Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Matt Maloney to start Saturday vs Cubs

Re: Matt Maloney to start Saturday vs Cubs

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    He really didn't pitch himself into jams. The first inning two men got on base, one of which was Theriot getting beaned on a ball that was over the plate but high. Hard to fault Maloney on that one. The second inning jam happens happens only because Hairston makes an error.

He allowed 7 baserunners in 6+ innings - that's exactly what he needs to do to succeed. 4 K vs 1 BB is getting the job done. He's going to give up some HRs and to survive that he needs to keep the bases relatively empty. He did that last night.
    I agree with this.

After seeing him pitch, he's not a savior for Cincinnati or anything...but, I think as a 5 guy or something, he'd be fine. He really look polished on the mound. He didn't get rattled...and he was very crafty. His control was great and each pitch had a purpose. His changeup was very good too. Despite what has been said, I think it is an out pitch.

If nothing else...I think he increased his value. If the Reds don't plan on keeping him in the rotation, they should move him now. He is major league ready and can help another team. Surely the Reds can get something of value back for him. I could see the Reds hanging on to him for depth purposes, which is fine, but he's ready to pitch at The Show now.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 06-07-2009 at 02:48 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Not really.

One of his HR pitches was to a career minor leaguer on a hanging breaking ball that would've been a home run in any stadium. You can't say much about that HR other than "Don't ever, under any circumstances, make a pitch like that again." The other was a high fastball to a high fastball hitter, and I think you chalk that one up to "read the scouting reports better next time instead of sitting up thinking about not screwing up your first big league start."

It's hard to judge tendencies off one game, especially a first game where there is so much going on, mentally, in the back of someone's mind.
    I agree completely. If they had hit his best stuff and not mistakes, I would be more concerned.

My concern was that he's a nibbler who gets AAA hitters to chase. But he was around the plate and didn't get mashed despite not having his curve working until the fourth inning.

Of course, two homers and three doubles are a concern. I'm certain he'll give up his share of homers, like Browning did. But he can still be effective.

It helps that we some OF defense.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    He really didn't pitch himself into jams. The first inning two men got on base, one of which was Theriot getting beaned on a ball that was over the plate but high. Hard to fault Maloney on that one. The second inning jam happens happens only because Hairston makes an error.

He allowed 7 baserunners in 6+ innings - that's exactly what he needs to do to succeed. 4 K vs 1 BB is getting the job done. He's going to give up some HRs and to survive that he needs to keep the bases relatively empty. He did that last night.
    I agree, on balance he was very solid last night. My point is that we shouldn't make it a positive that a guy can pitch out of jams that he pitched in to -- bloops or not. Like batting average, it's just not something to get worked up about because the skills that matter show up elsewhere. Good pitchers generally, those who allow fewer baserunners, will do best at getting out of jams. Let's hope he maintains that superb WHIP.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I agree, on balance he was very solid last night. My point is that we shouldn't make it a positive that a guy can pitch out of jams that he pitched in to -- bloops or not. Like batting average, it's just not something to get worked up about because the skills that matter show up elsewhere. Good pitchers generally, those who allow fewer baserunners, will do best at getting out of jams. Let's hope he maintains that superb WHIP.
    A first start (or, for that matter, a first couple of starts) for a young player are always "Show me" starts in my book. Show me signs that whatever you were doing in the minors is good enough to work at the big league level. Show me that you've got more going on than the typical "Better than a AAA player, worse than a major leaguer" type arm.

I don't expect Matt Maloney to throw 6+ IP of 2 ER baseball every night. It's simply unrealistic to expect a rookie to perform that way. What I do want to see are signs that we can expect good things in the future at the major league level from him. The kind of signs that make me feel comfortable making deals this year to free a spot for him in the future, or give other teams good feelings about making him the centerpiece of a deal that brings back talent in a more needed area.

Anything above that, from a rookie pitcher, is frosting and a cherry on top.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

MM has pitched almost 600 innings in the minors (including 3 stints in AAA) and another 150 inning in college. The realistic expectation for a 25 year old like that is that he can ride the Louisville shuttle to and fro while throwing strikes and burning innings on the occasions he's called north.

