Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Rios?

Re: Alex Rios?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Don't fall in love with prospects.
    nor expensive underachieving players whose current teams wants to unload their contract.

IMO, the 850 OPS Rios is in the past. He may surge one season in the next 5 or 6 and get to that level again but I would expect the 750 to 800 OPS to be the norm.

2. Turn Off Ads?

No No Please No.

I don't believe in the change of scenery scenario. It happens, but it is high risk.

The only way I take on a contract like that is for a young, gold glove SS.

I don't want to endure 5 years of posts about getting out of the Rios contract.

I am not convinced that his numbers will improve substantially. After getting the big contract, his numbers have declined. That is a bad character sign for me.

The Reds are playing together well as a team. I see a sense of having to earn your way onto the team. Taking on a contract like that, sends the wrong message. It gets players comparing salaries relative to stats rather than focusing on winning.

Outfield is not the biggest need. A RH power bat has been eclipsed by the needs at SS and 3B. The notion that Rios will be the stud CF is an illusion. I don't want to replace Taveras/Dickerson with someone who plays with not-so-reckless indifference.

The only part of this I agree with is that Alonso and Bailey are trading chips. I don't see a place for either of them on the team. Alonso is not better than Votto. Nor do I see Votto going to LF to keep his bat in the game. Bailey is about to be passed by AA prospects. Now is the time to move him.

Honestly, I completely forgot about that big contract Rios signed. Thanks for pointing that out. That changes everything. I still like Rios' talent, but knowing what I know now, I definitely wouldn't trade Alonso + Bailey for him.

14 million a year gamble that Rios will suddenly find himself? No thanks. I wouldn't trade an A league prospect for him. His contract has priced him out of any semblance of value. Too long and too much, the Jays will have trouble moving him.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Honestly, I completely forgot about that big contract Rios signed. Thanks for pointing that out. That changes everything. I still like Rios' talent, but knowing what I know now, I definitely wouldn't trade Alonso + Bailey for him.
    The Braves got the much more affordable Nate McClouth for what I've heard described as 3 mid-level prospects.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

The Reds need a shortstop. They have zero solutions for that need (either for the now or the later).

They've got a system loaded full of outfield options both in center and left (albeit not for this season though).

Rios is a long term solution to what we hope is a short term problem (essentially centerfield in '09).

I guess Rios makes sense from a win now standpoint but the length of his contract makes a "win now" move less palatable.

I like Rios. He's better than his '09 and his contract really shouldn't be that scary money-wise. I'm just not sold that he's a no brainer fit for the Reds.

This decision would probably be tougher than either side of the issue might think and of course what it took to get Rios would greater color the calculus.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The Reds need a shortstop. They have zero solutions for that need (either for the now or the later).
    I agree, though Zach Cozart is starting to become interesting (.283/.358/.452 - .810 in Double-A).

I would love to find a young shortstop who can lock down the position for the next 5-10 years. We're Reds fans, we deserve to have a great shortstop. It's a tradition.

Jose Guillen: The Sequel.

If the Blue Jays sent over $30 Million with him, I still might not do it. And that's without giving up any prospects. That's how low I am on Alex Rios.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Jose Guillen: The Sequel.

Are you saying Cito should put plastic over his desk?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Dusty would make him happy. Vernon Wells is not exactly tearing it up in Toronto, either. Something in the water?

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    14 million a year gamble that Rios will suddenly find himself? No thanks. I wouldn't trade an A league prospect for him. His contract has priced him out of any semblance of value. Too long and too much, the Jays will have trouble moving him.
    No need for hyperbole. At no point in his current contract does Alex Rios make $14 million a year. He makes $5.9M this season, $9.7M next year, then settles in around $12.5 for the next 4 years.

I don't buy him as being washed up at 28 years old. Streaky, yes -- check out his splits. But he'll be earning his $12.5 million a year and then some before his contract is out.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

What about Arroyo for Rios, straight up? I don't think Toronto really needs another SP, but the money would balance itself out nicely.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    What about Arroyo for Rios, straight up? I don't think Toronto really needs another SP, but the money would balance itself out nicely.
    Sign me up.

Arroyo's not a long-term fixture for this club, while Rios could be a long-term fixture.

The $ is similar, and IMO we're actually addressing our pathetic offense, while giving one of our SP question marks a chance to prove their worth.

Seems like an overall good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    After 2009 Guaranteed Money:

Arroyo: $13M
    Rios: $61M

The money does not balance nicely.

Turn Off Ads?