Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Reds babying Joey Votto?

Are the Reds babying Joey Votto?

Joey's Dad passed away last summer I believe?

I agree that a person's well-being (physical, mental, and emotional) is far more important than any stupid game.

That's why they should let him take as much time as he needs, without pay.

Brett Favre lost his father and then came out and threw for almost 400 yards. Life is pain...anyone who tells you differently is selling something.

If he is missing time because of losing his Dad at this point, then they need to take away the paychecks. Think about it. What if you called your employer Monday and told him you "won't be in to work for the next month or so because your Dad died last summer."

Maybe you have a special employer like Votto does that would pay you whether you worked or not, but for most of us "that dog would not hunt."

Suck it up, Joey. We all lose people we love. It is the cycle of life, and death is one of the few guarantees of life.

It sounds cold, but taking the paycheck away has a funny way of bringing people back to reality.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Are the Reds babying Joey Votto?

I think a clear definition by the FO is in order along with an ETA on his return.

It's a personal issue that he's told the team and FO about, and ASKED THEM TO KEEP PRIVATE.

Get over it.

It's none of your darn business.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

I understand the right for privacy, to a point. But, players are somewhat public figures, due to the fact that their salaries are fan/attendance related. Therefore, fans have a right to know SOMETHING as to why one of their biggest stars isn't playing, IMO.

None of us on here knows a darn thing about Votto's personal situation, and if we do we are not sharing it per his wishes. This thread disgusts me.

Joey's personal situation is just that, it's personal. And he's asked the Reds not to make it public. As fans of the Reds and Votto, we should respect his privacy and give him the benefit of the doubt. Do people really think that he is missing games for a non-serious reason? Does he really strike you as that kind of player?

I doubt if any of this has to do with his father's passing last August. If it did, do you really think he would've batted .309 with 9HRs and 20 RBIs last September and put up the numbers he has so far this season?

I believe it's something much more serious. The Reds and Votto do not owe me any explanation.

Joey.... take care of yourself and get back to us as soon as you can.

If it's a personal issue, fine, I respect that. But the Reds have a history of misdiagnoing things. They might be using the ''stressed'' excuse to buy time to find out what's wrong with him.
    PROVE ME WRONG, REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AND THEY DID!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fon Duc Tow View Post

I agree that a person's well-being (physical, mental, and emotional) is far more important than any stupid game.

Brett Favre lost his father and then came out and threw for almost 400 yards. Life is pain...anyone who tells you differently is selling something.

If he is missing time because of losing his Dad at this point, then they need to take away the paychecks. Think about it. What if you called your employer Monday and told him you "won't be in to work for the next month or so because your Dad died last summer."

Maybe you have a special employer like Votto does that would pay you whether you worked or not, but for most of us "that dog would not hunt."

Suck it up, Joey. We all lose people we love. It is the cycle of life, and death is one of the few guarantees of life.

It sounds cold, but taking the paycheck away has a funny way of bringing people back to reality.
    You would NEVER win that PR war.

You would alienate any fan that has ever had anything remotely close to that happen to their family.

You would alienate Votto.

You would alienate anyone currently on the team that were friends of Votto or knew of the situation.

You would be cold, unfeeling, uncaring among other things as other teams would spin this to their advantage with the few Free Agents in which we compete for.

You go all hardcore on Votto and I can guarentee you, you would lose more than just ball games.

Give Votto some space, you ever think maybe just maybe his mom might be real sick right now and wants to be there to help?
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyGears76 View Post
    I believe it's something much more serious.
    I agree.

The Reds and Votto do not owe me any explanation.
    Votto owes Baker an explanation, who in turn owes Jockerty an explanation, who in turn owes Castellini an explanation, who in turn owes each of us an explanation. Celebs always forget that a big reason their salaries are so huge is because of their loss of privacy. Fans pay quite the premium for it too.

Votto isn't doing anything wrong in my opinion. But if ownership is holding out info out of respect for Votto, then I'll have to hold out from buying any more tickets out of respect for the fact that us fans are not important enough to be kept abreast of the situation.

Joey.... take care of yourself and get back to us as soon as you can.
    Amen.

Votto owes Baker an explanation, who in turn owes Jockerty an explanation, who in turn owes Castellini an explanation, who in turn owes each of us an explanation. Celebs always forget that a big reason their salaries are so huge is because of their loss of privacy. Fans pay quite the premium for it too.

Votto isn't doing anything wrong in my opinion. But if ownership is holding out info out of respect for Votto, then I'll have to hold out from buying any more tickets out of respect for the fact that us fans are not important enough to be kept abreast of the situation.
    They dont owe us jack. It doesnt affect our daily lives: Whether or not we pay or listen, it wont affect us buying that Jay Bruce, Joey Votto, Edison Volquez replica jersey. It wont keep us from going to the ballpark and paying 6 bucks for a pepsi. Thats ur choice, apparently youve never had anyone work under you if you did you would realize theres more to it than this.

Joey told the Reds what was up get off his back. He asked the Reds to keep it quiet which theyve obligued. I hope youre never in this type of situation.
    Last edited by Slyder; 06-07-2009 at 12:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

If Joey's problem is what I think it is, there is "no" sucking it up. It will take time and patience. It is one of those things where no one truly understands unless you have experienced the problem.
    As far as the paychecks......I am sure that is the least of Joey's thinking right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    You would NEVER win that PR war.

You would alienate any fan that has ever had anything remotely close to that happen to their family.

You would alienate Votto.

You would alienate anyone currently on the team that were friends of Votto or knew of the situation.

You would be cold, unfeeling, uncaring among other things as other teams would spin this to their advantage with the few Free Agents in which we compete for.

You go all hardcore on Votto and I can guarentee you, you would lose more than just ball games.

Give Votto some space, you ever think maybe just maybe his mom might be real sick right now and wants to be there to help?
    I agree with you that everyone and the media should give Votto his space and time away from the game to get things straightened out.

However, I know that if I needed to take time away from my work for personal reasons possibly similar to this situation it would be without pay and I could only be gone for a set time before they required me to return.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    It's a personal issue that he's told the team and FO about, and ASKED THEM TO KEEP PRIVATE.

Get over it.

It's none of your darn business.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    +1

It is laughable to me that people here are speculating it has anything to do with his father passing. It doesn't. Why are people making that correlation?

If you don't know 100% what it is and you haven't been through it, it's best not to just say 'suck it up'. If the guy has a chemical imbalance, he's not able to 'suck it up'. It's not that simple.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

This entire thread is absurd. The "we're entitled to everything," and "Joey is not entitled to take off the time that is necessary to address his personal issues" vibe is just disgusting.

In his time as a Red, if nothing else, it's clear that Joey is a gamer - he wants to be out there, and he wants to improve. Clearly something serious is keeping him off the field. Everyone needs to just respect that and stop demanding answers.

Its gonna get to a point where Joey will owe the fans at least some info. Can't expect us to sit back and just cheer for a guy who doesnt seem to talk about when hes going bad.

Turn Off Ads?