Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Walt needs to do something

Re: Walt needs to do something

I wish RZs would get in the real world. Stuff like "Reds can sign Holliday" and "sure, trade 10 yrs of production (Alonzo) for a 3 mo rental."

The Reds will not offer Holliday anything in free agency nor will they trade Alonzo for a rental. That's how you do things if you're the Mets or the Yankees. That's not a winning formula in Cincinnati.

This thread brings back memories of the hundreds and hundreds of Bedard posts that were made a year ago, many of which advised the Reds to trade the likes of Votto and Ceuto for him. That would have been insane and Bedard wasn't even a 3 mo rental. What do you think Seattle fans think of that trade now? Think their stomach churns everytime they see Adam Jones in the league's offensive leaders?

2. Turn Off Ads?

In the past I have been unwilling to have patience for the future because I had my doubts that the people in charge had a clue how to plan for it. I think I have more faith in the decision makers now so I think I would not give in to the allure of now in exchange for later.

I get frustrated with this years team, but I actually have some excitement for the next few years.......and that hasnt happened since 1999.
    Let's play two!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I wish RZs would get in the real world. Stuff like "Reds can sign Holliday" and "sure, trade 10 yrs of production (Alonzo) for a 3 mo rental."

The Reds will not offer Holliday anything in free agency nor will they trade Alonzo for a rental. That's how you do things if you're the Mets or the Yankees. That's not a winning formula in Cincinnati.

This thread brings back memories of the hundreds and hundreds of Bedard posts that were made a year ago, many of which advised the Reds to trade the likes of Votto and Ceuto for him. That would have been insane and Bedard wasn't even a 3 mo rental. What do you think Seattle fans think of that trade now? Think their stomach churns everytime they see Adam Jones in the league's offensive leaders?

some simple moves

1. Janish has an OPS of .701 vs .554 for Gonzo. Plus he has a better glove. lets see more of Janish at SS. he may not be a world beater but Gonzo is terrible

2. 'platoon' Dickerson & Rosales. Rosales has an OPS of .743 vs LHP (.610 vs RHP). Dickerson has an OPS of .767 vs RHP (.377 vs LHP)

Vs RHP play Dickerson in CF & Hairston at 3B

Vs LHP play Hairston in CF & Rosales at 3B

3. find some other bat somewhere to add to the roster until Votto/EE get back. ideally someone who can play 1B & at least one other position. it doesn't have to be a big stud. it could just be some generic ops 750 bat. just someone to help the team stay afloat

the position players for now would be:
    C - Hernandez & Hanigan
    1B - new guy & Hernandez
    2B - Phillips
    SS - Janish
    3B - Hairston vs rhp & Rosales vs lhp
    LF - Nix vs rhp & Gomes vs lhp
    CF - Dickerson vs rhp & Hairston vs lhp
    RF - Bruce
    Bench - Gonzo
    Pitch charter, bench warmer & Rosie Red emergency fill in - Taveras

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    This is a team in transition. For better or worse, Walt is deciding what players he inherited are keepers and which need to be upgraded. Expecting this team to contend this year was not realistic. I'd be thrilled if they finished at .500 I hope they at least incrementally improve from last year.

If Walt can make a trade which will plug a hole longterm, I'm all for it, regardless of who is given up, as long as the trade improves us for the longterm.

This team only won 74 games (IIRC) last year. It lost Dunn and Jr. It's going to take awhile to fix this team.
    I feel exactly the same way. All I'm looking for this season is improvement. We may not score as many runs as last year or in seasons past, but for individual players...I want to see some improvement. We've got several pieces in the minors that are pretty darned close to being able to help the big club. This year will give us a pretty good idea of where we stand for the future.

If a trade comes along that helps us for the future, go for it. But don't mortgage the future for the slim possibility of the playoffs this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    That's how you do things if you're the Mets or the Yankees. That's not a winning formula in Cincinnati.
    What is a winning formula in Cincinnati then? Because I'm not sure I can envision it if players like Janish, Rosales, Nix, Gomes, etc are being counted on to win games and sell tickets.

Signing Matt Holliday wouldn't be cheap or easy. But is the ultimate goal of this franchise to win a World Series or just compete for the division every now and then and hopefully win it once a decade?

Building a team/frachise is a process that happens via wise drafting, smart player development, crafty trades, and "strategic" free agent signings. There is no magic bullet short of spending $10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 every year.

Walt has to unenviable task of cobbling together a team from the ashes of The Lost Decade.

I would like to see the Reds think outside the box and try some new approaches besides calling up the next I71 Savior or trading for yet another super-scrappy Pete Rose wannabe. If that new approach includes a risky trade, or blockbuster deal, so be it.

sigh.

Any deal for Holliday would require a 3 day negotiating period for extending him.Without that there would be no deal.

I may not agree with some of Walt's moves, but he's not an idiot.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    What is a winning formula in Cincinnati then? Because I'm not sure I can envision it if players like Janish, Rosales, Nix, Gomes, etc are being counted on to win games and sell tickets.

Signing Matt Holliday wouldn't be cheap or easy. But is the ultimate goal of this franchise to win a World Series or just compete for the division every now and then and hopefully win it once a decade?

Here's a winning formula, in the form of what I project as the 2010 roster.

SP: Harang, Arroyo, Cueto, Volquez, Bailey
    BP: Cordero, Rhodes, Masset, Burton, Owings, Fisher, Herrera
    Waiting in the wings: Maloney, Roenicke, Viola

IF: Alonso, 1b, Phillips 2b, SS, either Janish or to be acquired; 3b, Frazier
    Backups: Two of Sutton, Rosales, Richar, Valaika

OF: Bruce, Stubbs, Votto
    Backups: two of Dickerson, Heisey, or Nix

C: Hanigan and a backup to be acquired.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post

That is basically the same .500 club we have now. Alonso is prob. not a contributor until 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post

I would also add that either Harang or Arroyo will not be here in 2010. If I dare be a little bold I would say both won't be here as they will be dealt this year. I think the Reds are looking to shed payroll this season and both Harang and Arroyo are attractive options to teams looking to add pitching.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post

First of all winning in Cincinnati is much more difficult than winning in NY. You're going to need some luck. In our case it'll probably involve trading vets for younger players, not the other way around. If you do trade a young player like Alonzo you better get another young player in return, not a rental.

I think their formula was right on track this year until Votto, EE and Volquez went down.

Guys like Nix and Gomes are chances we're taking to find a Ludwick, Josh Hamilton or an Abreu...guys who once were set free by their existing teams for whatever reasons. So far I'd say both are contributing. Markets like ours has to take chances on these kinds of players because we can't just buy a Dunn or a Beltran.

As for Rosales and Janish, they're utility players and good teams have them as well. The Dodgers have Juan Castro and Brad Ausmus.

Trading Alonzo for Holliday would be a poor idea.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Spoken like a true Mariner fan...

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I agree 100%.

I have no interest in selling off the farm for a three month rental.

Turn Off Ads?