Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hit Leaders by Decade

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Hit Leaders by Decade

There is a hit number that still astonishes me: 3016.

3016 is the number of hits Hank Aaron had....if you subtract the 755 home runs he hit.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Seeing Ichiro's numbers I can't help think that he could have given Rose a run for the hit record...blasphemous, I know....
    3160 hits and counting. got a chance.

Ichiro has a great shot, he's only 35 and has always been in great shape. What if he wants (and is able) to play until he's 43 or 44? He could have a few more 200+ hit seasons and then a few slop 100-150 hit seasons when he's older and get there. Just depends on if he wants it I think, because I'd bet on him aging pretty well.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Ichiro has a great shot, he's only 35 and has always been in great shape. What if he wants (and is able) to play until he's 43 or 44? He could have a few more 200+ hit seasons and then a few slop 100-150 hit seasons when he's older and get there. Just depends on if he wants it I think, because I'd bet on him aging pretty well.
    You do realize he only has 1800 some hits in America...are we going to count Japan hits? I wouldn't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Having not gone off to fight WW II helped this somewhat no name accumulate so many hits.
    Bob, was pretty good.

Exempted from World War II military service due to head injuries from being hit by a pitch in 1943, Elliott was named to the NL All-Star team in 1941, 1942, 1944 and 1945, and finished among the top ten players in the MVP voting from 1942 through 1944,

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Princeton's post of "3160 and counting" was a little misleading. That's how many hits he needs before he catches Pete, not how many he already has. If he has 15 more 200 hit seasons he'll still fall short of Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Princeton's post of "3160 and counting" was a little misleading. That's how many hits he needs before he catches Pete, not how many he already has. If he has 15 more 200 hit seasons he'll still fall short of Pete.
    Not sure about that...Ichiro needs much less than that to catch Rose...I can't read minds but I think he was counting Japan hits...regardless it was misleading.

Princeton's post of "3160 and counting" was a little misleading. That's how many hits he needs before he catches Pete, not how many he already has.
    I'm counting his hits in Japan

only 35 years old...

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    These are NL/AL only....anyone play in both leagues during a decade that perhaps had more hits? (I checked Frank Rob, he was only at 1603 for the 60's)
    Ahh, that's an important distinction that I hadn't considered.

...and that's what's so amazing about Pete's record. Accumulate 200 hits a season for 21 seasons and you still don't catch him.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

It would be interesting to figure out who has had the most hits over any 10 year period.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    It would be interesting to figure out who has had the most hits over any 10 year period.
    From the looks of things it's still Hornsby and Rose, with a valiant effort by Gehrig from the mid 20s to mid 30s.

Whoops, that is pretty obvious in retrospect, that'll teach me not to check baseball reference before posting.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Dale Murphy is one of my favorite big leaguers of all-time. I think his numbers are good enough for Cooperstown. Great stats. Thanks.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

I think that if Ichiro gets hit number 4257 (almost 3000 of which will have been in US)he'll be anointed the Hit King. As he should be.

but Charlie Hustle will get a lot of press. Win Win.

Turn Off Ads?