Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: When Do You Consider Demoting Jay Bruce?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

When Do You Consider Demoting Jay Bruce?

He's absolutely lost at the plate, has been for the last month and I'm not sure he's getting the coaching he needs in Cincy. Do we wait until the average dips below the Mendoza Line? Or is it simply something that's just not in the cards? Do you start bringing him off the bench?

I'm not the one being paid to make these decisions but, if I was, I'd be in favor of a short trip to Luh-a-vuhl.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: When Do You Consider Demoting Jay Bruce?

I don't even consider it until after this road trip. If after Washington and KC he is below .200 I consider it.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

It's no option at all. There's no one else to stick in there. The guys already on this roster aren't MLB-caliber everyday players. You just have to let him work his way out of it.

I think hes MLB ready as hes gonna be. Sending him to AAA is just going to tell us he can crush AAA pitching again.

When you are ready to give up on this season and prove to yourself that he can destroy AAA pitchers. He needs big league experience, demoting him won't solve the problem and it takes off the most talented player on the team. I would consider sitting him more and only playing him 2 out of 3 games for some time so he can cool his head and relax a little.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Just my thoughts but to say he is lost is really not watching closely enough. He had 4 great at bats last night. He's hitting a lot of balls in play hard that are right at people or miss leaving the yard by 5 feet.

Who do you want as his every day replacement? Darnell Mcdonald? Johnny Gomes? And outfield of Taveras, Nix, and Dickerson? You send down Bruce you start really messing with his confidence.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Just my thoughts but to say he is lost is really not watching closely enough. He had 4 great at bats last night. He's hitting a lot of balls in play hard that are right at people or miss leaving the yard by 5 feet.

Who do you want as his every day replacement? Darnell Mcdonald? Johnny Gomes? And outfield of Taveras, Nix, and Dickerson? You send down Bruce you start really messing with his confidence.
    Honestly, I'm probably the 2nd biggest Jay Bruce fan here, 2nd only to you. But we all have to admit he's not right at this point.

I don't know who you replace him with. We're in a bad spot. The original post, however, was written with his long-term future in mind. I just don't think we have enough offense to win this year.

Maybe if he'd stop trying to hit a 5 run homer every time up. Maybe if he'd just start taking what he is given. Whatever, for a kid with his talent to be flirting with the Mendosa line in this ballpark is rediculous. Maybe the guy just isn't very bright. And to think a year ago I would not have traded him for Longoria even up. Ouch!

Start sitting him against left handers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Maybe if he'd stop trying to hit a 5 run homer every time up. Maybe if he'd just start taking what he is given. Whatever, for a kid with his talent to be flirting with the Mendosa line in this ballpark is rediculous. Maybe the guy just isn't very bright. And to think a year ago I would not have traded him for Longoria even up. Ouch!

Start sitting him against left handers.
    I think the problem is his approach. He's up there to HIT instead of being up there to be a HITTER. Big difference. It's a mental craft. He's got all the talent in the world and it frustrates me to see him struggle so badly.

Never

It appears Bruce is the left-handed hitting twin of Austin Kearns. The numbers are starting to look the same.

I think they could try platooning him. If he only saw righty pitching for a little while he might get his groove and confidence back. Even a few really good LH hitters (like Willy McCovey) platooned for their first 2-3 seasons. What would their rotation be if he was being platooned?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    He's absolutely lost at the plate, has been for the last month and I'm not sure he's getting the coaching he needs in Cincy. Do we wait until the average dips below the Mendoza Line? Or is it simply something that's just not in the cards? Do you start bringing him off the bench?

I'm not the one being paid to make these decisions but, if I was, I'd be in favor of a short trip to Luh-a-vuhl.
    Not this year. If we are going to stay in this he HAS to be part of it. Plus it's not like he was having an "okay" year in da Ville when he got called up last year. Sending him down wouldn't do anything for him. If/When Tavares gets healthy or he goes to the DL (call up a OF), give Bruce a few days off to just get his head back on straight and see if that helps like it did Dickerson. He's never going to learn to hit major league pitching at AAA, he needs to learn and make adjustments in Nati not Da Ville. Plus he's had a bit of bad luck, a few hard hit balls right at someone.

I wouldnt platoon him (unless its like September and were still in the thick of it) for the same reasons. He won't learn how to hit unless he's thrown into the wolves den, tossed a sword and shield (bat and helmet) and told fend for yourself. He's 22 not like he' Tavares' service time where we can be pretty certain of production. Again he is a big part of the present and future he's gotta learn how to hit MLB pitching in the majors you can't do that at AAA.
    Last edited by Slyder; 06-07-2009 at 12:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Roush's socks View Post
    Even a few really good LH hitters (like Willy McCovey) platooned for their first 2-3 seasons.
    Good point and i agree Bruce should sit more against good lefties.

Of course when McCovey sat, the Giants were "forced" to play an outfield of Felipe Alou, Willie Mays, and Jackie Brandt or leon Wagner , with Orlando Cepeda at first base.

Quote Originally Posted by Roush's socks View Post
    I think they could try platooning him. If he only saw righty pitching for a little while he might get his groove and confidence back. Even a few really good LH hitters (like Willy McCovey) platooned for their first 2-3 seasons. What would their rotation be if he was being platooned?
    And there were those who wanted Chipper Jones to give up switch hitting early on too. The Braves and Jones didnt listen and Jones worked through it and worked out pretty well I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Turn Off Ads?