Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ghiaciuc says Chad is a distraction

Re: Ghiaciuc says Chad is a distraction

Too me it's not about Chad it's more about the NFL choosing to do the wrong thing again. If the NFL were to embrace the Twitter phenomenon and allow players and coaches to Twitter in a controlled environment it would give so many of us fans access that we haven't had before. Instead the No Fun League and it's iron fisted commisioner continue to move away from progress.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Too me it's not about Chad it's more about the NFL choosing to do the wrong thing again. If the NFL were to embrace the Twitter phenomenon and allow players and coaches to Twitter in a controlled environment it would give so many of us fans access that we haven't had before. Instead the No Fun League and it's iron fisted commisioner continue to move away from progress.
    The NFL wouldn't approve it unless they could profit from it. Just look at the stink their putting up about Yahoo fantasy football.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

If players or coaches want to twitter they can do it before or after games.
    Chads just going on and on about it because it gives people a reason to keep talking about him.
    Last edited by CTA513; 07-16-2009 at 11:31 PM.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Chad is back to his old ways of bringing the Bengals the media attention they wouldn't get otherwise.

I'm sure HBO wouldn't have signed this team on for "Hard Knocks" if Chad weren't here.

Whether that media attention is good for the team remains to be seen...that's up to them

It's good for Chad, and after the year he had last year, he needs it (he's in a contract year).
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 07-17-2009 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Chad is back to his old ways of bringing the Bengals the media attention they wouldn't get otherwise.

I'm sure HBO wouldn't have signed this team on for "Hard Knocks" if Chad weren't here.

Whether that media attention is good for the team remains to be seen...that's up to them

It's good for Chad, and after the year he had last year, he needs it (he's in a contract year).
    Chad's signed through 2010 with a team option for 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Chad's signed through 2010 with a team option for 2011.
    Which in football parlayance means "Contract year."
    At least to everyone not on the Bengals.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Which in football parlayance means "Contract year."
    At least to everyone not on the Bengals.
    I definitely could be wrong, but my understanding is that it runs through the 2010 season - meaning, unless he's released, he's here at least this year and next.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I definitely could be wrong, but my understanding is that it runs through the 2010 season - meaning, unless he's released, he's here at least this year and next.
    No, you're correct. I was just mentioning that everywhere else in the league, every year is basically a contract year. Or at least once you get past the first couple of years.

No, you're correct. I was just mentioning that everywhere else in the league, every year is basically a contract year. Or at least once you get past the first couple of years.
    That's only if you have Drew Rosenhaus as an agent.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Or the team means business. I don't mind anything a player or agent does because given the opportunity the team will do it to a player first.

Gotcha...good point.

Or the team means business. I don't mind anything a player or agent does because given the opportunity the team will do it to a player first.
    I wouldn't mind players trying to get out of their contract if they were willing to return all that free money they got before they set foot on the field and the NFL wouldn't count it against the salary cap so that teams could use the money to replace that player. As it is, the players have agreed to a system where they get much of their compensation up front in signing bonuses in exchange for teams having the option of cutting them later. In fact, it's my understanding that most players and teams don't even consider the back end of contracts to be real money, but merely a mechanism to trigger a negotiation for a new contract (and opportunity for new signing bonuses for the player). If NFL players want guaranteed contracts, they're free to negotiate it into the next CBA, but I get the feeling they'd have to give up their outrageous signing bonuses in exchange.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The...ame_twittering

The NFL will not allow in-game Twittering by players, coaches or others on the sidelines during games, league spokesman Greg Aiello told ProFootballTalk.com on Thursday.

"We already have a rule that prohibits the use of cell phones or other handheld devices in the bench area during games," Aiello told the website via e-mail.

The issue came up when Bengals receiver Chad Ochocinco told a radio station this week that he inteded to start sending 'tweets' during regular-season games.

"I'm going to really make it fun. I'm using Twitter during games, during halftime, after the games. I'm going to be taking it to the next level," he told KGOW in Houston.

PFT promises to look into whether the NFL's ban on handhelds extends to the locker room.

Jim Mora was fined $25,000 for taking a cellular phone call during a game in 2005.

Chad's reply via Twitter:

http://twitter.com/OGOchoCinco

Damn NFL and these rules, I am going by my own set of rules, I ain't hurting nobody or getting in trouble, I am putting my foot down!!

It'd be interesting to see, if the Bengals had a coach with a pair, what he'd do with Ochocinco and his Twittering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Recently heard that after Michael Jackson's death, Chad Johnson posted on twitter that it was more sad than 9/11? This guy is definitely not right in the head.

Denzell Washington talks sense in to Chad? It actually might work...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

It was one of those typically incestuous Tinseltown celebrity convergences, an impromptu conversation between an athlete who changed his name to enhance his fame and an actor who need only drop his first name to receive the red-carpet treatment.

