Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ice Road Truckers

Re: Ice Road Truckers

Yeah Rick definitely tore up some equipment last year, and the problem got worse when he was put on trash duty. I doubt Rick would have gotten through all the hurdles Alex and Hugh had to do to get on the road. He definitely would not have the patience for it.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Yeah Rick definitely tore up some equipment last year, and the problem got worse when he was put on trash duty. I doubt Rick would have gotten through all the hurdles Alex and Hugh had to do to get on the road. He definitely would not have the patience for it.
    I was watching the latest episode last night and thought the same. Rick never would have passed those test that are required in Alaska. High and Rick both said they were very strict test.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I haven't watched all the episodes but have they shown or addressed just how many trucks have fallen thru the ice?? Did the trucks fall all the way thru to the bottom of the ocean or just partially thru?? Did the drivers get out or is it even possible for the drivers to get out once the truck starts to drop thru the ice??

I can't imagine the cost of insurance the company must pay.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I haven't watched all the episodes but have they shown or addressed just how many trucks have fallen thru the ice?? Did the trucks fall all the way thru to the bottom of the ocean or just partially thru?? Did the drivers get out or is it even possible for the drivers to get out once the truck starts to drop thru the ice??

I have read that on the modern ice roads in Canada that no trucker has lost his life due to falling through the ice. The modern ice roads are considered from 1980 forward. There were a lot fatalities before that though. There have been some fatalities from the folks that prepare the ice roads for the trucks. I think last season it was mentioned that someone grading on the ice fell through on a thin point and died. Getting the road ready to drive on seems to me a much more dangerous job than even driving on them after they are fairly safe. I wouldn't mind if they did a few shows about those guys that get the roads ready.
    They did show a truck partially gone through the ice but the driver was able to get out safely last season. I have also read that the folks in Inuvik Canada didn't like how the History Channel portrayed the ice roads as being so dangerous. In fact they said they wouldn't let the HIstory Channel come back for another season they were so upset about it. BTW,Inuvik was the first season of this show.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

They mention it occasionally, but it seems like its a rare occurrence with all the safety precautions they take. The scenes of trucks going through the ice they use in the show are computer generated.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Ok, I've gotten back into season 3. Not sure why. I like that the road this year is actually a road and not much ice. Something different. I think the season is actually over but I'm catching the re-runs now.

Not sure why it's so compelling but I'm hooked. Having a roster of competent drivers instead of Drewsche and that goofy Rick guy helps a lot. It's all back to the trucking now. Lot's of technical stuff too about the mechanics of driving the rigs. I really dig that.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 08-26-2009 at 06:56 PM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Ok, I've gotten back into season 3. Not sure why. I like that the road this year is actually a road and not much ice. Something different. I think the season is actually over but I'm catching the re-runs now.

Not sure why it's so compelling but I'm hooked. Having a roster of competent drivers instead of Drewsche and that goofy Rick guy helps a lot. It's all back to the trucking now. Lot's of technical stuff too about the mechanics of driving the rigs. I really dig that.
    I liked the first two seasons but this season has kind of lost me. I think the truckers this year save for Alex and Hugh have no personality. The guy Jack has the personality of a box imo. I think they have also leaned too much on Lisa, atleast Rick and Drew made things interesting.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I liked the first two seasons but this season has kind of lost me. I think the truckers this year save for Alex and Hugh have no personality. The guy Jack has the personality of a box imo. I think they have also leaned too much on Lisa, atleast Rick and Drew made things interesting.
    That's the reason they had to go out and get Alex and Hugh. When they started filming this years shows in Alaska they had no intention of using any of the Canadien guys. But they found out quickly the truckers on this road didn't have much personality and had to bring in Hugh and Alex. I enjoyed this years better than last years. Last year I thought it got a little soap operaish with Drew and Rick. I guess I like just pure driving part and how they accomplish what they do. A personality helps but the silliness that went on with Rick and Drew just wasn't my cup of tea.
    I really wouldn't mind if they did another season in Alaska. I thought that road was even more challenging than the ones in Canada.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I watched a couple episodes of the first season and kind of lost interest. I guess after you drive all day the last thing you want to watch is people driving around.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

Cincinnati's premiere expedited trucking company

Turn Off Ads?