Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 130

Thread: downloading music

  1. #91
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: downloading music

    OK, so Joe Schmoe is working for Huge Corporation, just trying to make ends meet. He is a new hire and starts off in the mail room making $9.50 an hour and working his hardest to break into the offices upstairs. He has the talent, but he needs to pay his dues and gain the attention of higher ups to get his chance.

    Just because Huge Corporation is making millions and their CEO has a private plane and a summer home in the Alps, Joe Public thinks it is okay to steal from them. They rationalize it by saying Huge Corporation is corrupt and is overcharging for their widgets. And since Huge Corporation is resistant to change, Joe Public illegally obtains some of their widgets, tests them out, and then only buys 1 or 2 after trying a dozen or so illegally.

    As a result, Huge Corporation's profits dwindle. Joe Public sees this as more proof that their business model is corrupt and thinks they should just give their widgets away and totally change the business they are in. So, with dwindling profits and a bleak forecast, guess who pays the price? The CEO? Nope, he is still in the Alps. Joe Schmoe, however, has been laid off.

    A stretch perhaps, but certainly a better example than comparing the music industry to suffrage or even prohibition.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #92
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,491

    Re: downloading music

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    OK, so Joe Schmoe is working for Huge Corporation, just trying to make ends meet. He is a new hire and starts off in the mail room making $9.50 an hour and working his hardest to break into the offices upstairs. He has the talent, but he needs to pay his dues and gain the attention of higher ups to get his chance.

    Just because Huge Corporation is making millions and their CEO has a private plane and a summer home in the Alps, Joe Public thinks it is okay to steal from them. They rationalize it by saying Huge Corporation is corrupt and is overcharging for their widgets. And since Huge Corporation is resistant to change, Joe Public illegally obtains some of their widgets, tests them out, and then only buys 1 or 2 after trying a dozen or so illegally.

    As a result, Huge Corporation's profits dwindle. Joe Public sees this as more proof that their business model is corrupt and thinks they should just give their widgets away and totally change the business they are in. So, with dwindling profits and a bleak forecast, guess who pays the price? The CEO? Nope, he is still in the Alps. Joe Schmoe, however, has been laid off.

    A stretch perhaps, but certainly a better example than comparing the music industry to suffrage or even prohibition.
    Yeah, that's definitely a better example, but people were misinterpreting the point of my example, which was simply to say, "Just because it's illegal doesn't mean it's wrong."

  4. #93
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,379

    Re: downloading music

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Yeah, that's definitely a better example, but people were misinterpreting the point of my example, which was simply to say, "Just because it's illegal doesn't mean it's wrong."
    But also, if one it to be a full and partipating citizen of this country and protest a what is perceived to be an unfair law, one must also be willing to pay the penalty of violating that law. Laws are not an ala carte menu to pick and choose from.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  5. #94
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,491

    Re: downloading music

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    But also, if one it to be a full and partipating citizen of this country and protest a what is perceived to be an unfair law, one must also be willing to pay the penalty of violating that law. Laws are not an ala carte menu to pick and choose from.
    When the time comes, I'll be ready for it.

  6. #95
    Member The Baumer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,295

    Re: downloading music

    There is no way to stop people from downloading music. No matter how angry anyone gets. And it's not even a matter of right or wrong, it's a matter of it exists and it is what it is. Regardless of how you want it to be, the way intellectual property is perceived and treated isn't decided upon by the people who make money off it, it's decided by society and the people who digest it- and whether you agree with it or not, people have made it clear they think it's ok to download music by their actions. So do you put all those millions of people in jail for using the internet and clicking 3 buttons? Or do you re-think IP laws and have them reflect some of the change in perception that has come about since the internet has made music so accessible? Laws aren't governed by morality, they are governed by society and what it needs to run smoothly. Is it better to throw a blanket over all those citizens who download music and send them all to jail OR is it better to make new laws that better distinguish between grandma downloading piano music for her music lessons and Jeremy T. Intern who steals Metallica's master cd from the studio? That's up for you to decide and I think its obvious the first step to solving this is putting camisadelgolf on ignore.

  7. #96
    Reds Slacker '07 RedsMan3203's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,784

    Re: downloading music

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Why do you say that? I realize that things look bleak (it's definitely not the first time), but do you think there's a concern with getting busted or something?
    I would stay off the bay for awhile.... I've had a friend get 2 notices from his ISP saying bad bad bad you better stop those things. They are really hitting it hard right now (or in the past 6 months or so)

    There are better options out there... isohunt is one of them....

    Sorry it took me awhile to get back, I forgot I wrote in this thread.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

    Jockstocks Homepage

    Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

  8. #97
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,458

    Re: downloading music

    Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer View Post
    That's up for you to decide and I think its obvious the first step to solving this is putting camisadelgolf on ignore.
    Was that sarcasm? Because I don't really get what he did wrong...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  9. #98
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,687

    Re: downloading music

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Was that sarcasm? Because I don't really get what he did wrong...
    Why put him on ignore? We'd miss his next analogy to the struggle for civil rights.
    Last edited by wolfboy; 06-11-2009 at 05:00 PM.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  10. #99
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,750

    Re: downloading music

    Take the personal stuff off the thread or it gets locked.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

  11. #100
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19,138

    Re: downloading music

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Yeah, that's definitely a better example, but people were misinterpreting the point of my example, which was simply to say, "Just because it's illegal doesn't mean it's wrong."
    There is also another saying, "Don't do the crime, if you cant do the time".

    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  12. #101
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,753

    Re: downloading music

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    There is also another saying, "Don't do the crime, if you cant do the time".

    That seems like an ironic reference under the circumstances.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  13. #102
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19,138

    Re: downloading music

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    That seems like an ironic reference under the circumstances.
    Life imitating art?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  14. #103
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,491

    Re: downloading music

    Can we let the personal attacks happen as long as I promise not to retaliate?

  15. #104
    Member The Baumer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,295

    Re: downloading music

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Was that sarcasm? Because I don't really get what he did wrong...
    I NEVER use sarcasm.













  16. #105
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,458

    Re: downloading music

    Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer View Post
    I NEVER use sarcasm.












    Now I'm really confused...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25