Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto to the DL; Castillo recalled

Votto to the DL; Castillo recalled

Per Fay ...

1B Joey Votto today went on the 15-day disabled list with stress-related issues...his spot on the roster was filled by C/IF/OF Wilkin Castillo, who was recalled from Class AAA Louisville.

Castillo is in his second stint with the Reds this season...he was on the roster Sunday and Monday but did not play in either game.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

Re: Votto to the DL; Castillo recalled

Votto's problems can't just be an ear infection. Anti-biotics would have cleared that up by now.

Seriously, Wilkin Castillo? He of the .506 OPS in Triple-A? If the Reds are serious at all about staying in the race, they will find a better option than Wilkin Castillo.

Ramon Hernandez is a fine hitter for a catcher, but he doesn't have the bat to play first base for a month. I would bring up Yonder Alonso OR acquire a guy like Russell Branyan.

"Stress-related issues"

Votto for Castillo is not exactly an even up trade but I am glad they're resting Votto to see where his health goes.

It seems like they're rushing Phillips back. I see no reason to make him tough out a broken thumb. It's still May. Let him heal it up and we'll see him when he's healthy. We have plenty of capable folks who can play 2B.

These injuries do make it tough while we're going through this stretch against division contenders. Seems like now we need to just hang in there 'till folks get back. A 3-4 record in this 7 game stretch is looking like a huge moral victory

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I like bringing up Castillo IF and I say IF this means that Hanigan can be used off the bench as a PH when Hernandez is behind the plate.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Wouldn't be suprised to see Gomes play some first base now. A lefty would be better but Gomes can hit and helps add back some power. Obviously, Votto can't really be replaced in this organization right now. Castillo will provide flexibility because he can play so many positions.

As for Votto, just have to hope he gets better soon.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-30-2009 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Votto's problems can't just be an ear infection. Anti-biotics would have cleared that up by now.
    I'm not convinced they have the right diagnosis yet and that bothers me but if it's viral, antibiotics wouldn't have it cleared up by now anyway. They need to get him in to see a good ear, nose and throat guy.

The possibility of not getting this thing correctly diagnosed was my greatest fear all along.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm not convinced they have the right diagnosis yet and that bothers me but if it's viral, antibiotics wouldn't have it cleared up by now anyway. They need to get him in to see a good ear, nose and throat guy.

The possibility of not getting this thing correctly diagnosed was my greatest fear all along.
    It says stress-related issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    It says stress-related issues.
    Yeah I know. That's like saying something is auto-immune. It means they don't know, which is my point.

What does that mean to you? I doubt a sports psychologist can heal him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Yeah I know. That's like saying something is auto-immune. It means they don't know, which is my point.

What does that mean to you? I doubt a sports psychologist can heal him.
    I don't take the words to mean "we don't know." I take the words to mean what they say -- the team apparently believes the issue to be "stress" related, which is extremely broad, true, but provides a general description.

Whatever the specifics, it's really Votto's business, and I just hope it is not too serious and he gets better soon. Seems like a great young man and a fabulous ballplayer.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-30-2009 at 02:35 PM.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jocketty signed Edmonds to platoon with Gomes at 1B while Votto is out.

08 Vs. LHP

.250 .362 .521 .883

Career Vs. LHP

.296 .393 .562 .954
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to think the Reds somehow ticked off the baseball Gods. For the first time in a decade the Reds actually have enough talent to stay in the race through the summer, and now their top players are dropping like flies. EdE, Volquez, Votto, Phillips...

Before we all go jumping off a bridge, maybe we're reading too much into it. Its possible he has an inner ear infection that was aggravated by the plane flights. Its also possible that it could take a long time for that to go away and when the symptoms are under control he could still play.

Maybe Votto is stressed by the back and forth nature of it all and requested a DL stint until he's better. Maybe that is all that "stressed related issues" is referring to.

The Reds, unfortunately, lose their best player in such an important stretch of games and we all hope that Castillo is only up until some one else can be brought in, but this does not necessarily mean that Votto's situation is any different than we thought it was a couple of days ago.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Boy, the offense looks bad without Votto.

Without him, there are only two guys with more then 100 PA's that have an OBP over .337 (Dickerson .365 & Hernandez .364).

Games should be faster though.

Turn Off Ads?