Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Travis Wood

Re: Travis Wood

More on Travis Wood.

In his last start, he allowed a one out infield single in the 4th inning. He then went on to retire the last 17 batters he faced. Tonight, he allowed a lead off walk in the first inning and then retired 20 straight batters. He went 11.2 straight innings without allowing a hit. In that span, he retired 37 of the 38 batters he faced. That is total dominance.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I say we draft that well every year, what say thee?
    Three Major Leaguers came out of it, and it's only a matter of time before one or two more reach the show. What a difference a player makes, though. If the Reds swung and missed on Jay Bruce, it would be considered a horrible draft.
    Jay Bruce
    Travis Wood
    Sam LeCure
    James Avery
    Carlos Fisher
    Adam Rosales
    Logan Ondrusek
    Mike Griffin
    Kevyn Feiner
    Eric Eymann
    Chris Denove
    Jake Long
    Justin Tordi

It was a great draft, especially if Wood goes on to pitch at the major league level. Finding a left handed starting pitcher is hard, getting one from your farm system is even harder.

Wood does it again at Double-A
    Reds' prospect takes no-hitter into seventh, fans nine
    By Mason Kelley / Special to MLB.com

Travis Wood tried not to think about it.

But every few innings, he glanced up at the scoreboard and saw the zeros. He would catch himself, refocus and get back to work.

"You have to try to not think about it and just go out there and go after the hitters again," Wood said.

The 22-year-old left-hander took a no-hitter into the seventh inning and ended up allowing up one hit while striking out nine Friday as the Carolina Mudcats blanked the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx, 4-0.

"My pitches were working for me again, throwing a lot of strikes," Wood said. "The defense was behind me. We scored some runs, got a little lead, so it made it a little bit easier to pitch."

For Wood, the Southern League has been a playground this season. He has won six of his last eight starts, and the last time he took the mound he threw a complete-game three-hitter, tying a career-high with 11 strikeouts.

Like his no-hit bid, however, he tries to keep the same focus each start.

"It's another day," Wood said. "I've got to go out there and give it my best and, hopefully, everything works out for me."

The former second-round pick continues to find success with all five of his pitches -- fastball, cutter, slider, curve and changeup -- and is 6-3 with a league-leading 1.11 ERA over 13 starts. He hasn't allowed a run in three straight outings and has yet to give up more than two earned runs in any game this season.

"At this point, everything's just been so great," Wood said. "I've been throwing well this season. Everything's been going so well, it's just kind of rolling into one. [This start] is up there, but you don't want to put too much emphasis on it."

After a leadoff walk in the first inning, he got Greg Halman to ground into a double play and struck out Thomas Hubbard to end the frame. He fanned the next four batters as he cruised through the Diamond Jaxx's lineup.

With two outs in the seventh, Hubbard singled to right field to break up the no-hitter.

Even after another successful start, Wood is still thinking of ways to improve.

"There's always something to work on," he said.

Wood is so dominant right now it would be understandable if he felt unhittable. But he knows how fleeting success can be and, while confident, he wants to keep this season's dominance in perspective.

"You don't want to get that far ahead of yourself because at any moment anybody can hit you," he said. "You just try to stay humble and go out there and do what you can."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    I miss Adam Dunn.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Southern League pitcher of the week:

Southern League
    Travis Wood, Carolina
    1-0, 0.00 ERA, 1 G, 1 GS, 7.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 9 SO
    With seven scoreless innings this week, Reds prospect Travis Wood has now thrown 22 consecutive shutout innings. After losing his first three starts of the season, Wood has won his past six decisions and has brought his ERA down to 1.11. The Little Rock native leads the Reds organization in wins and strikeouts (69). Wood is the Southern League's first two-time weekly award winner of the 2009 season. He was also named SL Pitcher of the Week last week, when he threw 15 scoreless innings.
    Back-to-back awards for young Travis.

He's got nothing left to prove in AA.

The 2005 draft also netted Jeff Stevens, who was later traded for Brandon Phillips.

What do you think, mid-season promotion this year?
    Last edited by bellhead; 06-16-2009 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HBP View Post
    He's got nothing left to prove in AA.
    I am not ready to go that far. Travis has battled control issues his entire career. He has thrown 7 games where he has shown good control in a row. Does that mean he has the problems fixed? I am not sure. I wouldn't be upset either way about keeping him in AA longer or promoting him to AAA, but I don't think that he is at the point of having nothing left to prove in AA.

My thought is this, who here believe Wood is ready to help the Reds this season? Who thinks getting him a start or 2 w/ the big league club will really ramp up his development? My guess is no body on quesiton 1, and few on question 2 (if that many). Therefor, if he's not going to help the big league club, and he's not ready for a spot start in september, why not let him sit in AA all season (or most of the year) and refine his pitching, cycle thru the league a few more times, seeing how the competition adjusts, and hopefully gaining some confidence in his stuff while getting ready to get a look see in spring training next year.

Why not challenge him with AAA? This is his 4th full year in the system, so it's not like he won't know what's expected of him. Meanwhile, you have 32 year old Justin Lehr in Louisville, and no offense to him, but his major league future isn't exactly the brightest. Promote Wood this month, let him finish the year with the Bats and then be ready for a callup next season. Just my opinion.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HBP View Post
    Why not challenge him with AAA? This is his 4th full year in the system, so it's not like he won't know what's expected of him. Meanwhile, you have 32 year old Justin Lehr in Louisville, and no offense to him, but his major league future isn't exactly the brightest. Promote Wood this month, let him finish the year with the Bats and then be ready for a callup next season. Just my opinion.
    If he keeps doing what he is doing for another couple of weeks you really can't keep him there (AA) as much as it might make sense to do so. He's not just doing well he's completely dominating in most every way imaginable and has been for quite some time already. Personally I'd like to see him get another 2 weeks to a month or so there and then move to AAA for the last month+.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    The 2005 draft also netted Jeff Stevens, who was later traded for Brandon Phillips.
    Brandon Roberts(Round 7) netted Juan Castro.

MLB Mock Draft
    2009:
    2. Dustin Ackley 27. Tyler Skaggs 33. Kyle Heckathorn 51. Nick Franklin 82. Billy Bullock

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    If he keeps doing what he is doing for another couple of weeks you really can't keep him there (AA) as much as it might make sense to do so. He's not just doing well he's completely dominating in most every way imaginable and has been for quite some time already. Personally I'd like to see him get another 2 weeks to a month or so there and then move to AAA for the last month+.
    Good point by Medford. I really agree with him. But if Wood comes close to matching his numbers for the last 22 innings, say allows less than 2 runs and strikes out 20. the Reds will be hard pressed not to promote him. Or what if he does the unthinkable matches 22 scoreless innings, maybe even rings up 50 shutout innings. Then you have to promote him and give him the cursory September look. Everyone will want to see him. Remember Herrera wasn't even supposed to be on the roster leaving Spring training. But it is hard to say no to a guy who does nothing but get hitters out.

Wood could pitch his way up. it would be a nice thing to see.

If he finishes the year at AA, and he keeps pitching like this, he rockets to the top of the Reds prospect list, past Yonder and Frazier.

And there is a lot of value for the Reds if that happens. Free pub, and teams will be clamoring for him. I'm not saying the Reds should move him, but no doubt offers will be made.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?