Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: downloading music

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Re: downloading music

OK, so Joe Schmoe is working for Huge Corporation, just trying to make ends meet. He is a new hire and starts off in the mail room making $9.50 an hour and working his hardest to break into the offices upstairs. He has the talent, but he needs to pay his dues and gain the attention of higher ups to get his chance.

Just because Huge Corporation is making millions and their CEO has a private plane and a summer home in the Alps, Joe Public thinks it is okay to steal from them. They rationalize it by saying Huge Corporation is corrupt and is overcharging for their widgets. And since Huge Corporation is resistant to change, Joe Public illegally obtains some of their widgets, tests them out, and then only buys 1 or 2 after trying a dozen or so illegally.

As a result, Huge Corporation's profits dwindle. Joe Public sees this as more proof that their business model is corrupt and thinks they should just give their widgets away and totally change the business they are in. So, with dwindling profits and a bleak forecast, guess who pays the price? The CEO? Nope, he is still in the Alps. Joe Schmoe, however, has been laid off.

A stretch perhaps, but certainly a better example than comparing the music industry to suffrage or even prohibition.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    OK, so Joe Schmoe is working for Huge Corporation, just trying to make ends meet. He is a new hire and starts off in the mail room making $9.50 an hour and working his hardest to break into the offices upstairs. He has the talent, but he needs to pay his dues and gain the attention of higher ups to get his chance.

Just because Huge Corporation is making millions and their CEO has a private plane and a summer home in the Alps, Joe Public thinks it is okay to steal from them. They rationalize it by saying Huge Corporation is corrupt and is overcharging for their widgets. And since Huge Corporation is resistant to change, Joe Public illegally obtains some of their widgets, tests them out, and then only buys 1 or 2 after trying a dozen or so illegally.

As a result, Huge Corporation's profits dwindle. Joe Public sees this as more proof that their business model is corrupt and thinks they should just give their widgets away and totally change the business they are in. So, with dwindling profits and a bleak forecast, guess who pays the price? The CEO? Nope, he is still in the Alps. Joe Schmoe, however, has been laid off.

A stretch perhaps, but certainly a better example than comparing the music industry to suffrage or even prohibition.
    Yeah, that's definitely a better example, but people were misinterpreting the point of my example, which was simply to say, "Just because it's illegal doesn't mean it's wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Yeah, that's definitely a better example, but people were misinterpreting the point of my example, which was simply to say, "Just because it's illegal doesn't mean it's wrong."
    But also, if one it to be a full and partipating citizen of this country and protest a what is perceived to be an unfair law, one must also be willing to pay the penalty of violating that law. Laws are not an ala carte menu to pick and choose from.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    But also, if one it to be a full and partipating citizen of this country and protest a what is perceived to be an unfair law, one must also be willing to pay the penalty of violating that law. Laws are not an ala carte menu to pick and choose from.
    When the time comes, I'll be ready for it.

They call me "chef"

There is no way to stop people from downloading music. No matter how angry anyone gets. And it's not even a matter of right or wrong, it's a matter of it exists and it is what it is. Regardless of how you want it to be, the way intellectual property is perceived and treated isn't decided upon by the people who make money off it, it's decided by society and the people who digest it- and whether you agree with it or not, people have made it clear they think it's ok to download music by their actions. So do you put all those millions of people in jail for using the internet and clicking 3 buttons? Or do you re-think IP laws and have them reflect some of the change in perception that has come about since the internet has made music so accessible? Laws aren't governed by morality, they are governed by society and what it needs to run smoothly. Is it better to throw a blanket over all those citizens who download music and send them all to jail OR is it better to make new laws that better distinguish between grandma downloading piano music for her music lessons and Jeremy T. Intern who steals Metallica's master cd from the studio? That's up for you to decide and I think its obvious the first step to solving this is putting camisadelgolf on ignore.

Why do you say that? I realize that things look bleak (it's definitely not the first time), but do you think there's a concern with getting busted or something?
    I would stay off the bay for awhile.... I've had a friend get 2 notices from his ISP saying bad bad bad you better stop those things. They are really hitting it hard right now (or in the past 6 months or so)

There are better options out there... isohunt is one of them....

Sorry it took me awhile to get back, I forgot I wrote in this thread.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer View Post
    That's up for you to decide and I think its obvious the first step to solving this is putting camisadelgolf on ignore.
    Was that sarcasm? Because I don't really get what he did wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Why put him on ignore? We'd miss his next analogy to the struggle for civil rights.
    Last edited by wolfboy; 06-11-2009 at 04:00 PM.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Take the personal stuff off the thread or it gets locked.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

There is also another saying, "Don't do the crime, if you cant do the time".

"This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    There is also another saying, "Don't do the crime, if you cant do the time".

That seems like an ironic reference under the circumstances.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    That seems like an ironic reference under the circumstances.
    Life imitating art?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Can we let the personal attacks happen as long as I promise not to retaliate?

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I NEVER use sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer View Post
    I NEVER use sarcasm.

Now I'm really confused...

Turn Off Ads?