Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Travis Wood

Re: Travis Wood

Quote Originally Posted by HBP View Post
    Why not challenge him with AAA? This is his 4th full year in the system, so it's not like he won't know what's expected of him. Meanwhile, you have 32 year old Justin Lehr in Louisville, and no offense to him, but his major league future isn't exactly the brightest. Promote Wood this month, let him finish the year with the Bats and then be ready for a callup next season. Just my opinion.
    I'm sure Wood will taste AAA this year and probably pitch there most or all of next year.

It's common for folks to say that it's a waste to keep journeymen types pitching at AAA, why not use all the spots for prospects? The Justin Lehr comment for example.

AAA has two functions. It is developmental for prospects, although AA is often considered more of a "prospects" level. But AAA also supplies major league replacements when there is an injury or other vacancy.

For injury replacements, teams often want experienced guys, even if they aren't likely to have a long term career.

The Reds went out and got Justin Lehr just like they got guys like Pettyjohn and Livingston and others. They want guys like that as insurance at the AAA level.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron View Post
    Brandon Roberts(Round 7) netted Juan Castro.
    Just to add to that . . .
    Zach Ward netted Kyle Lohse, who netted Matt Maloney.
    Russ Haltiwanger netted Jeff Keppinger, who netted Drew Sutton.
    Abe Woody netted Jerry Gil.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'm sure Wood will taste AAA this year and probably pitch there most or all of next year.

It's common for folks to say that it's a waste to keep journeymen types pitching at AAA, why not use all the spots for prospects? The Justin Lehr comment for example.

AAA has two functions. It is developmental for prospects, although AA is often considered more of a "prospects" level. But AAA also supplies major league replacements when there is an injury or other vacancy.

For injury replacements, teams often want experienced guys, even if they aren't likely to have a long term career.

The Reds went out and got Justin Lehr just like they got guys like Pettyjohn and Livingston and others. They want guys like that as insurance at the AAA level.
    True, they do serve a purpose. A somewhat unlikely but still possible reason for Wood to get to AAA soon is because Arroyo and Harang may be shipped out by August. Those spots would go to Owings/Maloney/Bailey I'm sure, but Wood could make it interesting by dominating AAA like he has AA.

So...on the AAA insurance policy where does Justin Lehr rank?? 3rd? 4th? 8th? He could be sent to AA and be called up if that type of 'emergency' ever happened. Guys like Justin Lehr are there to hold a spot until a real prospect is ready to take their place. Justin Lehr should not impede the progress of any of our pitching prospects. Lehr is not even on the 40-man roster so someone would have to be waived to even bring him up...all Justin Lehr is doing is holding a spot at AAA until someone like Wood is ready to be moved up. Once someone is ready, Justin Lehr or someone like him will be asked to step aside. Despite saying that, I'm not suggesting rushing Wood to AAA. I think at some point though if he continues to put up numbers similar to what he has so far, he will have to be moved up.

Bum

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    So...on the AAA insurance policy where does Justin Lehr rank?? 3rd? 4th? 8th? He could be sent to AA and be called up if that type of 'emergency' ever happened. Guys like Justin Lehr are there to hold a spot until a real prospect is ready to take their place. Justin Lehr should not impede the progress of any of our pitching prospects. Lehr is not even on the 40-man roster so someone would have to be waived to even bring him up...all Justin Lehr is doing is holding a spot at AAA until someone like Wood is ready to be moved up. Once someone is ready, Justin Lehr or someone like him will be asked to step aside. Despite saying that, I'm not suggesting rushing Wood to AAA. I think at some point though if he continues to put up numbers similar to what he has so far, he will have to be moved up.

Bum
    It seems Lehr's primary benefit right now is teaching Homer the splitter

Here's the problem that many seem to overlook, but frankly the Reds can't. Many of these decisions are not simpe cold hearted pure baseball decisions, but factor in the human element into the decision. The Reds need the Justin Lehrs of the world to not only round out their AAA roster, but to provide roster insurance for injuries, trades, etc on the big league club.

In another light, lets say Nix doesn't make the major league club out of ST, and goes down to AAA while Gomes is up in Cincy. Nix is playing every day, providing pretty good numbers against righties, but clearly struggling vs righties. How many would consider him a "real" talent capable of helping the big league club? How many would want to send him down to AA to make room for Chris Heisey to play every day, after all, Heisey is a real talent that can hit both righties and lefties, not some glorified platoon player.

Now we've all seen how a player like Nix can help the big league club. He may not be the long term answer, but he's certainly been a big part of keeping them above .500 and in contention. Now Justin Lehr was never the prospect like Laynce Nix once was, and likely will never help the big league club, but he does serve a purpose.

However, that's not even my arguement. If the Reds were to start jetising every Justin Lehr for the next big prospect they'll develop a relationship amongst agents that its really not a place for your AAAA ball player to spend the season hoping to catch on with the big league club. Sure cutting 1 kid like Lehr, or sending him down to AA probably doesn't create a reputation, or much of one anyways, but I've seen it mentioned more than 1x in the past. Would messing w/ the Justin Lehr's of the world, limit the chances for them to sign the next Laynce Nix? Do it often enough and it will.

Its still mid-june. Injuries, trades, ineffectiveness at either the AAA or major league club will eventually create room for Wood to get his shot in AAA. Meanwhile, gaining confidence and cycling thru AA a few more times won't hurt his development, and just might enhance it.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Great post, medford. A lot of us need to take more things into consideration before criticizing roster decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    It seems Lehr's primary benefit right now is teaching Homer the splitter
    That point is not to be taken too lightly. It speaks to the greater issue of having veterans around to influence the younger, more talented players. If Lehr is solely responsible for teaching Homer the splitter (and he apparently is), and if the splitter transforms Homer from a fringe major-leaguer to an 18-game winner (which it could), you could make a case that Justin Lehr is one of the most valuable players in the organization this year.

And that doesn't mention the other ways in which a guy like Lehr could benefit a guy like Bailey. Maybe Bailey is learning, from Lehr, how to set up a hitter, how to pace yourself in a ballgame, how to prepare for a start, how to use your days between starts, how to deal with a pitching coach, how to manage your temperament, and on and on. I happen to think that the influence of a good teammate is the most underrated commodity in the game today.

My point was really that WHEN a player like Wood is ready to move up (and I'm not sure he is) a player LIKE Lehr (or McDonald for that matter) would/should not be used as an excuse to block the progressing prospect from advancing. The veteran minor leaguers have value as filler for the active roster (so that actual prospects don't have to be rushed) when needed or just working with the younger players on how to be professional baseball players. I'm not sure agents make much off guys like Lehr signing a minor league contract, but I'm sure they make a couple of dollars. I never criticized any roster decision; my only argument was as I stated above. Hopefully down the line we are thanking Lehr for helping provide a 3rd pitch in Bailey's arsenal.

Bum

I believe that one of management's objective is to change the image of the organization and make Cincinnati a place where people want to play. In the long term, I believe it pays dividends even if it frustrates some of us short term

That said, Wood does seem to be ready to move up for the second half of the season. And, I believe there will be room for him.

Turn Off Ads?