Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: downloading music

Re: downloading music

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    What about the punishment fitting the crime? Doesn't this seem excessive? I understand that is the whole point, to scare others from doing it. But how are they going to collect such a judgement? She won't make that kind of money in her life. Anyone know how that works? Is she supposed to live on an allowance and everything above a certain amount goes to pay it off? In that case why would she work or even try to pay it off?
    In many cases property not exempted by state and federal law will be seized as payment towards the judgment if there is not money to pay (which of course there won't be). The plaintiffs can then file a judgment lien of some sort (again, depends on state law) to collect the rest through garnishment, which can be all disposable income above the allowable exemption. I speak from personal experience as someone who once ran a business and had to collect in civil court...those are the methods we used.

2. Turn Off Ads?

People, just go to the Russian sites, pay $1.25 for the whole album or $.15 a song, and you're in the clear.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Granted, what I do is a form of stealing. I make a lot of money playing music, and I've never recorded a single song.
    That's basically what it comes down to--I'm not a fan of capitalism.

That pretty much says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    That pretty much says it all.

. . . but I still think people in nate's position could make a great deal of money with the downloading of all music being legal. It's just a matter of making the appropriate adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Yes, Slacker is really cool. I've got several custom stations on there.
    I'm going to go pick up my MP3 player today...

And in 2 weeks I'm getting a new CD Player in my car to be able to hook up my Slacker Radio into it and have it on demand...

With all the wireless around the city there is always a good chance you'll be updating alot through out the day....
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Just throwing something out there in regards to things said earlier in the thread.

If I'm making music, its not because I want to make a living off of it. Its because I want to make good music to share with other people, that they can enjoy. I'm not worried with the money aspect of it at all.

I wish I had enough musical talent and creativity to make good music. And if I did, I'd be thrilled if thousands of people toerented my music. It means they like it and enjoy it. As an ARTIST, that would be my number one priority. Making good music that people can enjoy. The buck I could make off of it would not even cross my mind for a second.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    People, just go to the Russian sites, pay $1.25 for the whole album or $.15 a song, and you're in the clear.
    Personally, I think paying pirates is even sillier than being one. :
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

That is simply a ridiculous ruling. How is this woman ever suppose to pay that amount?

This is what blows me away about juries. The punishment should fit the crime.

A 2M judgment for 24 songs. Geez!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    Just throwing something out there in regards to things said earlier in the thread.

If I'm making music, its not because I want to make a living off of it. Its because I want to make good music to share with other people, that they can enjoy. I'm not worried with the money aspect of it at all.

I wish I had enough musical talent and creativity to make good music. And if I did, I'd be thrilled if thousands of people toerented my music. It means they like it and enjoy it. As an ARTIST, that would be my number one priority. Making good music that people can enjoy. The buck I could make off of it would not even cross my mind for a second.
    That's how I feel about it. Music is both an art and a business, but personally, I don't want to support the business side of it. I'd like to see major labels fold ASAP. However, as an art form, music still needs some financial backing, and I try to provide that--just not by purchasing songs in a digital format.

This is pretty well written commentary on the history of the MP3. Covers the bases of many of the points and implications presented in this thread. Overall, a good read.
    http://pitchfork.com/features/articl...-of-the-mp3/1/

Turn Off Ads?