If the guy didn't have "poise" one should worry that even back end was too optimistic.

It's not unlike Livingston. The reasonable expectation is that he can throw strikes and give the defense something to do.
    Last edited by jojo; 06-07-2009 at 09:01 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

It's not unlike Livingston. The reasonable expectation is that he can throw strikes and give the defense something to do.
    K:BB is much better for Maloney. The comparison to Livingston is squarely on the pessimistic side.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    K:BB is much better for Maloney. The comparison to Livingston is squarely on the pessimistic side.
    I think you missed the point of my post.

But talking about ceilings, for what it's worth, Sickels is probably the biggest supporter of Maloney and he basically only dares to suggest that Maloney might become a #4 rather than declaring he thinks it's likely.

BTW, last night really didn't provide anything that we didn't already know or shouldve expected (i.e nobody's opinion should've been dramatically changed). Just remember, after two starts from Thompson there were some declaring the "the trade" a complete slam dunk win.
    Last edited by jojo; 06-07-2009 at 09:20 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Another nice start tonight by Matt Maloney. His final line should be this:

6 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 5 K

But instead, it's 5.2 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 2 BB, 5 K

In the 6th inning, Maloney picked off Teahen for the third out...however, Ramon Hernandez made a horrible throw. Instead of the third out, the runner was safe and the next batter homered. Not Maloney's fault. He pitched another good game, unfortunately, his offense and defense let him down. Again.

I'd like to see Matt get a few more starts. I've been impressed with his first two starts.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 06-12-2009 at 09:57 PM.

He has looked good OBM. It will be interesting to see how he pitches once a scouting report gets developed.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Key to Maloney is avoiding the long ball. He has good control and nice stuff, and is poised out there, but his mistakes tend to wind up in the bleachers.

Guy, though, is definitely a major league pitcher and it would make no sense to send him back to AAA. Either start him, relieve him, or trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Key to Maloney is avoiding the long ball. He has good control and nice stuff, and is poised out there, but his mistakes tend to wind up in the bleachers.

Guy, though, is definitely a major league pitcher and it would make no sense to send him back to AAA. Either start him, relieve him, or trade him.
    I agree. He's going to give up plenty of homers. The key is to limit them to solo homers.

It's a shame Hernandez botched that play and cost Maloney two runs. He pitched better than his final line indicates.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

I don't think there's any way to tell at all at this point.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    You're correct, of course. But I think Maloney has shown that he is entitled to a full shot at the majors, more than just a few outings. He may never be a star, but his command, poise, and reasonable stuff seem good enough.

Of course, if the team doesn't score any runs, all these pitchers - particularly the ones with less experience - may suffer. It's hard to pitch effectively game after game without run support.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I disagree with that. I think you can tell. The stuff is a bit better than I thought, his poise is off the charts, he has command. Last night against the Royals he again pitched extremely well. He hung a curveball for his biggest mistake of the night and paid for it. Of course, he should have been out the inning already so again the defense clobbers a young pitcher. This WAS a game where one can definitely say that had Joey been in there instead of an inexperienced Hernandez at first that play probably gets made correctly. Then we're looking at an exceptional starting performance from Maloney.

The point is, the WAY he pitches tells you more than his stuff ever could. This kid does belong. There will be bumps on the way but he is a pitcher - and those who believe in the art of pitching as opposed to just using stuff to blow guys away know what I mean. It's great if you find a Cueto or Volquez who can dominate while learning but it's also fun to watch a guy with a great changeup and average fastball and curves work his repertoire like a chess master out there. Maloney spent a long time learning his craft because he needed to - the powerballers can come on earlier and thrive but guys like Maloney, imo, are best served by a longer journey up and the ones who'll be successful learn something every time they go out there because they have to.

If only we could screw Matt Maloney's head onto Homer Bailey's shoulders.

Turn Off Ads?