Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael Taylor buzz

Michael Taylor buzz

I've been hearing more and more about Michael Taylor the last few weeks. It's been especially prevalent in the idea of trading Aaron Harang or Bronson Arroyo to the Phillies if the Reds fall out of the race.

My question is: where did the buzz come from? I've seen his stat line, and clearly he's hitting. It seems, though, you don't usually see that kind of hype for a 24-year old in Double-A. I am not at all saying he's not worth the buzz, I'm just surprised at it's unusual and it's just all of the sudden been surfacing.

His line at Reading (.339/.398/.613/1.011) is impressive. I'm more impressed by the 0.71 BB/K ratio. He's got a .445 wOBA and a .332 GPA. Even making the jump from Double-A to Philadelphia, his MLE's project to a very solid .284/.331/.489/.820. That's a respectable .271 GPA.

His numbers pass the smell test. However, beyond being from Stanford, what's the book on this guy?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Michael Taylor buzz

Lots and lots of tools. He had to kind of revamp his swing, which is why he has really turned it on of late.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Lots and lots of tools. He had to kind of revamp his swing, which is why he has really turned it on of late.
    Thanks. I wondered where the basis originated. I had heard very little about him until the last few weeks. Since then, it's exploded.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Looks like the Phillies have a ton of young guys worth trading for, and not even mentioned in the article is Lou Marson, their stud catcher moving up fast.

Corner Market

The Phillies are looking for starting pitching. They have some talent and depth in the minor leagues at corner outfield spots, and might consider using one of the following prospects in a trade:

John Mayberry Jr., 25 - He's back in triple A after hitting a home run in Yankee Stadium in his second big-league at-bat. At 6-foot-6, 230 pounds, Mayberry has excellent power but needs to make more contact to maximize it. He was hitting .277 with 8 homers, 25 RBIs, and an on-base plus slugging percentage of .887 in 37 games at triple A.

Michael Taylor, 23 - Like Mayberry, he is a Stanford product and has excellent size (6-6, 250) and power potential. Scouts believe his power numbers could improve if he incorporates more of his body into his swing. Contact is not a problem. His combined batting average last season in single A and this season in double A is .345. He was hitting .341 with 9 homers, 38 RBIs and a 1.001 OPS in 46 games at double-A Reading.

Dominic Brown, 21 - An excellent athlete, he passed on a chance to be a wide receiver at Miami. His whip-like lefthanded swing and 6-5 frame have prompted comparisons to Darryl Strawberry. He was hitting .317 with 6 homers, 33 RBIs and a .941 OPS in 44 games at single-A Clearwater. He has the raw ingredients to develop into a major-league all-star and may be an untouchable in trade talks.

- Jim Salisbury

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sport..._his_time.html

I just did a lot of reading up on Taylor, and I really really like him. If we were to trade Arroyo/Harang, he's who I'd want back.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

If I am trading with the Phillies I want Dominic Brown back. Simple as that. He is their best prospect and I don't think its that close. Brown is one of the 3 best outfield prospects in baseball.

Would the Phillies really be willing to trade Brown for either Harang or Arroyo though? I just don't see it, from their point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Would the Phillies really be willing to trade Brown for either Harang or Arroyo though? I just don't see it, from their point of view.
    Not sure, but that's what I would be asking for, especially for Harang. I don't think I would come off of it for Harang. Arroyo I would settle for a lesser player, but not Harang.

I think Harang at the trade deadline would bring an organizations best prospect + at least one other top 100 guy. During the last 4 years he is one of the top 10 pitchers in the game.

Arroyo I would be happy with one of the top 4 and some minor league arms.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    I think Harang at the trade deadline would bring an organizations best prospect + at least one other top 100 guy. During the last 4 years he is one of the top 10 pitchers in the game.

Arroyo I would be happy with one of the top 4 and some minor league arms.
    Yes, but during the last 2 years he is definitely not. I don't know that 2009 Harang nets a blue-chip #1 prospect.

Brutus, he's 23, won't turn 24 until December.

Briefly, from the post I did on ORG, my memory of reading up on him a few months back for a prospects draft I was in, is that he was highly touted coming out of HS, went to Stanford, and they messed up his swing. Big time. Apparently, and I don't know this other than from reading it, Stanford has a "Stanford approach" to swinging a bat and Taylor got messed up trying to adapt.

He got drafted in 2007 and went through a year in 2007 where the Phillies worked to help him find his original swing. Somewhere through there, a light came back on, and he exploded in 2008 and it has continued into 2009.

He is 6'6" 250 pounds, with some speed.

His current line after last night at Reading?

.339/.398/.613 for a 1.011 OPS 10 homeruns. 10 doubles. 8 stolen bases. 16 BBs. 23 Ks.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=taylor010mic
    Last edited by membengal; 06-03-2009 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Yes, but during the last 2 years he is definitely not. I don't know that 2009 Harang nets a blue-chip #1 prospect.
    If not then the Phillies don't get Aaron Harang.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    If not then the Phillies don't get Aaron Harang.
    Point being that he may not net Brown, but may be able to get Taylor in return.

If Harang goes to Philly, then we should get no less than Brown/Taylor and Drabek in return. Throw in a Jared Burton or something if you have to.

That's how valuable Harang is to the Reds.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Point being that he may not net Brown, but may be able to get Taylor in return.
    I want the Reds to get whomever's "blue chip" player if they deal Harang. If you have Brown ahead of Taylor and you are the Reds front office, you demand Brown.

Yes, Harang still should merit that. If not, don't deal him.

Turn Off Ads?