Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2009 MLB draft thread (day one)

Re: Official 2009 MLB draft thread (day one)

We can do better than White or Minor. Poor.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Callis had the picks, for sure.

Selig announcing these picks is hilarious. Chester Hill!

Signability ruling here, folks.

I still think we take Crow

Shelby Miller > White/Minor

Is it me or does it look like everytime Bud comes out he looks like they pulled him away from the buffet table?

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Sounds like Callis nailed it with his predictions.
    Yup, its why I posted it. He used stronger language than "fairly certain"

Get ready for Alex White ladies and gentlemen.........
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Well this seems to be lining up VERY well for us.

Kyle Gibson's path to becoming the highest-drafted baseball player from a metro-area high school hit a bump during the past few days.

The former Greenfield-Central standout revealed he had a broken bone in his right forearm. Gibson said he voluntarily had an MRI after reports that he might be facing serious elbow surgery. That came after scouts noted his fastball, normally in the mid-90s, dropped to the mid-80s late this season with the University of Missouri.

Gibson said he gave the MRI results to every major league organization on the advice of Randy Rowley, who eventually will be his agent.

"He told me, 'Kyle, the only thing that is going to cause you to drop is uncertainty about your health,' " Gibson said. "It causes people to write some stores that aren't quite like what happened. We wanted to take away any uncertainty from the process."

Gibson was ranked the No. 4 prospect in the draft by Baseball America. He expects to drop slightly in today's draft but stay in the first round. Brebeuf Jesuit's Jeff Wehmeier, the 16th overall pick in 1972, is believed to be the highest-drafted local player.

"People who didn't like me before are going to use it as a negative not to draft me," he said. "People who did like me will say, 'His elbow is fine, his arm will be fine in five weeks. We'll still draft him.' "

He's ready now
    This is Gibson's second dance with the draft.

In 2006, Philadelphia selected Greenfield-Central's rail-thin right-hander in the 36th round. Gibson was more interested in pitching for Missouri.

His father, who had nurtured his son through youth and travel baseball, wasn't too happy. Kyle had written an essay in first grade saying his goal was to be a major league player. The Gibsons even visited the Phillies' rookie-league affiliate. This was their dream.

"I was really mad at him for a couple of weeks," Harold Gibson said.

The timing just wasn't right. Gibson stood 6-5, but weighed just 168 pounds.

"He knew that physically, (the minor leagues) wasn't the place for him to be," Harold said. "For me, it was about putting in all this time and we've got this chance. You're there. You've got to take it."

Three years later, the elder Gibson acknowledges he was wrong.

"I thought he was showing a lack of confidence," Harold said. "Actually, it was him showing a lot of maturity. I misunderstood that."

Kyle blossomed into a star and was one of the 32 semifinalists for the Golden Spikes Award, given to the nation's top college player.

"I'm definitely excited," Kyle said about today's draft. "But I don't think it's completely set in yet.

"I've been blessed a lot to have the opportunities I've had. I've been blessed by parents who go to all my games and basically dedicated their lives to me and my sister."

Vision becomes real
    Harold, a home developer in Hancock County, played baseball at Greenfield-Central in the late 1970s. He later was a founder of the Indiana Bandits travel program that's based in Greenfield and coached his son until his high school days.

Kyle attended Catholic elementary schools and Cathedral High School as a freshman but transferred to Greenfield-Central before his sophomore year. He was the Indianapolis Star's Super Team Player of the Year as a senior in '06, when he went 8-6 with a 1.09 ERA. He also hit .447 and scored 36 runs as Greenfield's leadoff hitter. The Cougars won a Class 4A regional title.

"His ability to lead our younger players, and probably more importantly, the way he carried himself, was pretty special," said C.J. Glander, then the Greenfield-Central coach. "He was pretty humble. He certainly had every reason to be full of himself, but you never saw that from Kyle."

Everyone saw the potential, particularly once his body filled out.

Missouri assistant coach and recruiting coordinator Tony Vitello certainly did. He spotted Gibson at a tournament after his junior season and offered a scholarship immediately.

"It really took that one time to convince us," Missouri coach Tim Jamieson said. "Kyle is extremely athletic and his delivery was very polished."

The head coach was even more impressed after Gibson arrived.

"His character is off the charts," Jamieson said. "His work ethic is off the charts. His athleticism is off the charts. He had the package.

"The thing that made the difference for him was his willingness to do those things to get stronger, to get better. The only way that happens is through hard work."

If you want to call the guy who did this interview, you can reach Michael Pointer at (317) 444-2709

Calis says Matzek may last a few more picks cuz he wants alot of money . would the reds poney up the cash to take him

San Francisco takes Zack Wheeler with the 6th overall pick.

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Giants take Zack Wheeler RHP

Giants take Zack Wheeler

Matzek may be on the board at 8

Hobgoblin went 37th in the RedsZone mock draft signibility will turn this draft upside down. I would imagine financialy sound teams will be looking at some good players late in round 1.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

If the Reds are serious, they don't pass on Matzek or Crow because of money.

Turn Off Ads?