Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 570 foot home runs, 96 MPH fastballs, 16 years old

Senor Votto

570 foot home runs, 96 MPH fastballs, 16 years old

Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:00 pm EDT

Bryce Harper punches his ticket to Cooperstown at age 16
    By 'Duk
    I have no idea if there's a difference in pressure between having every baseball wonk following you around at age 16 and having every sports fan in the country learn your name, but I suppose Bryce Harper will soon be able to tell us.

Following in its grand tradition of predicting can't miss future superstars like Schea Cotton and Tamir Goodman, Sports Illustrated is using the cover of this week's magazine to tout the 16-year-old Las Vegas resident as "the most exciting prodigy since LeBron."

Writes SI's Tom Verducci:

"Still only 16, Harper stands 6'3", weighs 205 pounds, has faster bat speed than Mark McGwire in his prime and runs so fast that he scored on wild pitches six times this season from second base. As a catcher he picks off runners from his knees, and when he pitches, he throws a fastball that has been clocked at 96 mph.

"When James was 16, he was a high school sophomore with an NBA game and a body to match. Harper has been compared to Justin Upton(notes), Alex Rodriguez(notes) and Ken Griffey Jr.(notes), each a freakishly advanced high school player and each the top overall pick of his draft. But Harper, say the baseball men who are paid to make such assessments, has the ability as a sophomore that the aforementioned trio had as seniors."

Whether or not Harper will eventually save SI from the limb it just walked out on remains to be seen, but it should be said that Harper certainly believes he can.

"Be in the Hall of Fame, definitely," says Harper when asked by Verducci about his goals. "Play in Yankee Stadium. Play in the pinstripes. Be considered the greatest baseball player who ever lived. I can't wait."

Under normal circumstances, I'd say it's getting ahead of ourselves to point out that he doesn't mention winning the World Series as a goal or that he'll likely have to play the first several years of his career for a team not named the Yankees before his current "adviser" Scott Boras negotiates the first billion dollar contract in MLB history.

But since we're talking about a kid who's hitting 570-foot home runs and already has a frame that looks like it was constructed by a team of uber-intelligent robots, why not get a little crazy and predict that Harper will finish his career by passing Barry Bonds'(notes) home run mark, Pete Rose's hits mark AND Cy Young's wins total? Of course, that'll only be after he hits .400 in a season, hits safely in 57 straight games and throws eight no-hitters ... in the same year.

(Hey, everyone else is doing it ... why can't I?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQQ5cZD8PgU

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 570 foot home runs, 96 MPH fastballs, 16 years old

Wow. I can't believe that kid REALLY made that statement. Talking about the Hall of Fame at age 16? He has no idea what goes into making it that far. He's in for a reality check, physical gifts or not.

Senor Votto

I'm not sure if he meant it to come out like that or not. They asked him about his goals and he said Hall of Fame. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with this kid.

Sounds like the Josh Hamilton Story part deux. Hopefully his road won't be as rocky as Josh's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Someone revive George Plimpton. The kid certainly looks like a natural but baseball's a funny game.

The kid is special... That was a great video... Thanks for posting!

I think it's cool how the kid can swing so fast that it actually makes his swing look like it's in slow motion with his bat glowing like a light saber.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

"Almost time to trade off the team again"

--Marlins ownership

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    "Almost time to trade off the team again"

--Marlins ownership
    "He should be worth at least 4 Braves mid level prospects."

--Pirates ownership

"Why, yes, Mr. Boras, we have a spare bedroom you can use until the draft."
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Wow. I can't believe that kid REALLY made that statement. Talking about the Hall of Fame at age 16? He has no idea what goes into making it that far. He's in for a reality check, physical gifts or not.
    He's 16. Bulletproof and knows everything, just like most 16-year-olds.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Interesting that in the video it appeared that he was awarded a wooden bat as the trophie while he was hitting meatballs with a metal bat during the contest.

Rem

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I know that the excuse is the extra expense, but I'd really love to see high schools & colleges do away with aluminum bats. I cringe everytime I hear that "PING" instead of the "CRACK!". Probably the same reason I won't use metal woods when I hit the links. It just seems....wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I know that the excuse is the extra expense, but I'd really love to see high schools & colleges do away with aluminum bats. I cringe everytime I hear that "PING" instead of the "CRACK!". Probably the same reason I won't use metal woods when I hit the links. It just seems....wrong.
    You're correct. It makes you feel so, ummmm, dirty.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    He's 16. Bulletproof and knows everything, just like most 16-year-olds.
    Correct. But the thing that would concern me is, his parents are buying into the hype. Shouldn't someone around the kid say "Hey, calm down a minute. You have a long way to go." His parents want to take him out of high school so that he can pursue BASEBALL! I mean, c'mon. For every ARod and Griffey there's 10 David Clydes.

Turn Off Ads?