Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruce or Dunn

Bruce or Dunn

So Bruce is struggling a bit and people are actually suggesting that he gets sent down to the minors.This has to be a joke or something.I would actually argue that Bruce is having a much better season at this point then Dunn was at this point last year.Bruce probably isn't getting on base as well as Dunn was but other then that I'd take what Bruce is giving the team over what Dunn did.

The only problem I have with Bruce is that it seems like he doesn't like to take a walk and when you don't have anyone hitting behind you thats going to end up hurting your OBP and AVG.On the other hand I like the idea of a guy trying to make something happen when guys are on base instead of just taking the walk.If the guys behind you aren't getting the job done your star should try to make something happen.I hate seeing Bruce swing at bad pitches but Dunn used to make me sick with his good eye and selectiveness at the plate when guys were on base.

So if you take money and the age difference out of the equation I'll take the attitude and ability of Bruce over Dunn all day long.For the record I was a big Dunn fan and would love to still have him especially considering the year he is having.I only bring this up because of how hard some are being on Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bruce or Dunn

Anybody think it was pretty funny the other night seeing Dunn take a strike looking on a huge at-bat late in the game with a full count?

Yup, I'll take Bruce.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Gotta love baseball-reference.com...

Bruce 2009 through 53 games:
    .212/.300/.460 5 2B, 14 HR, 30 RBI, 23 BB, 46 K

Dunn 2008 through 53 games:
    .258/.407/.560 6 2B, 14 HR, 36 RBI, 40 BB, 46 K

Sorry, but I don't think Bruce's fielding makes up that much difference... offenses are within a run of each other after 53 games as well...

And one other thing, just to throw out there since one of the tired old songs against Dunn has been not driving in runs...just look at last years stats, again courtesy of BR...

RBI Opportunities
    Adam Dunn -- PA: 651 RBI: 100 Actual Runners on Base: 408 (188-143-77),
    ML Avg. Player with PA: 651 RBI: 74 Avg. Runners on Base: 411 (203-136-71)

He drove in 33% more runners than your average player with fewer runners on base!

I will take bruce with his salary of $417,500 rather than dunn and his $13 million in 2008

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post
    Gotta love baseball-reference.com...

Bruce 2009 through 53 games:
    .212/.300/.460 5 2B, 14 HR, 30 RBI, 23 BB, 46 K

Dunn 2008 through 53 games:
    .258/.407/.560 6 2B, 14 HR, 36 RBI, 40 BB, 46 K

Sorry, but I don't think Bruce's fielding makes up that much difference... offenses are within a run of each other after 53 games as well...
    I'm very suprised that Dunn's avg. was that high.Seems like he really struggled with that last year but I'll take your word for it.

I would still take Bruce.His defense does make up a lot and when you consider that and the approach that Bruce seems to have it evens out.Walks and OBP are great if your talking about your lead off guy or someone hitting in a line up that is stacked from top to bottom.In both cases we're not.I really like it that Bruce seems like he wants to be the guy that gets the job done.He will put it together soon when some of the guys out get back in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon4MVP View Post
    I will take bruce with his salary of $417,500 rather than dunn and his $13 million in 2008
    I'd like to have them both. Bruce looks like a good deal at this point, but as he gets better/older he'll get a lot more expensive. Right now Dunn hits much better, Bruce fields, throws, and runs much better. If Bruce ever hits like Dunn, he'll cost much more because of his other skills. In fact, if Bruce progresses like we hope, he'll be hard to keep. Thankfully, that is several years down the road.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

When the dusty has settled:

Dunn: .251 avg, 590 HR, 1211 RBI, 119 SB

Bruce: .282 avg, 501 HR, 1309, 191 SB
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Dunn and his easy chair would poison these young guys. Even if Bruce goes below the Mendoza line, I'd still take him over Dunn.

Didn't Dunn have another blooper reel throw this past week? Anyone got footage?

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    When the dusty has settled:

Bruce: 501 HR, 191 SB
    Wow, what's your dealers phone number? I have to get me some of that.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrLarryJohnson View Post
    Wow, what's your dealers phone number? I have to get me some of that.
    Yeah?

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2008/...ball-jay-bruce

Well aparently John Sickels (very respectable opinion) is on something along the same lines.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Speaking of Dunn... Does anyone have that GIF of Dunn "trying" to catch a flyball then throwing it backwards on the throw? Remembered it when I saw the ESPN Video "Not So Pretty" a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Farnsie View Post
    Speaking of Dunn... Does anyone have that GIF of Dunn "trying" to catch a flyball then throwing it backwards on the throw? Remembered it when I saw the ESPN Video "Not So Pretty" a few days ago.
    Shouldnt be hard to find, hes done it more than once.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Bruce 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Turn Off Ads?