Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's why the Reds can make the playoffs

Here's why the Reds can make the playoffs

In my never ending attempt to make this board more positive, here are some optimistic thoughts...

If someone would have told you on opening day that EE and Votto would be on the DL, Volquez would miss starts with ailments, Bruce would slump this bad, Phillips would break his thumb, Gonzalez would be hitting .211 in June, Lincoln would fall off a cliff, what record would you have predicted for June 9? And yet, they are over .500 and in striking distance of the top. Had they pulled out that last extra inning game against the Cubs and maybe squeaked one out against Mil., they'd be 1/2 game out of first.

They will come back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Here's why the Reds can make the playoffs

UP, thanks, good post and love the good vibes!!!
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

i agree. however, i think we were 3 for 31 with RISP in that Cubs series, that is just embarrassing. i just dont see how with the bases loaded and one out twice we dont score and end it.

if Votto doesnt come back in the near future, we HAVE to pick up a bat somewhere, someone who can hit .300+ with a little pop - we're just lacking consistent high average batter.

we are fine. we are still above .500. the cards just got swept by colorado in a 4 game series. everyone has bad patches, and we have to expect it with the injuries we have right now. this is a young team and the guys that aren't hitting will start hitting, just give them time

Indeed. How many other seasons on June 9 are we above .500 and 3.5 games back? Let's enjoy what we've got and hope it continues into the next month. It's a long season, I love our chances if we're this close in August/September.
    Is it "next season" yet?

part of BBN

If the Reds could just get Votto, E-Vol, & EE back, there doesnt seem to be that much of a distance between them and the rest of the Central.
    The Cards/Cubs seem about the same level as us. Right now, the Brew Crew seems the front-runner.
    Gallarado ( however ya spell it ) is looking good and Hoffman has solidified their closing situation.

Quote Originally Posted by rocko View Post
    If the Reds could just get Votto, E-Vol, & EE back, there doesnt seem to be that much of a distance between them and the rest of the Central.
    The Cards/Cubs seem about the same level as us. Right now, the Brew Crew seems the front-runner.
    Gallarado ( however ya spell it ) is looking good and Hoffman has solidified their closing situation.
    Yeah if they can get Votto, EE and Volquez back, say by the all star break, AND add an impact bat at or before the break I could see them making a serious run.

To be honest, I would kind of like to see EE come back and have a hot month or two before the break, and then package him in a deal to Seattle for Beltre.

Some mild hope for optimism, depending on how you look at it: At this point last year the Reds were 27-29. Now were 29-27. A positive trend to be sure, but is it enough of an improvement to improve a below average team to a playoff contender? I think we need a lot more offense at this point.

Not that I wouldn't love for them to find an impact bat for left field, but frankly, I'm not that worried about the offense in the second half of the season.

- EE will be back and will have his typical hot 2nd half
    - Bruce will not be as unlucky in 2nd half as he has been the first half and he'll heat up too
    - Hopefully Votto is back
    - I can't see Gonzo ending the season around the .200 mark. He'll heat up in the 2nd half
    - The bullpen will continue to be strong (may even get better once Burton turns it around)

The competition: I keep waiting for the Cardinals pitching to implode. They just aren't the best staff in the NL. I can't see them finishing with the best team ERA so they are primed for a downfall in the 2nd half. The Brewers don't have the starting rotation to finish on top. And I don't see the Cubs making a big comeback with Ramirez out for the season and now I think I heard that Harden is hurt

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Not that I wouldn't love for them to find an impact bat for left field, but frankly, I'm not that worried about the offense in the second half of the season.

- EE will be back and will have his typical hot 2nd half
    - Bruce will not be as unlucky in 2nd half as he has been the first half and he'll heat up too
    - Hopefully Votto is back
    - I can't see Gonzo ending the season around the .200 mark. He'll heat up in the 2nd half
    - The bullpen will continue to be strong (may even get better once Burton turns it around)

The competition: I keep waiting for the Cardinals pitching to implode. They just aren't the best staff in the NL. I can't see them finishing with the best team ERA so they are primed for a downfall in the 2nd half. The Brewers don't have the starting rotation to finish on top. And I don't see the Cubs making a big comeback with Ramirez out for the season and now I think I heard that Harden is hurt
    According to OBM's post on the LRG, this seems doubtful now.

DeRosa anyone?? I really see him as HUGE possibility now

Well If EE is done for the year the two guys I would really like to see the Reds go after are Beltre and Aubrey Huff. Beltre is by far the better fielder and could probably put up solid numbers for a 3rd baseman in GABP. Huff is the better bat I think and can play some 3rd but not at the level that Beltre can.

Good post. It's easy to look at bad offense and get frustrated but that is really the only area this team is not very good in (still a little sketchy base running but leagues better than the past.) The defense is way better. Pitching has more depth and experience.

I love positive threads like this. It truly sickens me when "Reds fans" talk so much crap about a young, beat up team that is right in the thick of the division race. Kudos

Losing makes you impatient.....it happens...

Turn Off Ads?