Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Maloney to start Saturday vs Cubs

Re: Matt Maloney to start Saturday vs Cubs

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    I'm glad that Matt is getting a chance to pitch this weekend. I'll be watching him on TV tomorrow night and I hope he has a great outing.
    The game is on WGN for those out of market Dish Network Subscribers.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    So, what is everyone projecting for his line for Saturday's game?

I'll go 6IP, 7H, 4ER, 2BB, 4K and will be happy with anything better.
    8IP 11K's 0BB's 1ER.

or not.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I think Membengal summed it up best. I also think comparing a 26 year-old pitcher making his major league debut to Jamie Moyer, a 250-ish game winner, is way premature. We'll see how his 'stuff' translates; let the comparisons come after he actually establishes himself (if he does that). Jamie Moyer has had a great career and has been a really good pitcher; I realize it's hard to believe that when you see him pitch, but he seems to be under-appreciated for what he has been able to accomplish with the tools that he has had to work with.

I really hope Maloney does well and proves us skeptics wrong.

Bum

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Also note for that a righty dominated lineup the Cubs have, they are 5-5 versus lefty starters with loses to Doug Davis and an old redszone favorite Eric Milton.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    I also think comparing a 26 year-old pitcher making his major league debut to Jamie Moyer, a 250-ish game winner, is way premature. We'll see how his 'stuff' translates; let the comparisons come after he actually establishes himself (if he does that). Jamie Moyer has had a great career and has been a really good pitcher; I realize it's hard to believe that when you see him pitch, but he seems to be under-appreciated for what he has been able to accomplish with the tools that he has had to work with.
    Jamie Moyer is the greatest pitcher in baseball history, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    I don't think a single person on Redszone thinks Matt Maloney is the missing piece the Reds need to contend. Literally, not one person. You're knocking down a strawman.
    You are correct...nobody has typed the exact words 'We need MM to contend' or 'Matt is our savior'.

But every year a few players in Louisville are targeted as the guy who ought to be on he big club in place of (insert other players name). We read 'why is X on the team when Y is wasting away in Louisville'. Some years its Chris Denorfia, other years its Eric Dickerson while others its a Homer Baily.

Right now its simply Maloneys turn and the chatter regarding him has definatley been on the uptick reciently whether you've noticed it or not.

I think its great that he's getting his shot and for his sake and ours I hope he does well. I also welcome the FO's willingness to try something new.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    You are correct...nobody has typed the exact words 'We need MM to contend' or 'Matt is our savior'.

But every year a few players in Louisville are targeted as the guy who ought to be on he big club in place of (insert other players name). We read 'why is X on the team when Y is wasting away in Louisville'. Some years its Chris Denorfia, other years its Eric Dickerson while others its a Homer Baily.

Right now its simply Maloneys turn and the chatter regarding him has definatley been on the uptick reciently whether you've noticed it or not.

I think its great that he's getting his shot and for his sake and ours I hope he does well. I also welcome the FO's willingness to try something new.
    I don't think Eric Dickerson could ever have helped the Reds. The Bengals maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I don't think Eric Dickerson could ever have helped the Reds. The Bengals maybe.
    Thats how crazy things can get when the Reds are struggling and people are clammoring for kids in Louisville. They'll target anybody!

My bad.

Seems to me that it is nothing more than a "AAA" pitcher, performing well and because of injuries, getting his chance to make an impression at the big league level. Happens all over the big leagues every year. Anything more than that is just fan hype at this point. I hope he does well. If he doesn't, someone else will get a chance. It's called making the most of your opportunities. Some take advantage. Some don't.

Maloney probably gives the Reds the best chance to win Saturday. His walk rate has been insane so in the very least you'd expect him to pass the requisite command threshold.

His schedule aligns as well.

The Cubbies don't feast on lefties but lefties aren't kryptonite for them either.

In the grand scheme of things this wasn't a decision of tremendous import.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    Jamie Moyer is the greatest pitcher in baseball history, IMO
    Funny Princeton! He is under-appreciated though!

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Funny Princeton!

dead serious. the guy's the best ever. he knows and executes pitching better than anyone I've ever seen.

dead serious. the guy's the best ever. he knows and executes pitching better than anyone I've ever seen.
    He's the Slim Sallee of our lifetime!!

He's in definite contention for the guy who has done the most with the least...but that's a bit much princeton. Wayyyyyy too much. To each his own however.

In the context of getting the most of his stuff, and knowing the craft of pitching, as opposed to just rearin' back and blowing guys away, I'm inclined to agree. When you talk about a guy learning the art of pitching Moyer is the perfect example.

Turn Off Ads?