Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Votto won't be ready when he comes off DL

Votto won't be ready when he comes off DL

According to CBSportsline, Joey Votto is dealing with a personal issue that he has asked the Reds to keep private. The website also said he would not be ready to play when he returns from the DL. Perhaps a rehab assignment is in order.

Anyone starting to worry more than just a little bit?
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votto won't be ready when he comes off DL

From CBSportsline:

News: Reds 1B Joey Votto, who's on the DL because of "stress-related issues," won't be ready to return when eligible June 14, according to MLB.com. "Probably not," said manager Dusty Baker. "We're not there yet." Votto is dealing with a personal issue that he's asked the Reds to keep private, but he showed up to the ballpark in street clothes Friday. "He hasn't hit in a while," Baker said. "He's a natural, but he's not that natural. There's no indication on when he'll be doing any baseball activity. I wish I had more to tell you, but I don't."

I think when he does do a rehab, he should do it in Dayton. They have such problems getting people to go to games up there so it may be a nice attendance jump for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

This stress thing just has me wondering what's going on and how big the problem is. When he isn't feeling dizzy, he hasn't missed a beat yet it's troublesome enough for him to shut it down. I just hope he can deal with whatever he's going through and this thing don't become bigger than it already is.

Does this mean he is going to go to rehab on June 14 or that he isn't ready and when he is at a later date, he'll go to rehab.

I would say something else about this topic, but I'd come off as harsh and unfeeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Does this mean he is going to go to rehab on June 14 or that he isn't ready and when he is at a later date, he'll go to rehab.

I would say something else about this topic, but I'd come off as harsh and unfeeling.
    somebody has to do it.....I love me some Joey Votto...BUT...you or I can't opt out of work for any extended period of time stating a personal problem(again admitting we have no idea what he's dealing with here)and expect to keep getting paid and/or still have a job when we return.

If I could give Votto any advice upon his return it would be to go all Lyman Bostock and give back his salary(maybe to charity)for this period of time he has been out.

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    If I could give Votto any advice upon his return it would be to go all Lyman Bostock and give back his salary(maybe to charity)for this period of time he has been out.
    Yeah right. Try and get that one past the MLBPA.

somebody has to do it.....I love me some Joey Votto...BUT...you or I can't opt out of work for any extended period of time stating a personal problem(again admitting we have no idea what he's dealing with here)and expect to keep getting paid and/or still have a job when we return.

Then the Reds should replace him with someone who can show up to work every day, right?

The difference is, you and I have replaceable skills. If I left, they could hire a temp to do my job. After a day or so of training, they would be O.K. These guys - especially Votto - don't have replaceable skils. They can't just hire some temp and have him come in there and produce like Votto can.

Another difference is that if you or I left our job and were hired by another company, we wouldn't necessarily be in a position to hurt our former company. If the Reds let Votto go, 29 other teams would want to snatch him up in an instant and then he would be in a position to hurt the reds since he would play against them.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Sports and the private working sector are two seperate entities. We have short term and long term disability insurances and so forth. They have a contract and I'm sure a player's contract is quite lengthy and covers a lot of situations.

I look at this with more concern than anything else. He's a great young talent who works hard and is a leader by example on and off the field, by all accounts.

Pretty harsh advice, I hope you never have any personal issues that make life/work hard.

Not to take this thread in the wrong direction, but can I just mention that I hate the culture (or lack thereof) around work leave that we have in this country?

I hope Joey feels better soon and that he comes back as good as new. We're all pulling for him.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

To be fair, all indications are he's told the Reds what the problem is. He has just asked them to keep it private.

So it's not like he's skipping out on work without telling the boss what's going on.

If anyone thinks that Votto should suck it up then I suggest you read up on Tony Horton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Ho...seball_player)
    Last edited by ochre; 06-07-2009 at 03:07 PM. Reason: fixed link

I read Dusty's comment as encouraging. He didn't say Votto needs very extensive time off. He said, as I understand it, that Votto will need some rehab time after his DL stay because he has stopped all baseball activities.

Optimistically, Votto becomes available in mid-June, but heads for several days of rehab at that time.

If that's what happens, it's not too bad.

Young guys have personal issues that affect them. Whether its a family issue or something like Greinke's you have to stay with them. What if the Royals had packaged Greinke off? What if they had gone all hard line on him? Let the Reds deal compassionately and privately with Joey's problem, whatever it is. Baseball, in the final analysis, IS just a game. This must be something that is really affecting this young man's life. Do the right thing by Joey and that, in reality, is doing the right thing by the Reds, too, long term.

Turn Off Ads?