Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Alex Rios?

Re: Alex Rios?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Alonso doesn't have to be better than Votto to play first.

He just has to be better than whoever we are likely to use in LF.

If Alonso proves he can play, even if not up to Votto's standards, Votto may get moved to LF to get both in the lineup. Or jsut to prove Alonso can hit enough to increase his trade value.
    That would make you worse defensively at two spots. Votto would be my 1st baseman until he decides he doesn't want to be anymore. Sorry to hijack the thread.

BTW, I still think there are better options than Alex Rios.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    That would make you worse defensively at two spots. Votto would be my 1st baseman until he decides he doesn't want to be anymore. Sorry to hijack the thread.
    Well, playing Alonso over Votto at first weakens us defensively. But we don't know who would have been playing LF if Votto ends up there. I expect Votto could become league average out there.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Putting Rios in LF would be a waste of his good defensive play. And this year, the LF combo of Nix/Gomes has outproduced Rios offensively by quite a margin. And that's without giving up 3 good propsects and adding $70M or so to our payroll.

If we make a trade for Rios, it has to be to play him at CF, otherwise it's a complete waste.
    Rios would play RF. He's way better than Bruce defensively.

I'm sure by the end of the year, Rios will outperform our LF monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Rios would play RF. He's way better than Bruce defensively.

I'm sure by the end of the year, Rios will outperform our LF monster.
    This year, Rios is a +0.2 defender in RF while Bruce is at +4.3, according to UZR.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    This year, Rios is a +0.2 defender in RF while Bruce is at +4.3, according to UZR.
    This year, but IIRC, Rios has been the best RF in the game not named Ichiro Suzuki for at least the last 3 seasons.

With Litsch joining Marcum and McGowan as out for the year and Halladay now possibly injured, I wonder if the Jays will become sellers. If so, I'd imagine they're looking for young pitching, pitching, and more pitching. Don't forget their $47MM closer is injured as well.

If they're disillusioned and Riccardi wants to make a short-term play to save his job, maybe they'd want Arroyo.

If they're realists, they would probably salivate over Bailey and the injured Canadian, Lotzkar.

I would offer three different packages, each of which might entice them for different reasons. Each also provides the Reds with some salary relief. I would probably not include Alonso, who I would hold onto for now until I have a better read on the Votto situation. Assuming Votto is ok, I would trade Alonso for pitching (assuming Rios is acquired.)

PACKAGE 1 (short-term play)
    Arroyo
    Heisey
    Francisco/Roenicke

PACKAGE 2 (bullpen fix/swap of heavy contracts)
    Cordero
    Dickerson
    Owings

PACKAGE 3 (Canadian future special- high risk high return)
    Bailey
    Taveras
    Hildenbrant
    Lotzkar (as PTBNL)

What do you think- which of these would you do? Which, if any, do you think the Jays might like?
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-13-2009 at 07:13 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I understand. But honestly, if it was easy to turn prospects and cash into quality players, why haven't the Reds been able to do it consistently? Or the Pirates? Or any of the other poorly-run franchises that cling to prospects and cry poor when opportunity knocks?
    Historically, that's been about unwillingness or inability to put the cash on the table. But it's the same dynamic that takes place everywhere in baseball. Teams will take on money in trade or they'll deal top prospects but they almost never do both at the same time, since free agency offers the opportunity to get what you need with just money. I think if someone *did* put both out there, as proposed early in the thread for the sake of acquiring Rios, you'd see all sorts of possibilities open up. But again, that will get you a player, but it's not necessarily the optimal use of the resources.
    Not all who wander are lost

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

After seeing him up close for three nights (if you actually suffer through every Reds game like I do) I'm curious to hear what Reds fans think of Rios.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    After seeing him up close for three nights (if you actually suffer through every Reds game like I do) I'm curious to hear what Reds fans think of Rios.
    I'd stop being a Reds fan if he was a Red.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I'd stop being a Reds fan if he was a Red.
    Ha! I wouldn't go that far, but I think the fan in Toronto that called him a "bum" wasn't too far off. The guy has no concept of the strike zone and is exactly what the Reds don't need IMO. He might have 5 tools, but all of them are dull. Give me the guy with 3-4 sharp tools over the Rios' with 5 dull tools anyday.

He was pretty unimpressive this series, that's for sure. He's better than the garbage we're rolling out there these days, but not worth the money or the minor leaguers we'd have to give up to get him.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

He definitely struggled, and had a really ugly K today. But in the end, it's the same type of type from Phillips. The guy has had success even with the subpar plate approach, a 3 game series doesn't change that.

Like I said, take $30M off his deal and he is maybe considerable. If the Reds traded for him, I would be beyond furious. He is a very poor man's Reggie Sanders, with less power.

Turn Off Ads?