Yet when Cincinnati Bengals wideout Chad Ochocinco met Denzel Washington at a Los Angeles Lakers game this past spring, it wasn’t the mutual fawning session you might expect. Rather than compliment the receiver formerly known as Johnson for his athletic excellence, Washington called him out, portraying Ochocinco’s lost 2008 season as a self-inflicted nightmare.

Photo Washington, left, and Ochocinco during the NBA’s Western Conference finals.
    (Noel Vasquez/Getty)

“He got on me about the way I handled myself last offseason,” Ochocinco recalled in a phone conversation last week. “He wasn’t being gentle. He said, ‘You know what? You need to straighten up and stop fussin’ about something you have no control over. Make it fun again because it sure looks better when you do it that way.’ That’s all I needed to hear, especially from somebody like him.”

Is it possible that the NFL’s presumptive 2009 comeback player of the year could owe an assist to a man who owns two Oscars? We’re getting ahead of ourselves, but two things are clear as what’s left of the offseason melts away: 1) Ochocinco, 31, believes he’s headed for a monster season; and 2) Washington successfully imparted a stop-being-a-knucklehead sentiment that so many people shared last year as the formerly ebullient Pro Bowler devolved into the NFL’s de-facto grumpy old man.

From 2004 to 2007, Ochocinco (or, to be accurate, Johnson) thrived on the field – he led the NFL in receiving yards (5,515) and was second in catches (372) over that four-year span – while doing his best to remind us that football isn’t war. He proposed to a cheerleader in the end zone, gave CPR to a football after another touchdown and kept a conspicuous checklist in his locker featuring the cornerbacks he planned to burn each week.

When I profiled him for Sports Illustrated before the ’05 season, Ochocinco guaranteed that the Bengals would make the playoffs for the first time in 15 years, a prediction that proved to be accurate. But after a pair of disappointing follow-up campaigns, Ochocinco decided he wanted out of Cincinnati – a time-honored tradition of disgruntled Bengals skill players (Carl Pickens, Corey Dillon(notes)).

Predictably, he was not subtle in expressing his wishes.

In the days leading up to Super Bowl XLII in Arizona, Ochocinco did a series of interviews in which he openly campaigned to be traded to various teams. He skipped all of the team’s offseason workouts and, in April of ’08, reiterated that “I don’t want to play for the Bengals.”

Bengals owner Mike Brown was adamant that the team would not give in to the receiver’s wishes, and Ochocinco was clearly perturbed upon reporting for training camp. He separated his left shoulder in a preseason game and, with star quarterback Carson Palmer(notes) out most of the season with a torn elbow ligament, caught just 53 passes for 540 yards in a 4-11-1 season.

A heart-to-heart conversation with Brown in January put Ochocinco’s mind at peace, he says, and he began an ambitious offseason training program that included regular boxing workouts. The dressing-down from Washington – think head coach Herman Boone in “Remember The Titans” – convinced him to start channeling his inner Muhammad Ali.

“My checklist is going back up this year,” Ochocinco says. “The bottom line is that football is fun. A lot of people, they forget about that. This is a business, a harsh business. We’re all one play away from having our careers cut short. The one thing I do is, I play the game like a kid. Last year, I let the business side get the better of me. This year, I’m bringing the fun back.”

His comical Twitter feud with San Diego Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman(notes) (inadvertently instigated by Y! Sports’ Charles Robinson, though he’s too shy to admit it) was a taste of the old Ocho with a new catchphrase: “Child, please.” You’re going to be hearing it quite a bit over the next few months, especially on HBO’s “Hard Knocks.”

Few athletes express themselves so creatively. After skipping most of the Bengals’ offseason program, Ochocinco surprisingly showed up in early June for several OTA sessions in advance of a mandatory minicamp. Asked by reporters about his relationship with Palmer – which has had its share of tension – Ochocinco insisted all was well, saying, “We’re like Brokeback Mountain.”

Before the minicamp, Ochocinco got an unexpected phone call from Washington.

“He was in Europe, filming a movie, yet he took the time to reach out,” Ochocinco marvels. “He wanted to make sure my mind was clear. He is the coolest individual I’ve ever met. Seriously.”

Ochocinco plans to repay Washington by having a great year and smiling all the way to the finish.

“The good thing is, he says he’s gonna come watch me play, and I can’t wait,” Ochocinco says. “That might be the game where I get 500 yards. There’s no doubt that I’ll be back this season. It’s common sense. When I’m running my mouth and I’m happy, good stuff happens.

“I didn’t want to play last year; I didn’t want to be there. I was forced to stay. That’s behind me now. This will be a record-breaking year – I’m ready to rock and roll.”

Can advice from a rock star be far behind?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?