Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Maloney to start Saturday vs Cubs

Re: Matt Maloney to start Saturday vs Cubs

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    Savior, or dude who is better than Micah Owings' 5.27 xFIP?
    There's a long tradition of Reds fans waiting for the next big thing to get the call up and clamoring for it to happen. Maloney has earned his chance, but far too often fans think "if only _________ gets the call it's the piece we need".

I'm not saying that SMCGavin personally thinks this, but the history is clear.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 06-05-2009 at 07:06 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    There's a long tradition of Reds fans waiting for the next big thing to get the call up and clamoring for it to happen. Maloney has earned his chance, but far too often fans think "if only _________ gets the call it's the piece we need".

I haven't weighed in, but I certainly wouldn't consider Maloney a "saviour" (nor would I Bailey). I will say this though, it's awful nice to know we've got talent available to call up and understand they're reasonably capable pitchers. Maloney certainly seems ready and I hope he does well. Depth, as folks have been saying for eons now, is good.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I can't wait for this game. Good or bad outcome for Matt and the Reds there are a few things I want to see.

Will his stuff compete at the ML level. There have been guys with similar repertoires who succeed but usually they pay their dues for a while at the big league level before honing their "craftiness" to a level that works consistently. He gets a solid lineup to be tested on.

Maloney has the control but does he have the command to make his brand of stuff work? Not just strikes but strikes in the right zones against the right hitters? Between him and the catcher they have to know how to set up each guy and then Matt has to hit the spots.

He's been great keeping the ball in the park in AAA. Can he do that in the bigs?

A lefty!! My goodness its been a long time. That alone makes me want to see this. Seeing a lefty starter on the Reds is like spotting a dodo bird in the polynesians.

He's a hard working good guy who has earned a shot. Yeah I know that "blue collar" label usually means mediocre talent or pedestrian results or worse. It's in the same label bin with "scrappy" and "hard-nosed" and "hustler". I can't help but like guys like that, though. It's much harder to identify with uber talented jocks who have more athleticism in their pinkie than I do in my whole body. I love the myth of the hard worker who wrings out the last drop of ability to compete well despite lack of native talent. Note I said Myth.

The Reds need a break this year. They've played so well, they don't quit, they fight but come on...Votto and Volquez at the same time? After a decade of futility that seems a cruel twist by the baseball gods. It'd be a fitting irony if a soft tossing lefty came up and pitched really well - even just long enough to get Volquie back.

It's a good year to get a shot for Matt. The Reds are near the top in defensive zone rating. They still make some errors but I'll take a great zone rating and the errors over few errors and a poor zone rating anyday. The OFers can get to the ball and that should help Maloney. Sending a guy with his kind of stuff out there with last June's outfield would have been a merciless act. If he doesn't walk guys and keeps it in the park they'll have to earn their hits. One of the things I've enjoyed this year is far fewer "freebie hits" allowed on balls hit to the outfield.

Finally, it's a chance to get a better handle on what the Reds have in Maloney. A good showing or two - and trade discussions involving Harang or Arroyo could really heat up near the deadline.

I wonder if Matt will be taking the Idiotmobile up from LOU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I was clamoring for him because I was tired of seeing the Reds mishandle Homer Bailey at Matt's expense. Homer shouldn't have sniffed a callup based on his performance this year. his talent teases, but the execution is inconsistent. Too soon, too fast. All Matt Maloney has done is succeed and progress. He's having an outstanding season and has very good peripherals to go along with his gaudy era.

That said, he could get slammed in his 1st MLB start, but he earned the chance to be the first guy called when the season started, and Bailey didn't.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I do think that the HR rate is key. If he can keep it in the park, then he offers tremendous value as a spot starter/long reliever, working behind a staff of righthanded starters.

the post-PED era likely helps him a LOT,as does the fact that the Reds have coddled him; maybe he's had enough time to figure out most of the small stuff. on the minus side: ballpark size

If he follows Cueto in the rotation, he could prove to be effective. Soft tossing lefthander following a hard throwing righthander with all kinds of stuff and you might have something. I agree with those of you who said that his success will probably hinge on keeping the ball in the ballpark. Would like to see a lefthander in the rotation. Don't know if Maloney is the guy. Wish him the best.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I'm glad that Matt is getting a chance to pitch this weekend. I'll be watching him on TV tomorrow night and I hope he has a great outing.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Maloney has earned this opportunity and I hope he does well. I have my doubts but, you never know until you give the guy a chance.

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I haven't weighed in, but I certainly wouldn't consider Maloney a "saviour" (nor would I Bailey). I will say this though, it's awful nice to know we've got talent available to call up and understand they're reasonably capable pitchers. Maloney certainly seems ready and I hope he does well. Depth, as folks have been saying for eons now, is good.

Good point. It sure beats the days of rushing fringy prospects like Brian Reith from Double-A when they were clearly not ready to help.

I think Maloney's lack of stuff has been overblown. His fastball hits 90, his changeup was described as a plus changeup, and he throws four pitches, all of which he can throw for strikes. His career AAA K/9 is 8.5 (higher than Homer Bailey's). He's not Cueto in the stuff department but he's not Jamie Moyer either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post

I don't think a single person on Redszone thinks Matt Maloney is the missing piece the Reds need to contend. Literally, not one person. You're knocking down a strawman.

I think the take from pretty much everyone on this thread is reasonable. Generally, it can be summarized as:

1. He's earned a look. If he doesn't get a look off of what he has accomplished this year, at his age and progression, it's a bad message to send to the rest of your minors.

2. His stuff doesn't project to set the world afire, but, hey, he might be plenty serviceable. Or not. Either way, we'll have a better gauge of whether he has a major league future and in what capacity. That's important.

3. New things are fun.

Glad he got the call. Looking forward to something new and shiny. Until the next new and shiny thing.
    Last edited by membengal; 06-05-2009 at 11:16 AM.

Cruisin' for trouble

So, what is everyone projecting for his line for Saturday's game?

I'll go 6IP, 7H, 4ER, 2BB, 4K and will be happy with anything better.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    I think Maloney's lack of stuff has been overblown. His fastball hits 90, his changeup was described as a plus changeup, and he throws four pitches, all of which he can throw for strikes. His career AAA K/9 is 8.5 (higher than Homer Bailey's). He's not Cueto in the stuff department but he's not Jamie Moyer either.
    And he's a lefty. I know I've shared this, but I had a friend who pitched at Xavier around the same age as Charlie Liebrandt. He and Liebrandt had essentially the same stuff, but Liebrandt could get by with the slower fastball because he was left handed. My friend signed a free agent contract with the Cardinals, went down to spring training and quit at the end of spring. He knew that ultimately topping in the high 80's as a right hander wasn't going to get him to the majors and decided it was time to move on to the next phase in his life. Maloney, hopefully, can get by topping out at that range because he's lefthanded.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?