Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 49 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2009 MLB draft thread (day one)

Official 2009 MLB draft thread (day one)

We're about 50 minutes from the 2009 draft. The other thread is getting long so we may as well start another to discuss the draft and the Reds picks.

According to Baseball America, the Reds will get to choose between LHP Tyler Matzek, RHP Aaron Crow, and RHP Alex White, with White most likely being the choice.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Official 2009 MLB draft thread (day one)

White was my pick if Crow went before 8, but I wont be terribly upset if we get him. I think he has a future even if he bust out of being a starter.

Alex White probably is going to get more money than Aaron Crow. The Reds probably have White higher on their board than Crow. BA has White ranked #6 and Crow ranked #7, I'm just not understanding how picking White is going cheap.

What if Donovan Tate drops to the Reds?

Is there ANY chance Tate falls to the Reds? I would love to get him.

Tate wont make it that far unless something strange happens

There is talk that his bonus demands might scare away some teams

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by berryluther View Post
    What if Donovan Tate drops to the Reds?
    Just my opinion, but I let him keep falling. I'm going with the polished arm round 1 in this draft for sure. The Gibson news was too bad, I was hoping to pick him up. I'd be happy with Crow or White. Scheppers if you can pay him.

Resident PED Expert

I wouldnt take Tate just on the money we spent on Duran and Co. last year.

I am fine with White. He is a safe safe pick IMO but, only if Crow and Matzek are off the board. If they are there, then they are the better arms. Why pass on them unless money is a factor? It would speak volumes about the Front Office if they pass on those two. Some of the frugleness ranting in some of these other posts would be VERY justified.

I posted this in another thread but Keith Law put this up about 25 minutes ago:

Braves narrow choices

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 | Print Entry

Posted by Keith Law

Atlanta is down to either UNC RHP Alex White or Vandy lefty Mike Minor at No. 7. Whoever the Braves don't take, the Reds will likely snatch up one pick later. Washington was previously on Minor for the No. 10 pick, but if he's off the board, expect the Nats to select Stanford reliever Drew Storen instead.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Yikes...I guess we should hope the Braves take Minor then.

Unbelievable and just as I suspected. I lay down to take a nap and think to myself when I get up I will be met with an awful, penny pinching #1 draft pick and lo and behold Alex White/Mike Minor is in our crosshairs. I just cannot fathom allowing talent like Green, Matzek and Crow (amongst others) drop on by to the teams who are willing to spend. It's an absolute shame and they wonder why football has become king in the nation.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

And now I'm scared again it's going to be Minor. I really hope the Braves take him at No. 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Unbelievable and just as I suspected. I lay down to take a nap and think to myself when I get up I will be met with an awful, penny pinching #1 draft pick and lo and behold Alex White/Mike Minor is in our crosshairs. I just cannot fathom allowing talent like Green, Matzek and Crow (amongst others) drop on by to the teams who are willing to spend. It's an absolute shame and they wonder why football has become king in the nation.
    Remember last year when they said it was a slam dunk that we were taking Beckham....

I have a lot of confidence in Buckley and Co. I really think they know what they are doing.

Turn Off Ads?