Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Wilkin Castillo Optioned to AAA, Maloney Called up

Wilkin Castillo Optioned to AAA, Maloney Called up

Reds today also optioned C/If/Of Wilkin Castillo back to Triple-A Louisville, with Matt Maloney coming up to pitch tonight.
    I'm going to have to check this, but I assume this means we are carrying 13 pitchers. Not to mention the fact Taveras has been unavailable, so we have a very short bench.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wilkin Castillo Optioned to AAA, Maloney Called up

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I'm going to have to check this, but I assume this means we are carrying 13 pitchers. Not to mention the fact Taveras has been unavailable, so we have a very short bench.
    Taveras can pinch hit. So it's not an unavailable slot.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Reds now have 13 pitchers. IMO the implication of this move is that Maloney may be going back to AAA after tonight's game. Reds will then again have 12 pitchers, although 8 will be relievers. Another position player would be added when Maloney goes down, perhaps Stubbs with Taveras ailing.

I hope this is wrong because I'd like Maloney to get some chances.

The explanation could be the off day Monday. With that off day the Reds don't need a fifth starter again until next Saturday at Kansas City. They would not be able to bring Maloney back, since ten days wouldn't have elapsed, but they could bring up Homer to pitch that game.

The other possibility is that the Reds will just watch Maloney tonight and, if he does well, drop a reliever tomorrow and bring up a position player. So they may just be waiting to see how Maloney looks before sending a pitcher out.

If Taveras is still below par, team has a three man bench for tonight's game. I guess four if Owings is viewed as a pinch hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Taveras can pinch hit. So it's not an unavailable slot.
    I'm sure he is hurt, but Dickerson has taken his job IMO.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds now have 13 pitchers. IMO the implication of this move is that Maloney may be going back to AAA after tonight's game. Reds will then again have 12 pitchers, although 8 will be relievers. Another position player would be added when Maloney goes down, perhaps Stubbs with Taveras ailing.

I hope this is wrong because I'd like Maloney to get some chances.

The explanation could be the off day Monday. With that off day the Reds don't need a fifth starter again until next Saturday at Kansas City. They would not be able to bring Maloney back, since ten days wouldn't have elapsed, but they could bring up Homer to pitch that game.

The other possibility is that the Reds will just watch Maloney tonight and, if he does well, drop a reliever tomorrow and bring up a position player. So they may just be waiting to see how Maloney looks before sending a pitcher out.

With Taveras below par, team has a three man bench for tonight's game. I guess four if Owings is viewed as a pinch hitter.
    There's always the option of sending Maloney down after tonight, calling up Stubbs tomorrow, and then putting Taveras/somebody else on the DL with an "injury" on Saturday and bringing Maloney back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I'm sure he is hurt, but Dickerson has taken his job IMO.
    Even more of a reason to put him on the DL with a case of bad.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    There's always the option of sending Maloney down after tonight, calling up Stubbs tomorrow, and then putting Taveras/somebody else on the DL with an "injury" on Saturday and bringing Maloney back then.

Even more of a reason to put him on the DL with a case of bad.
    If Taveras is hurt, I'd doubt that they will wait until next weekend to deal with it. Presumably they are sick of playing shorthanded. Of course, they can always come up with another injury to let Maloney come back sooner.

Just guessing here, but perhaps it is a function of Bailey's good outing at AAA last week. He pitched 8 great innings. With all the time invested in Bailey and the high expectations, maybe they have decided Maloney goes tonight but Bailey goes next Saturday.

Whatever, I would like to see Maloney get a true shot and this player move suggests he may not.

Burton is probably going to be optioned.

....And the Reds could be protecting their backside in case Maloney has an early exit tonight. I wouldn't be surprised if Fisher or Burton goes back to AAA after the game tonight.

The Reds are going with 13 pitchers because they just don't hve enough position players available to add any more. With EdE and Votto out, Rosales, Gomes and Nix who were basically this team's plan for depth are already on the roster.

Some want Yonder though he's only recently started off in AA, other want youngsters who don't need to be on the 40 man yet. That burns option years sooner than necessary and requires they stay on the 40 man over the winter when its more important to have those slot available. IMO, the Reds need to add a journeyman type either from the waiver wire or some one who is hot right now from the players in the system not on the 40 man.

Three best possibilities IMO:

1. EdE goes on a rehab and is back in a few days.
    2. Danny Richar is 7 for 12 with 2 doubles and a homer in his last 3 games and as a LH would give the team a LH bench bat while Dickerson and Nix are both starting. Add him.
    3. David Dellucci DFA'd in Cleveland.

As for how to make room:

1. Bill Bray 60 day DL
    2. Sam Lecure DFA
    3. Craig Tatum DFA
    4. Daryl Thompson 60 Day DL??
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?