Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Need To Pursue Holliday

Reds Need To Pursue Holliday

Rental player or not, Holliday could be on the move. And if Billy Beane doesn't ask the farm for Holliday I think Uncle Walt needs to make this move. This could have the same impact that Mark McGwire did for the Cardinals when Walt acquired him from Oakland. Plus, Holliday in the Reds lineup can take some pressure off of Jay Bruce and replace the lost production with Joey Votto on the DL. And if Great American Ballpark isn't the best thing to hit in next to Coors Field, I don't know what ballpark is.

This deal makes all the sense in the world.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4229959
    Last edited by Krusty; 06-04-2009 at 10:13 AM.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Reds Need To Pursue Holliday

You mean we'll have a Big Mac sign in left field that King Albert will knock the "I" bulb out of with one of his superhero gargantuan blasts?

Except LF will be named "Holliday Inn," and yes Matt sleeps in one every night. How do you think he does what he does?

And if Billy Beane doesn't ask the farm for Holliday
    He's an asset, let's get to the crutch of the issue.. why would he NOT ask for the farm?

Current OPS: Holliday: .804, Laynce Nix: .933.

I'm all for acquired Holliday; I wonder what the Reds would have to give up to get him for half a season. I wonder if Matt Maloney putting together 1 or 2 solid starts prior to Volquez returning from the DL would go a long way towards meeting the A's demands. If the Indian's got LaPorta for CC, would the Reds have to give up Alonso for Holliday? Seems like you can get more back for pitching talent than you could get back for an outfielder, so perhaps the return won't have to be so great.

I feel like this has been discussed before.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I feel like this has been discussed before.
    Ad nauseam, frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I like what I've seen of Nix so far, especially vs righties, but the back of a baseball card will tell you that Holliday will hit both righties & lefties to a solid OPS, and Nix will come back to earth a bit, and won't ever hit lefties. Of course w/ what I've seen of Nix so far, I'm more than willing to give it another month (as well as some starts vs lefties) to see if perhaps Nix is a semblance of the prospect he was once thought to be.

I agree. While Nix has done a good job thus far in LF, an acquisition of Holliday would add some stability & credibility to the lineup and strengthen the bench.

A lot has been made about Holliday's slow start in Oakland. However in May we produced more in line to his prior seasons.

Code:
       G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS   
     April   18 75 5 18 4 1 1 12 4 12 0 0 .240 .288 .360 .648   
     May   29 103 18 30 2 0 5 16 19 17 4 1 .291 .416 .456 .872   
     June   3 12 2 4 2 0 1 5 1 3 0 0 .333 .385 .750 1.135
    Also his splits away from pitcher friendly confines of Oakland are quite encouraging.

Code:
       G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS   
     Home   24 88 11 22 3 1 3 17 12 17 1 1 .250 .353 .409 .762   
     Away   26 102 14 30 5 0 4 16 12 15 3 0 .294 .379 .461 .840
    The other aspect of a trade of this magnitude would be the positive effect to the clubhouse that ownership is in it to win.

As long as the price isn't insanely high, I would love this move.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Nix has been used almost exclusively against righties as a major leaguer (lefties have annihilated him in the few PAs he's gotten against them in the bigs) so really he's kind of half a player. His projections are built upon not having to face lefties as well.

Holliday is a superior player both offensively and defensively. Of course the argument ensues concerning how much of an upgrade over a platoon and what is it worth....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I am all for pursuing Matt Holliday, especially if ownership makes a real effort to sign him to a long-term contract. He could anchor this lineup with Votto and Bruce for years to come.

Man Pills

Once Votto gets back, offense likely becomes a pretty minor problem. Reds should be targeting starters for the dog days--injuries, ineffectiveness will bring the whole structure down if not remedied.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Rental player or not, Holliday could be on the move. And if Billy Beane doesn't ask the farm for Holliday I think Uncle Walt needs to make this move.
    Of course he will ask the farm for Holliday.

In any event, Holliday is a good player, but he doesn't represent that much increased value to a Nix/Goomes platoon that we should give up a lot of trading chips to get a rental player.

Free agent in the offseason. Which means if Beane doesn't get the right deal he will gladly take the draft picks. I would imagine you would have to start the bidding with Alonso to get him, plus two other players, Heisey seems like a Beane player.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?