fatigue during the season, it would have been better for him not to compete in thye offseason.

However, I am in favor of international competition like the WBC. I just think that every individual player needs to evaluate whether it is a good choice.

Also, the pro teams are playing BIG salaries to guys, who then gut hurt playing for free. That has got to be annoying.
    Last edited by Roush's socks; 06-03-2009 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    This is a tad harsh, but I must agree with the sentiment. There's really no good time to play the thing. If it's played before the season, MLB teams risk tiring players and injuries; if it's after the season, nobody would want to play at all. The WBC is really just looking like a failed experiment at this point. I'm a huge baseball fan, and I watched almost none of it this year. I found myself rather listening to MLB spring training on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post

You answered your own question, the setup/format is what I hate, think it is a joke tourney thrown together just to have something. I go to the USA National games every summer in Durham, love USA Baseball, just dont like this tourney.
    And no, has nothing to do with America getting shown up-I hated it before play even started.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed the WBC and have several friends who did also. It needs some tweaking on a few issues, but I think it's great to see baseball talent from all over the world come together every couple of years.

It's also very important to many of the other countries who participate.

If Volquez's problems are because of a few innings pitched in the WBC, which I don't think is even close to being accurate, then he has bigger problems.
    I dont think its the amount of pitching, I think it is the extra stress of performing/pitching at hig hlevel right away without being able to slowly get it back together, and the other countries put a lot more into it, push their players harder to win, more pressure.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nineworldseries View Post
    This is a tad harsh, but I must agree with the sentiment. There's really no good time to play the thing. If it's played before the season, MLB teams risk tiring players and injuries; if it's after the season, nobody would want to play at all. The WBC is really just looking like a failed experiment at this point. I'm a huge baseball fan, and I watched almost none of it this year. I found myself rather listening to MLB spring training on the radio.
    Could not disagree more, I loved watching the WBC. I watched as many games as I could. The problem with the WBC for some fans in this country is that the american team is just not very good. The WBC is fine, timing is not great, but I think this is probably the best they can do. I was suprised by the number of people I work with who watched the WBC after hearing comments like a few on this board. I think there are many fans who don't like it at all, but there are many fans who enjoy watching competitive baseball and international competition and think the classic is great. Count me among them.

I enjoyed the WBC. There is no such thing as too much baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by kfm View Post
    Could not disagree more, I loved watching the WBC. I watched as many games as I could. The problem with the WBC for some fans in this country is that the american team is just not very good. The WBC is fine, timing is not great, but I think this is probably the best they can do. I was suprised by the number of people I work with who watched the WBC after hearing comments like a few on this board. I think there are many fans who don't like it at all, but there are many fans who enjoy watching competitive baseball and international competition and think the classic is great. Count me among them.
    I love USA Baseball, I go to at least 3 or 4 games every year for the National team, and get to see great baseball and the international competition, and love that aspect of those games. i just think the WBC is a BS tourney, poorly designed and just an idea somone ran with blindly.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Turn Off Ads?