Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Matt Maloney or Micah Owings for the 5 spot?

Matt Maloney or Micah Owings for the 5 spot?

I know that Matt's only pitched 1 game at the Show, but do you believe he gives the Reds a better chance to win in the 5 spot than Owings does? Should he replace Owings in the rotation? Should Owings become the long man?

What say you?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Matt Maloney or Micah Owings for the 5 spot?

Too soon for this IMO. Lets see if Volquez can return. After this stint he will have been on the DL for about a month so he'll need a rehab and a time to reprove himself. After that some one else may need to be sidelined. Maloney should get 3 or 4 starts before a decision is necessary. Owings pitched well on Friday too. Hard to tell anything from one start. Its good he wasn't rocked though.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

It's going to be hard to unseat Owings because of the value his bat brings as a PH. I'm just not sure how that would work if he was coming out of the pen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I like what Owings has done, Maloney should go back down once Volquez has completed his rehab, we need pitchers on stand by and it gives the Reds chips at the poker table.

Maloney should be pitching for the Reds whether it be in the rotation or in the pen.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

A lot of guys come up from AAA and have 1 or 2 good starts. Let's wait to see some more results before we crown him a starter.

I haven't been disappointed in Owings at all this season and feel like he's a very capable 5th starter but at the same time if there's a better option then I'd be all for it especially if it's a left handed option. Maloney looked pretty good last night though alot of it was kind've a tight rope act.

One thing I've never understood is the whole idea that Owings has this big edge because of his bat. While it IS an edge and kinda exciting to see him come up there for some reason the reality is that you have to look at the pitching aspect first.

you need several starters to compete and all the contenders have guys they can turn to in AAA, it wont kill Maloney to stay in AAA with Homer on a regular rotation until needed, he's on the 40 and just a phone call away

It's really not an either/or proposition. You need at least 6 starters to be a contender with injuries. So if Maloney pitches well consistently, he'll get his chances and then allow the Reds to possibly trade someone in the offseason. This of course is a big if based on 1 ONE 1 start--IIRC Tim Pugh pitched a one-hitter at one point, so let's just hope that Maloney pitches well his next time out.

what I will say for Maloney is that he has an out pitch. His changeup is top notch.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    It's really not an either/or proposition. You need at least 6 starters to be a contender with injuries. So if Maloney pitches well consistently, he'll get his chances and then allow the Reds to possibly trade someone in the offseason. This of course is a big if based on 1 ONE 1 start--IIRC Tim Pugh pitched a one-hitter at one point, so let's just hope that Maloney pitches well his next time out.
    I agree. The fifth starter spot always has issues, with someone coming or going.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    It's going to be hard to unseat Owings because of the value his bat brings as a PH. I'm just not sure how that would work if he was coming out of the pen.
    Send Lincoln down and put Owings in the pen

I've lost track- what do they have now, 13 pitchers?
    I think Owings is becoming a #5 guy. Or, he could be a long reliever, although I'm starting to think maybe that Lincoln or Burton are coming around a little bit to fill that role. At the same time, if I were to bring Maloney up, it would be in the pen, however at this point I don't know if they have room for him, so it seems prudent to send him back to AAA so he will keep getting innings.

He and Owings seem equal to me, so let's say the Reds are hanging around in a month. I don't think I'd mind parting with him or Maloney if it means they are bringing in some more run production, but my guess is Owings' stock might be higher.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?