Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sunday 6/7/09 Minor League Updates

Re: Sunday 6/7/09 Minor League Updates

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Well back from the Lookouts game. About 2 hour delay to start, that was fun. Alonso and Heisey continued to have a bad series at the plate. Obviously you saw that Cozart and Frazier had homers. Cozarts was a no-noubter, Frazier's didn't clear by that much.
    Frazier's other hit was a infield single and he walked.

The player of the day was Travis Wood, I'd seen him several other times before, but he looks like a new man. Before watching him was frustrating as you'd say "just throw some strikes". His control today was stellar. Even when he missed it wasn't by much.

The other thing, (and this could be just my imagination) I thought there used to be a more pronounced difference between the speed on his fastball and changeup. It just seems there is less difference, and he can now control them.

I didn't see any other pitchers.

The other thing that has impressed me has been Franciso's defense. He may not have huge range, but he catches everything (even hard hit stuff) and his throws have always been spot on.
    Milb.com has him up on the homepage right now, and it says he had all FIVE of his pitches working tonight.

I'm strictly guessing here, but does he throw a 2-seam, 4-seam, change, curve, slider?
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?

Mesoraco went 0-2 with 2 BBs tonight. He has had a pretty good eye. His AVG is only .207, but his OBP is almost 100 points higher at .304. I think the hitting will come around, and half of his hits are XBH. There are some positives, and I think he has only 4 PB this year, much less than last year.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2010 - repeat A+; advance to AA late in the season
    2011 - get on 40-man roster and optioned; stay in AA
    2012 - succeed in AA; advance to AAA
    2013 - put things together in AAA; possibly a September call-up
    2014 - be on a Major League roster, be released, or sent to another team

In five years, he could be out of baseball, a top prospect, or anything in between. Heck, by that time, it wouldn't surprise me if he will have seen some time at the Major League level. I think a lot of people exaggerate how urgent his situation is. He has until 2014 to figure things out if he's going to have a career with the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Milb.com has him up on the homepage right now, and it says he had all FIVE of his pitches working tonight.

I'm strictly guessing here, but does he throw a 2-seam, 4-seam, change, curve, slider?

-- fastball, cutter, slider, curve and changeup --
    Last edited by Luvsbaseball; 06-07-2009 at 11:25 PM. Reason: change a word.
    "Life is like a baseballgame. When you think a fastball is coming, you gotta be ready to hit the Change UP"

Bailey has his best K/BB ratio in three years. I really think he's turned a corner and just needs a little more time before he's ready to stay up with the big club.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Bailey has his best K/BB ratio in three years. I really think he's turned a corner and just needs a little more time before he's ready to stay up with the big club.
    Good, because he's running out of time. Bailey now has less than four months and counting to prove he can pitch well somewhat consistently at the major league level or he's outta here.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Good, because he's running out of time. Bailey now has less than four months and counting to prove he can pitch well somewhat consistently at the minor league level or he's outta here.
    Fixed it for you.

Bailey stays in ace form as Bats defeat IronPigs
    Starter throws 6 2/3 scoreless innings
    By Michael Grant • mgrant@courier-journal.com • June 7, 2009

With Matt Maloney up in the majors with the Cincinnati Reds, Homer Bailey is the Louisville Bats' ace.

Bailey continued his hot streak on Sunday night by handcuffing Lehigh Valley in a 4-1 victory at Louisville Slugger Field. The right-hander extended his scoreless streak to 14-2/3 innings, working 6-2/3 last night after eight shutout innings at Pawtucket on Tuesday.

Bailey's season-opening start seems like a distant memory.

Since allowing eight earned runs on April9, Bailey's ERA is 2.15. He and Matt Maloney were a formidable one-two punch.

Maloney started for the Reds on Saturday night, and Bailey is pitching as if he's eager to get another shot with the Reds. (He allowed six runs in 41/3 innings at Cincinnati on May23). Sunday night, the right-hander struck out six and allowed seven hits — all singles — and no walks.

Louisville manager Rick Sweet said the biggest change in Bailey is a split-finger fastball.

