Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Silly Season - World Soccer Transfer Time

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Silly Season - World Soccer Transfer Time

What are people's views on some of the big transfers so far? News today is that Kaka is heading to Real Madrid. Any Real fans want to weigh in? The other big moves I've noticed so far are Gareth Barry to Man City and Mario Gomez to Bayern. Anyone seen anything about American players on the move?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Re: The Silly Season - World Soccer Transfer Time

Barry to Man city? That is kind of disappointing. I liked what Villa had been building.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

I'm not a Real Madrid fan, but they've got to be ecstatic to be adding a player of Kaka's caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I'm not a Real Madrid fan, but they've got to be ecstatic to be adding a player of Kaka's caliber.
    He can play a little, but he's no Landon Donovan.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    He can play a little, but he's no Landon Donovan.
    Or Eric Wynalda...
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    As a Real Madrid fan, I'm not convinced that throwing money around like crazy gets the job done. Yet if Kaka, Ronaldo and David Villa come through the door, it should be fascinating to watch.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    As a Real Madrid fan, I'm not convinced that throwing money around like crazy gets the job done. Yet if Kaka, Ronaldo and David Villa come through the door, it should be fascinating to watch.
    Admittedly, I don't know much about Madrid, but it seems like their moves seem to be driven by rivalry with Barcelona in a Yankees/Red Sox kind of way.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Admittedly, I don't know much about Madrid, but it seems like their moves seem to be driven by rivalry with Barcelona in a Yankees/Red Sox kind of way.
    That's pretty much it.

Real just brought back its version of George Steinbrenner. Barca's more like the Sox, spending slightly less obscene amounts while depending more on its gold-plated feeder system.

That's pretty much it.

Real just brought back its version of George Steinbrenner. Barca's more like the Sox, spending slightly less obscene amounts while depending more on its gold-plated feeder system.
    Don't compare this rivalry to Yanks/Sox. It is far deeper and more intense. It is between cultures - Castilians vrs. Catalans. Real Madrid is the world's richest football club. It became rich during the fascist dictatorships of Primo de Rivera and Francisco Franco. During that time, all regional cultures were openly suppressed (all the languages spoken in Spanish territory except Spanish itself were officially banned). Barca sybolized the Catalan people's desire for freedom, Barça became more than a club (més que un club). Support for Barca was the Catalans' best way of demonstrating their identity. It was less risky than joining a anti-Franco movement and allowed them to express their dissidence.
    On the other hand, Real Supporters are Ultras - like Lazio's supporters. Their fandom is based on expression of brute force, reflecting their Franco patronage.

One question I have is, where is all this money coming from? Reports indicate the ownership groups of some of the powerhouses of the EPL are struggling under massive debt and it seems like it's only getting tougher with the global recession. Is Madrid financially sound enough to toss all this money around without having to worry about having debts called in? While its fascinating to watch the transfer market, I wonder whether we're going to see a major European team suffer a severe financial crisis resulting in a crash in the transfer market. It seems a common practice to fund these transfers by selling off other players, but I imagine if a few teams had to engage in a major selloff to make debt payments, it would sink the transfer market.

One question I have is, where is all this money coming from? Reports indicate the ownership groups of some of the powerhouses of the EPL are struggling under massive debt and it seems like it's only getting tougher with the global recession. Is Madrid financially sound enough to toss all this money around without having to worry about having debts called in? While its fascinating to watch the transfer market, I wonder whether we're going to see a major European team suffer a severe financial crisis resulting in a crash in the transfer market. It seems a common practice to fund these transfers by selling off other players, but I imagine if a few teams had to engage in a major selloff to make debt payments, it would sink the transfer market.
    I suspect Real has a big enough pile of cash lying about to fund three Premiership operations.

One question I have is, where is all this money coming from?
    Remember how in pirate movies they were always after Spanish dubloons? Well, there's a big pile of them in the tomb of Ferdinand and Isabella and Real uses it to buy soccer players.

Honestly, Real seems to have an endless supply of money and no one's ever quite sure where it comes from.

Remember how in pirate movies they were always after Spanish dubloons? Well, there's a big pile of them in the tomb of Ferdinand and Isabella and Real uses it to buy soccer players.

Honestly, Real seems to have an endless supply of money and no one's ever quite sure where it comes from.
    Ha! Maybe the MLS should send Mikey, Chunk and the rest of Goonies out to find One-eyed Willy's treasure so they can have some dubloons of their own to buy soccer players.

Kaka didn't impress me all that much with Milan. He ran hot and cold. I do like Pato, though.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Not really transfer related, but I saw an article about Setanta having problems with speculation that ESPN might be interested in picking up their EPL rights. Could mean more English soccer on TV for us. Of course I'd like to see some German, Spanish and French soccer too, but I won't complain about more soccer on TV.

Turn Off Ads?