Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Rios?

Alex Rios?

Alex Rios may have talked his way right out of Toronto after profane exchange with fan
    By STEVE SIMMONS

Last Updated: 7th June 2009, 4:47am

Alex Rios has turned into a $10-million embarrassment for the Toronto Blue Jays.

Never mind that he plays the outfield with a not-so-reckless indifference. Never mind that he has taken his five-tool gifts and squandered them with his lack of passion and apathy. Never mind that the hitting numbers aren't anywhere near where they are supposed to be.

All that pales when compared with his foolish act of the other night, exchanging swear words with a fan after turning down an autograph request from a kid, at a charity event no less. Available in today's technology for all to see on YouTube.

Whether management will see it this way or not, Rios essentially is done as a Blue Jay. Failing on the field can be accepted. Failing off the field reflects a certain lack of character. All the apologies in the world may not be able to correct that.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/col...03471-sun.html

I won't post the video here since it contains some not-so-friendly language, but go to YouTube and type in Alex Rios to see the incident.

Anyways, I would like to see Jocketty go after Rios. He's a stud defender in the outfield (+11.9 UZR/150 in CF, +14.7 in RF) and has a chance to be a 25 HR, .850+ OPS hitter. He just hasn't put it together consistently with the bat yet but the potential is there. I'd offer Alonso + Bailey.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alex Rios?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Anyways, I would like to see Jocketty go after Rios. He's a stud defender in the outfield (+11.9 UZR/150 in CF, +14.7 in RF) and has a chance to be a 25 HR, .850+ OPS hitter. He just hasn't put it together consistently with the bat yet but the potential is there. I'd offer Alonso + Bailey.
    I don't have a problem taking a chance on an overpaid, underachieiver with an attitude problem. Sometimes a change of scenery will do a guy good (although I see the Mets as a better landing spot for him).

No way I give up Alonso and Bailey, especially with Toronto being fed up with him. Taking a risk on a guy like that being paid over $10M? They'll get some middle of the road prospects, but that's it. Unless they're willing to pay more than half of his salary. Even then, I say no on Alonso.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

I'd give them any guy in the system not named Alonso for Rios.

How about Stubbs and Bailey? I think that'd be pretty fair.

Alex Rios may have talked his way right out of Toronto after profane exchange with fan
    By STEVE SIMMONS

Alex Rios has turned into a $10-million embarrassment for the Toronto Blue Jays.

Never mind that he plays the outfield with a not-so-reckless indifference. Never mind that he has taken his five-tool gifts and squandered them with his lack of passion and apathy. Never mind that the hitting numbers aren't anywhere near where they are supposed to be.

All that pales when compared with his foolish act of the other night, exchanging swear words with a fan after turning down an autograph request from a kid, at a charity event no less. Available in today's technology for all to see on YouTube.

Whether management will see it this way or not, Rios essentially is done as a Blue Jay. Failing on the field can be accepted. Failing off the field reflects a certain lack of character. All the apologies in the world may not be able to correct that.

I won't post the video here since it contains some not-so-friendly language, but go to YouTube and type in Alex Rios to see the incident.

Alonso and Bailey for Rios? That's a BIG no thanks for me, and that's just based on his on-field performance.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Yeah, Alonso + Bailey may be a little too much. I figure it would take at least one of those two though, probably Alonso, plus another solid prospect.

Here is his current contract info. He has a full no-trade clause:

7 years/$69.835M (2008-14), plus 2015 club option

08:$0.735M, 09:$5.9M, 10:$9.7M, 11:$12M, 12:$12M, 13:$12.5M, 14:$12.5M, 15:$13.5M club option ($1M buyout)

full no-trade clause, 2009-10
    limited no-trade clause, 2011 - end of deal (may block trades to 6 clubs)
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

You have to wonder if his stats are down because he's trying to get the Jays to trade him or if his skills have declined. If it's the former, what makes anyone think he wouldn't do it again once he's unhappy with his new team? That's one thing everyone gave Sheffield crap about when he was a kid with MIL and said he intentionally messed up to get traded. If it's the latter, do you really want him if his skills have declined?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Arroyo and Heisey?

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I don't have a problem taking a chance on an overpaid, underachieiver with an attitude problem. Sometimes a change of scenery will do a guy good (although I see the Mets as a better landing spot for him).
    Based on NJ's post later in the thread, Rios has about $60 million in guaranteed money coming over the next five years. For that price, I don't want any truck with a guy based on the ballplayer he hasn't yet become, nor am I going to invest that much in a change of scenery trade. I'm especially not going to hand over the cream of the farm system to roll the dice.

Consider that the payoff if the deal does work is simply a very good ballplayer earning his considerable salary. The downside is a huge albatross contract with little or no chance for the club to cut its losses. Admittedly, every long, expensive contract has that risk. But it's one thing when it happens unexpectedly, quite another when you can hear the albatross' wings flapping already.

If Toronto kicks in a bunch of money and doesn't want our best prospects in return, then it's a different discussion.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

If Rios is available, you go get him, period.

You start low, but if it takes Alonso and Bailey (I don't think it would), you make that deal.

I'll bet the Braves are kicking themselves right now.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 06-08-2009 at 02:28 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

From my experience players that have had problems with fans are very risky. Most of the time the problems this type of person is much more deep seated and not easily overcome. If he can be had cheap it is fine but I wouldn't give up very much in value for him. Just too risky.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

By STEVE SIMMONS

I wouldn't give the ranch for him, but most certainly I'd take a flier. I'm not keen on taking clubhouse distractions (assuming that reputation is even a valid one), but I also think it can work if the guy is brought into the right environment and conforms to the clubhouse leadership.

In this case, I watched the video of Rios' interaction at that event. While I deplore his actions, I do understand these things sometimes get blown out of proportion. It would have been easy for him to simply sign that kid's autograph. After all, it's not like there was a long line waiting for it. But I also understand how it would be hard to have that following you everywhere you go. Further, I didn't think the guy needed to exacerbate the situation by verbally jousting with Rios. If this incident is the main factor as to why the Blue Jays might facilitate a trade, by all means I'd say the Reds should try to accommodate it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

~ $12M a yearthru the 14 season) for a sub 800 OPS RF. I am sure JP would do an Irish Jig if he could get more than a bag of balls and unload that contract for his overpaid outfielder, then he would only have one more to get rid of.

With Joey's health being in doubt I don't want Yonder anywhere near trade talks. You can't put a percentage on it, but there is a very real chance that Votto's problems become career threatening.

I would love to see a play for Rios, but I think that Yonder is a player that has to be all most untouchable at this point.

Bailey was untouchable for quite a while.

Don't fall in love with prospects.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?