"That really adds to his arsenal. It's a big pitch for him," he said. "When he first got here he was a two-pitch pitcher: fastball, slow curveball. He added a slider last year which is a great pitch. His curveball is pushed back to his third or fourth pitch. The split-finger is right up there as a second or third pitch."

Sweet said a split-finger could help Bailey get another shot in the majors.

"It's the other end of the spectrum," he said. "95 (mph fastball) then 85 (split-finger). It's in place of a change-up, which is something that he just hasn't been able to master. This pitch he has already mastered."

Bailey had retired 18of21 before getting in trouble in his final inning. With the bases loaded and two out in the seventh, Bailey was pulled by manager Rick Sweet, and the crowd of 8,371 gave him a rousing ovation. Robert Manuel came on in relief and got a called third strike on Jason McDonald to end the inning.

It was the second time this season Bailey had no walks.

"I think it's fastball command," he said. "It's more about that than the split. Fastball command opens up everything with the other pitches: the fastball, the slider, the split."

Bailey had successfully worked his way out of jams two previous times. In the top of the first, Lehigh Valley had runners at the corners with one out. Bailey struck out Andy Tracy and got John Mayberry Jr. to ground out.

In the fifth, the IronPigs opened with consecutive singles. Bailey struck out Jason Ellison. After Lehigh Valley pitcher Gustavo Chacin sacrificed the runners into scoring position, Rich Thompson grounded out.

The final two outs of the first started a run of 11 in a row retired by Bailey (6-5, 3.41).

The Bats scratched out an unearned run against Chacin (0-1) in the fourth. Drew Sutton and Michael Griffin had back-to-back one-out hits. Luis Bolivar hit a shot to right-center that Ellison tracked down in full stride. Catcher Lou Marson's throwing error allowed Sutton to go from second to third. Craig Tatum hit a single to left field for a 1-0 lead.

Louisville got its second run in the fifth. Bankston's two-out RBI scored Drew Stubbs, who had stolen third base, for a 2-0 lead. Bankston added another RBI hit in the seventh to make it 3-0. Norris Hopper's RBI fielder's choice in the eighth made it 4-0.

The Bats pounded out 14 hits. Every starting position player had at least one hit.

Lehigh Valley spoiled the shutout when Jeremy Slayden homered in the ninth.

Louisville (28-28) climbed to .500 for the first time since May16, when it was 16-16.

Michael Grant can be reached at (502) 582-4069.

http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...efeat+IronPigs

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Stubbs just doubled and is 2-4. I'd call both him and Richar up tomorrow. Get some new blood up here. Stubs gives quality ABs.
    Who would you send down? Problem is, I think Stubbs can use some more time down there and I don't think he'll see much playing time with Taveras and Dickerson.

"That really adds to his arsenal. It's a big pitch for him," he said. "When he first got here he was a two-pitch pitcher: fastball, slow curveball. He added a slider last year which is a great pitch. His curveball is pushed back to his third or fourth pitch. The split-finger is right up there as a second or third pitch."
    It's really been fascinating to follow Bailey's development. Another year, another secondary pitch. How this finally shakes out, who knows. But it's good to hear he's got one -- the split -- that's working (for now). Not a big fan of the split-finger, for health reasons, but maybe it won't bother Bailey. Nice to see, too, that he recognizes that fastball command is job #1.

Development takes time. I'm satisfied that Homer is making progress in 09.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    It's really been fascinating to follow Bailey's development. Another year, another secondary pitch. How this finally shakes out, who knows. But it's good to hear he's got one -- the split -- that's working (for now). Not a big fan of the split-finger, for health reasons, but maybe it won't bother Bailey. Nice to see, too, that he recognizes that fastball command is job #1.

Development takes time. I'm satisfied that Homer is making progress in 09.
    Didn't know the split-finger was problematic. What sort of things have been known to develop?

Tendinitis leading to TJ surgery, if not corrected.

In the fifth, the IronPigs opened with consecutive singles.
    Great nickname.

He didn't have the split when he got called up did he? Has he "mastered" the pitch that quick?

If I remember correctly Mike Scott was just an average pitcher until Roger Craig taught him the split finger pitch. The next season he went on to win 18 games hopefully Bailey can find success with it.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?