Turn Off Ads?
Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 38444546474849 LastLast

Thread: Official 2009 MLB draft thread (day one)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Official 2009 MLB draft thread (day one)

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Have you already given up on him? He's 23 and still making adjustments. Before the switch to the bullpen, he dominated, and he continues to show improvement this year. Once the walks come down, I think he'll be at least serviceable.
    He was a reliever in college, he was switched to starter early on in his Reds career, and is now a reliever again. He hasn't started a game since '07.

It seems the Reds have given up on him starting -- which puts his future with the organization in a large amount of doubt (considering the Reds haven't drafted and developed a decent bullpen pitcher in almost a decade).
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    He was a reliever in college, he was switched to starter early on in his Reds career, and is now a reliever again. He hasn't started a game since '07.

It seems the Reds have given up on him starting -- which puts his future with the organization in a large amount of doubt (considering the Reds haven't drafted and developed a decent bullpen pitcher in almost a decade).
    He was used as a starter to get him more innings so he could develop his secondary stuff. The whole time, the intention was to put him back in the bullpen. Since moving back, he's had an increase in velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    A few thoughts:

Whoever made the Rey Maualuga comparison earlier in this thread was right on the money. If you have a first round pitcher who falls into the second round who has high upside, you take him. It's pretty sad when I look at this draft compared to the Bengals and realize that Mike Brown actually gets it compared to Castellini.
    The Maualuga comp is a good one, but I disagree on the reason why.

I don't see how you can call a player in any sport a "first round" player if they don't get picked in the first round and every team in the league passes on them at least once. There's a reason that players like that fall into the second round. In Scheppers' case it seems to be due to his shoulder. In the case of Maualuga it's because he's a two-down LB and a space cadet who's gonna overrun a lot of routine plays in search of the big hit.

I think in this case the Reds are the ones that "get it" after a decade-plus of taking pitchers at the top of the draft who end up with arm issues, I'm glad they passed on a guy like Scheppers who has a questionable shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    I suspect that the Reds will draft high ceiling, fallen talent in later rounds.

it's a normal Buckley draft. at the top, he drafts and SIGNS lower ceiling players that really study the game and hit the ground running. with the exception of last year, he also goes for need, and Leake slots well behind Cueto and Volquez, and fits a team with only a couple of pitchers on its "top" list. A lefty would have been even better but there wasn't one that really fit the Reds timetable. I'm sure that the Reds would have loved to have traded down, but it's not an option.
    And if you see my post earlier in this thread (#666) you would see that I agree- and that's what I was/am hoping for after the Leake pick. I have no problem with the Leake pick, especially once you factor in his signability, assuming it allows the Reds to spend more money in the later rounds and take a chance on some guys that slide due to signability concerns. For instance, I would have loved to have a guy like Stassi in the 4th.

Even if the Reds don't end up shelling out a lot of sheckels in this draft, I would be happy to see them make another splash in Latin America. And even if that doesn't happen, let's hold our breath for a high-powered midseason acquisition.

Some of you have ripped into me for being frustrated with the Boxburger selection. I just want to note that I don't have any kind of beef with Boxburger specifically. I just really hope that Chris Buckley and Co. have a plan with guys like that, and aren't essentially punting sandwich picks to save money that won't be reinvested anytime soon. The broken Jermaine Dye trade and information I've received from some well-informed people indicate otherwise. To be clearer,Castellini and the Reds were severely affected by the economic events of the last nine months- more so than a lot of other owners and teams.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-11-2009 at 01:28 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

To reiterate what an earlier poster said, the MLB draft is like if the NBA started drafting high school freshmen.

And to reiterate what CTrent said about the MLB draft, any reaction is an overreaction.

These draftees will not wear Cincinnati Red for ~4 years and those who look at the MLB draft through the same lenses that they look at the NFL draft through will inevitably be disappointed. Some picks are made so that they can be signed, whether cheaply or at slot. Others are made to be overpaid for, in order to attain high round talent in late rounds of the draft. Others are made to select the true "best player available" at the pick. But NO team goes into the draft with a budget of $10billion and expects to sign every single pick. Expecting the Reds to be an exception to this is insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

The Indians plan on moving Alex White to the bullpen.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/plain...920.xml&coll=2

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

Oof.

In your FACE baseball america.

What would the reaction here be if we had taken White and then come out with this statement?
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by cincy09 View Post
    What would the reaction here be if we had taken White and then come out with this statement?
    Pandemonium.

Quote Originally Posted by cincy09 View Post
    I for one would have been ticked off. Drafting a reliever in the first round is a waste, IMO, unless you are drafting somewhere in the late 20's and he's clearly the BPA.

The Mariners drafted a reliever in the first round in 2006, 2007, and 2008. Good ol' Bill Bavasi.

Boy I sure don't get this. Relievers, while certainly not dime-a-dozen, can be found from many converted starters that perhaps don't develop a third or fourth pitch in their repertoire. I am definitely adamantly against drafting a reliever in round one.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Boy I sure don't get this. Relievers, while certainly not dime-a-dozen, can be found from many converted starters that perhaps don't develop a third or fourth pitch in their repertoire. I am definitely adamantly against drafting a reliever in round one.
    I know a certain scout who will remain nameless who is adamantly against drafting any reliever in the first 5 rounds because you can find so many live arms or starters who can really bring it when moved to the pen in rounds 6-15. I think taking a reliever in the first two rounds is a waste and even the third round is pushing it.

I for one would have been ticked off. Drafting a reliever in the first round is a waste, IMO, unless you are drafting somewhere in the late 20's and he's clearly the BPA.

The Mariners drafted a reliever in the first round in 2006, 2007, and 2008. Good ol' Bill Bavasi.
    Morrow is going back to starting. I think CE said it best in that if you get a starter and he doesn't pan out you have the chance of getting a reliever. If you get a reliever and he doesn't pan out you get Ryan Wagner or Matt Anderson.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    Morrow is going back to starting. I think CE said it best in that if you get a starter and he doesn't pan out you have the chance of getting a reliever. If you get a reliever and he doesn't pan out you get Ryan Wagner or Matt Anderson.
    Heck, Wagner isn't even close to what you wind up with. Wagner at least threw meaningful innings at the major league level, and for a short time over his first two seasons, was bringing value.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Heck, Wagner isn't even close to what you wind up with. Wagner at least threw meaningful innings at the major league level, and for a short time over his first two seasons, was bringing value.
    Until everyone figured out he couldn't throw his slider for a strike. Ever.

Then it just became a "if you see it spinning, don't swing" game for hitters.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?