Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Travis Wood

Re: Travis Wood

I'm getting ready to watch a 5 game sweep of Carolina over Jacksonville starting tomorrow night. I'm ready !!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm getting ready to watch a 5 game sweep of Carolina over Jacksonville starting tomorrow night. I'm ready !!
    Nice. Please fill us in with your impressions!
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Travis Wood today: 9 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 11 K

His numbers this season are spectacular:

74 IP, 49 H, 1 HR, 30 BB, 60, 1.22 ERA

Earlier in the season, while still being effective, he was walking a decent amount of hitter and not racking up a ton of strikeouts. However, in his last six starts, he's posted an 8 BB/39 K in 41.1 innings. I really like the progress he's made in Double-A this season.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Nice. Please fill us in with your impressions!
    I cannot wait to hear Jax's words on today's performance.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Travis Wood today: 9 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 11 K

His numbers this season are spectacular:

74 IP, 49 H, 1 HR, 30 BB, 60, 1.22 ERA

Earlier in the season, while still being effective, he was walking a decent amount of hitter and not racking up a ton of strikeouts. However, in his last six starts, he's posted an 8 BB/39 K in 41.1 innings. I really like the progress he's made in Double-A this season.
    Yea, that was my concern about him when his name started popping up again in early May, K/BB. So, now that he is back in the mix, could someone please give a quick summary of his story (like where he was the last two years) and his stuff?

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

People talk about how 'lucky' Wood has been, but even when you factor that in, he's having a very good season. This is his fifth season in the organization, but it's important to keep in mind that he's only 22. If he were promoted today, he would be the third-youngest player in all of AAA.

These would be the only two players who are older:
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=tillma001chr
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=brantl001mic

My Wood comments from Game thread......

"The player of the day was Travis Wood, I'd seen him several other times before, but he looks like a new man. Before watching him was frustrating as you'd say "just throw some strikes". His control today was stellar. Even when he missed it wasn't by much.

The other thing, (and this could be just my imagination) I thought there used to be a more pronounced difference between the speed on his fastball and changeup. It just seems there is less difference, and he can now control them.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    My Wood comments from Game thread......

"The player of the day was Travis Wood, I'd seen him several other times before, but he looks like a new man. Before watching him was frustrating as you'd say "just throw some strikes". His control today was stellar. Even when he missed it wasn't by much.

The other thing, (and this could be just my imagination) I thought there used to be a more pronounced difference between the speed on his fastball and changeup. It just seems there is less difference, and he can now control them.
    How was his velocity today?
    "I hate SF."

-Mat Latos

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Wish Watson would do the same but I don't have the same belief and or hope for that to ever happen, Watson just doesn't seem like the type who will stay with it and work hard enough to reach his potential.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Beware watching him play will cause you to like him. He's an athletic kid who fields his position well on top of his solid pitching. He seems smart, intense and in it to win it.
    What makes you think he won't work hard enough to reach his potential If the above is true?

MLB Mock Draft
    2009:
    2. Dustin Ackley 27. Tyler Skaggs 33. Kyle Heckathorn 51. Nick Franklin 82. Billy Bullock

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron View Post
    What makes you think he won't work hard enough to reach his potential If the above is true?
    The Reds have talked to Watson about his weight, and the guy still looks pretty plump. I'm in no position to say whether Watson made a serious effort to improve his physical condition, but I'm just guessing that that is where Mario-Rijo is coming from.

What are the rules concerning high school draftees? I heard that the Reds would be out of options with Bailey next year. Well both Wood and Bailey made their debuts in 2005 and this is their fifth seasons with the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    What are the rules concerning high school draftees? I heard that the Reds would be out of options with Bailey next year. Well both Wood and Bailey made their debuts in 2005 and this is their fifth seasons with the Reds.
    An option is used when a player on the 40-man roster is sent to the minor leagues. After four or five years (four years for players signed at age 19 or older, five years for under) as a professional, a player must be put on the 40-man roster or exposed in the rule five draft. Both Bailey and Wood were signed before they turned 19 years old, but Wood has never been on the 40-man roster. However, 2010 will probably be his first option year. This is Bailey's third option year, so he will have to clear waivers next season if the Reds want to send him to the minors.
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 06-07-2009 at 11:02 PM. Reason: more clarification

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Bailey was drafted in 2004, Wood in 2005.

In the listing of Southern League leaders, it looks like the cutoff they're using for ERA right now is 50 innings. Zach Stewart has thrown only 23 innings at that level, so obviously his 0.39 is not recognized. Wood leads the league at 1.22, which is more than a full run ahead of the next guy (Chris Cody, 2.30). That's a massive spread.

I said it before and I'll say it again: Wood should be in line for a promotion at the Break if he continues to pitch like this.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?