Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sammy Sosa to retire

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Sammy Sosa to retire

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4229022

So, Hall of Famer or not?

And, how long until Barry Bonds announces his "retirement"?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sammy Sosa to retire

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4229022

So, Hall of Famer or not?

And, how long until Barry Bonds announces his "retirement"?
    Sosa's a tough case. He's almost certainly not going to get voted in, IMO. But where's the proof that he ever cheated? Do I, from a personal standpoint, remain highly suspicious of him? Yes, I do. But there is absolutely NO proof at all, not even shady proof, that he used steroids. So I find it kind of shocking that he's already assumed to be guilty. If I had a vote, I'd put him in.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Sosa wasn't already retired? I thought he was.

As for the hall...definite NO in my book. Steroids or no steroids...it's already proven he's a cheater. Ummm...I can't remember, what's that stuff they use to seal wine bottles again?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post

As for the hall...definite NO in my book. Steroids or no steroids...it's already proven he's a cheater. Ummm...I can't remember, what's that stuff they use to seal wine bottles again?
    Agree. He should be in the 'Hall of Shame' instead.

Rem

gasp swoon, he got caught corking one time.

guess we better not let anybody who got caught cheating in. Like Gaylord Perry or Phil Neikro
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post

He had been still trying to find work the last few years.

I have not decided if he should be in or not, but I agree with you he probably will not.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

A class of players from a tainted generation will soon be eligible. The Hall is going to need to set up some ground rules.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I'd have to really look over his career numbers, but as a Cubs hater, I hope he doesn't make it.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

guess we better not let anybody who got caught cheating in. Like Gaylord Perry or Phil Neikro
    I am 100% behind you here. I don't condone what any of the players did who used steroids. But it is an ENTIRE ERA, literally. I'm not exaggerating that. An entire ERA! I mean, think about that for a second. You have to let them in. As I've said before, build a 'Roids wing for all I care. But they have to do something.

I thought he was retired? I think eventually most of these steriod guys will get in but they may have to wait a while. The writers who vote on this will find it hard to keep so many out all the while knowing most players from the early 90's to the early 2000's probably at least tried something.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Key word there is "caught" in my mind. And while we're on it, if breaking the rules keeps you out of the Hall like they say with Rose, then yes...keep out all the rule breakers. Or ignore that garbage and induct players on thier stats...period. Hall of Fame will always be a joke in my eyes when the all time hits leader isn't in there. But that's me.

When was Phil Niekro caught? His brother Joe was caught scuffing baseballs but I don't remember Phil being caught doing that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Occam's Razor say "Sammy's bad complexion not from him eating chocolate"

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    When was Phil Niekro caught? His brother Joe was caught scuffing baseballs but I don't remember Phil being caught doing that.
    Perry was, and he's in the Hall.

I'm sure woy could provide a better list.

It's supposed to be the Hall of Fame. Sammy had Fame.

Rose had Fame, but the Hall, not baseball changed it's eligibility rules. I wish people would start getting that right.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Rose had Fame, but the Hall, not baseball changed it's eligibility rules. I wish people would start getting that right.
    Yeah, I knew that. Doesn't change my opinion on it though. It should be about stats...not character or lack thereof.

Turn Off Ads?