Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Per Buster Olney: Reds looking for a 3rd baseman

Per Buster Olney: Reds looking for a 3rd baseman

per mlb traderumors and Olneys ESPN Insider (i dont have access)

"The Reds are looking for a third baseman. "

Whom start nameing names.. who is availble? Cantu?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Per Buster Olney: Reds looking for a 3rd baseman

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    per mlb trade roumurs and Olneys ESPN Insider (i dont have access)

I hope not

If defense is the problem, then Cantu isn't the answer.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Is Brooks Robinson still available? What about that Schmidt guy? No? Okay, let's stick with what we've got for now then. We've got PLENTY of 3rd base prospects IMO.

Derosa? Tejada? Either one is fine by me.

If its Cantu they're thinking about......... Well that nonsense needs to cease and desist.

Who is actually available?

Is Buster just being a lazy gotham - centric moron yet again?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    I hope not
    I'm not sure the defense aspect meshes with what this club wants. And at first glance, I like the looks of his numbers... they aren't bad at all:

9 HR
    41 RBI
    .338/.476/.814
    Created about 29 runs, with a .271 GPA and acquiring .505 bases per PA.

But I thought about it, and the Reds can get this same production out of Encarnacion, who's probably the same caliber defender.

So after thinking about it, he's probably not what the team needs right now. Problem is, I'm not sure there are really any quality third basemen available. Garrett Atkins is a major risk right now. Mark DeRosa is not much different than what's on the team.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

What about Adrian Beltre?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Yes, Please.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I would take this to mean one of four things:

1) They are starting to get sick of Encarnacion's defense and want to simply replace him.
    2) They are starting to get sick of Encarnacion's defense and are considering moving him to the OF.
    3) Votto's situation is much more serious than anyone is saying, and they are planning to move Encarnacion temporarily to 1B while they await Alonso's arrival.
    4) Buster Olney doesn't know what he's talking about.

I'm thinking it is probably some mixture of 1, 2 and 4. I'm really hoping it isn't 3.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    He's having an awful season, although his road numbers are respectable (.303/.333/.422/.755). In total he has just four homers, though despite a .244 batting average he's driven in 25.

Last year was a little better: .266 BA 26 HR & 77 RBI. .327/.457/.784
    Away from Seattle, though, his line went: .292/.349/.512/.861.

Overall, offensively he's not much better than an average hitter the past two seasons. However, with the idea that a change of scenery would do him good, and the fact he can glove it pretty well, I would not be vehemently opposed to that idea.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

This is all it says.

The Reds have been looking for a third baseman.
    Although under the rumors section it does have the rockies considering moving Atkins to AAA due to his struggles. They did like him at one point allegedly, now would be a good time to buy low if they were actually interested.

Atkins piece
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 06-04-2009 at 03:38 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Atkins in a buy low situation is best option.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    Atkins in a buy low situation is best option.
    Is Atkins that much different from EE?

I would hate to see the Cards or Cubs get him, I'd trade for him just to see them suffer.

DeRosa eyed by Cardinals
    Mark DeRosa | Indians | Interested: Cardinals?

Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak is looking for a third baseman and gave every indication on Monday that he would welcome Mark DeRosa.

The Cardinals need a third baseman because Troy Glaus has shoulder ligament damage and is not expected to return until mid-July or early August.

Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com reported that Mozeliak is looking for a right-handed bat who can play third base until Glaus returns, at which point he would move somewhere elsewhere in the field.

The Indians have had DeRosa basically on the block for a couple weeks now, because his value to them isn't anywhere near what it was before Jhonny Peralta moved to third base.

In return for DeRosa, MLB.com says the Indians would want Major League-ready pitching. The Cardinals could potentially make right-handed starter Mitchell Boggs available in a trade, but what the Cards really have to offer is right-handed relievers, such as P.J. Walters or Chris Perez.
    Indians may be closer to sell-off
    The Indians may be closer to a mid-season sell off.

According to John Paul Morosi of FoxSports.com, the latest sign came Sunday, when they placed center fielder Grady Sizemore on the disabled list with inflammation in his left elbow.

Morosi writes that unless the Indians demonstrate quickly that they can win without Sizemore, it will be harder for general manager Mark Shapiro to justify keeping the team together.

If Shapiro determines that his team isn't going to make a run, then the Indians' prospective free agents will be available on the trade market: the much-talked-about Mark DeRosa, veteran utility infielder Jamey Carroll, and recently-effective starter Carl Pavano.

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?