Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yanks to Be First With Streaming in Home Market

Yanks to Be First With Streaming in Home Market

Technology is a crazy tool for the fan of today compared to my youth.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/07/sp...gewanted=print

Yankees fans will soon be the first in baseball to buy games streamed on broadband to computers and wireless devices within the team’s local market, according to executives briefed on the pending deal but not authorized to speak publicly about it.

The agreement between the Yankees’ YES Network and Major League Baseball ends a logjam that has prevented teams from making their games available on the Internet within their designated markets. Some teams have wanted to do it, but financial arrangements between them and baseball could not be reached.

Teams stand to gain a new source of revenue, from the millions of broadband users around the country who are not sitting in front of their televisions but are in offices and other locations with a laptop or a wireless device.

The New York market is obviously tantalizing financially for the already hugely successful YES network, but could bring added revenue to other teams. YES’s territory includes 7.5 million households throughout New York City, Long Island, large swaths of New Jersey, the Hudson Valley, Connecticut and parts of Pennsylvania.

Fans within the market can, of course, see Yankee games on YES or Channel 9.

But they have not been able to get them inside the market on MLB.tv, MLB.com’s broadband service, which carries live out-of-market games. The home teams’ games are blacked out locally to protect the rights of regional sports networks and TV stations.

The agreement between the Yankees’ YES Network and Major League Baseball Advanced Media, which controls the Internet rights of all 30 teams, will let fans inside the New York market buy a subscription to Yankees games. They will be able to watch on computers, laptops and other devices, giving the games a portability they have not had.

The first carrier to sign up is Cablevision, which will share revenue with YES and M.L.B.A.M. Fans can buy the in-market Yankee games only if they already subscribe to the expanded basic service on Cablevision that includes YES. The Yankees’ cable network is pursuing similar deals with other local cable operators, like Time Warner, and telecommunications services, like Verizon.

With the Yankees deal complete, other teams are expected to follow.

The Yankees’ service is supposed to start sometime this season and follows quickly on Cablevison’s recent renewal of its YES contract. A price was not available.

A YES spokesman declined to comment and M.L.B. executives were not available for comment. Jim Maiella, a Cablevision spokesman, said, “We have nothing to announce at this time, and we typically would not comment on this kind of offering until it was in front of our customers.” A Yankees spokesman did not return calls seeking a comment.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    High five!

Re: Yanks to Be First With Streaming in Home Market

Oh for the Reds to be able to do this!

What's the advantage to this? Giving us the Thursday afternoon games that FSN doesn't?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What's the advantage to this? Giving us the Thursday afternoon games that FSN doesn't?
    Being able to watch the game on a laptop when you are somewhere with internet access, but have no access to a tv?

High five!

If the Reds had this, it would mean I wouldn't have to have DirecTV.

The only reason I got a TV was to watch Reds games.

I sure hope this helps the Yankees add to their payroll.....

Time is the Revelator.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Oh for the Reds to be able to do this!

Yes, please.

Haunted by walks

A Yankees fan I know was excited about today's win and said, "This could really be our year!"

If you are in a hotel in Indy, Columbus, Louisville, Lexington, Lafayette, Evansville, Sidney , etc it's a crap shoot if the hotel package will have FSN. Some do, many do not. Consequently, those of us who travel don't get to see many Reds games when on the road.

Since nearly all hotels have high speed internet, you could still see the games while traveling with an MLB.tv with in-market games.

Huge advantage over FSN.

Wow, baseball makes another move out of the dark ages with media. What's next, the ridiculous blackout territories?

I watched the NBA Eastern Conference finals for free on yahoo, btw.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    If you are in a hotel in Indy, Columbus, Louisville, Lexington, Lafayette, Evansville, Sidney , etc it's a crap shoot if the hotel package will have FSN. Some do, many do not. Consequently, those of us who travel don't get to see many Reds games when on the road.

Since nearly all hotels have high speed internet, you could still see the games while traveling with an MLB.tv with in-market games.

Huge advantage over FSN.
    I'm sure you know but I've read about some hotels clamping down on internet streaming (particularly, Slingbox-ing) citing "bandwidth" concerns. That would suck for you being able to stream your Corey Patterson best plays reel "on demand."

Although I guess that wouldn't suck up too much bandwidth.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

So this means that an MLB.TV subscriber in the Yankees market area will have to pay YES to see Yankees games. I'd be furious if I was in that category.
    /r/reds

Haunted by walks

That would suck for you being able to stream your Corey Patterson best plays reel "on demand."

You'll want MiLB.com for that. I get to see him live here in Syracuse.

I'm sure you know but I've read about some hotels clamping down on internet streaming (particularly, Slingbox-ing) citing "bandwidth" concerns. That would suck for you being able to stream your Corey Patterson best plays reel "on demand."

Although I guess that wouldn't suck up too much bandwidth.

Yea, thank God you sent me that DVD you put together for Corey's highlights. The use of the soundtrack from Beaches in the background was amazing.

Turn Off Ads?